Thread: Pinball FX 2 - bugs/issues and recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pinball FX 2 - bugs/issues and recommendations

This thread is created to assist Zen Pinball gurus in fixing bugs/annoyances and offer some recommendations (which may end up in its own thread). Let us try and keep it focused on this

Issues found so far. All of these reflect playing pinball fx 2 at 1920 x 1080 in portrait view on a win 7 pc.

- I was playing world war hulk and I had placed the dmd at the lower left since its a fairly large apron area. Well, I activated the arena, and oops, the dmd is covering the flippers since there is no apron on that mode. Ouch! So no dmd placement at the bottom, though I will try the small size dmd

- it's a bit of a pain to place the display in portrait but I appreciate having it, so just a little pain is not a big deal. Would be great to have the ability to switch to portrait within the app

- I wish we could zoom out a bit, it almost seems like it should be, some of the writing on the apron is not visible though i need to test all cameras

- With the dmd back at the top, the nice upper area is not really visible, not a bug but this connects to the camera view issue where if the camera was pulled back a bit more, this would not be an issue

- most of the views work but there is no perfect view, so hopefully more are coming.

- I mentioned the dmd bug earlier, where if you pick large dmd and upper left, part of it is offscreen.

Well done zen staff!

A few more:

Quote Originally Posted by DjParagon View Post
    Hey, is there any way to hide the camera and pause symbols on the top left screen ? They are quite huge and disturbing...
    I agree, I would suggest:

- remove it completely
    - making them smaller, MUCH smaller!
    - have it appear only on mouse movement
    - have it semi transparent

It seems to be me a left-over of a touch interface since u can change the view by clicking on that button while playing (but of course on the pc, we would just press "g" )

Others:
    - I would recommend some kind of a countdown counter when unpausing the game. Lost a ball because of that...

- one of your "help" screens shows the Mars table. What a tease

note:
    - I would recommend some kind of a countdown counter when unpausing the game. Lost a ball because of that...

this is actually in the game, but it either does not work if I use the mouse to paus (by clicking on the pause symbol) or it does not work if the ball is cradled on the flipper.

Yeah, I was just about to post that the countdown works perfectly using a 360 pad. ^^

Throw one more big vote in for an option to remove the Pause and Camera overlay buttons. They are nothing but a useless visual distraction to me, which is a shame because these tables are otherwise looking *stunning* in 1080p Portrait mode (for Portrait mode and other upcoming cabinet features alone I will be buying/rebuying as many tables as you provide - even though I already own the full Zen 2 table set on PS3). Also - thanks for bringing this to Steam! Nothing could make me switch to Windows 8, so this is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by JTenebrous; 05-11-2013 at 01:27 AM.

My thoughts:

1) pause and cam buttons: hovering them displays them but if the mouse is not on them the buttons disappear. You can change the cam with c so the big button is useless. I know it makes sense on tablets etc. but Windows users should at least be able to get rid of them. Something like "display buttons yes/no" in the settings.

2) Adjustable DMD. Not that difficult to implement...you can freely move the DMD anywhere on your screen (options menu)

3) Highscores: "remember me" function. If you play single player entering the same three letters all the time is not convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanderL View Post
    My thoughts:

1) pause and cam buttons: hovering them displays them but if the mouse is not on them the buttons disappear. You can change the cam with c so the big button is useless. I know it makes sense on tablets etc. but Windows users should at least be able to get rid of them. Something like "display buttons yes/no" in the settings.

2) Adjustable DMD. Not that difficult to implement...you can freely move the DMD anywhere on your screen (options menu)

3) Highscores: "remember me" function. If you play single player entering the same three letters all the time is not convenient.
    Totally agree. I also suffer a bug entering the Arena, the ball simply vanished, right flip stay up, nothing i can do except quit the game.

Does anyone else have major flipper lag?

Quote Originally Posted by Praag View Post
    Totally agree. I also suffer a bug entering the Arena, the ball simply vanished, right flip stay up, nothing i can do except quit the game.
    Yeah, that's also been an issue with the Windows 8 version of WWH since beta. Still not fixed.

View 1 or 2 seem to be the best for a cabinet. The angle on 1 seems slightly better, but I wish I could pull it back just slightly.

I do wish you could disable all special cameras though. Right now it goes back into them every time (launching ball normally, launching ball from left "Hand" plunger on Wolverine, Darth Vader talking to Boba Fett, etc.) You can hit the camera button during it and go back to your full table view, but it doesn't stick.

Agree on removing the massive pause button.

Agree that there is no good place for a medium-sized DMD. Lower left seemed ok, but on some tables (Biolab) it actually overlaps the flippers a little. Being able to move this to another monitor (or real DMD! ) would be nice.

And someone mentioned it somewhere - a brightness option would be nice. Seems to be a bit too bright - it's a bit harder than it should be to see the ball against the yellow Wolverine playfield, for example.

I posted another thread about getting Xpadder working for my controls. It would be nice to have support for any controller (besides Xbox 360 controller).

Honestly, most of my complaints are cabinet-centric (for which I know support is going to come later). The game is fantastic and totally playable with my Xpadder setup. Maybe at some point I'll start a cabinet-mode wishlist thread or something.
    Last edited by Roo5676; 05-11-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Default Game runs at 500x speed!

Okay, I don't know if it's ACTUALLY 500x speed, but as soon as I get to the main menu I can see that the game just starts speeding up like crazy. The flaming Pinball FX logo's fire animation starts speeding up like CRAZY, and when I actually load up a table it's INSANELY fast - way too fast to play. Everything from the character animations on the table to the actual ball physics are sped up.

I've tried updating my drivers, running in windows compatibility mode, changing the executable's CPU affinity to a single processor, changing the resolution, trying to go into windowed mode (you can't), launching the executable directly from its installed Steamapps location, etc. etc.

I'm stumped.

Anyone else have this problem? I just bought this game and would love to play it, but it's completely unplayable like this.

See here for others with the same problem and the solution they discovered:-

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226980...8532661899236/

I hope this works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by iCub View Post
    See here for others with the same problem and the solution they discovered:-

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226980...8532661899236/

I hope this works for you.
    Bingo. Thanks a lot! Now I can enjoy this game.

I did a bunch of searching too before posting a thread, sorry! I hope others can find the solution as easily as I did. It's a shame it's such a non-obvious bug though.

For those who don't want to click links - make sure you have Vertical Sync set to "Let 3D Application Decide" in your Nvidia control panel - then make a new profile for Pinball FX2, and set Vertical Sync to ON.

My problem was that I had Vertical Sync turned off by default in my Nvidia Control Panel for ALL games and software. I guess Pinball FX2 REQUIRES VSync to be on or it doesn't run properly, hence the sped up effect.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for your link!

Default Update the 5.1 sounds - Possibilty to move the dmd with mouse- Hide pause/cam button

Update the 5.1 sounds please:

During the game, all sounds are in the center speakers, except the sounds of Special Effects ?? That is very unfortunate...
    For me, your greats music’s themes during the game should be in the 4 others speakers...

-Give us the possibilty to move the DMD with the mouse control, make this dream comes true !

And please, hide the pause/camera on the top who disturb the visibility of the game...

Thanks
    Last edited by Fpala; 05-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fpala View Post
    Update the 5.1 sounds please:

During the game, all sounds are in the center speakers, except the sounds of Special Effects ?? That is very unfortunate...
    For me, your greats music’s themes during the game should be in the 4 others speakers...

-Give us the possibilty to move the DMD with the mouse control, make this dream comes true !

And please, hide the pause/camera on the top who disturb the visibility of the game...

Thanks
    It would be awesome if I could move the DMD to another screen. It would be a dream come true if I could see the DMD on my real DMD.

Default [3D Vision] Nearly PERFECT in 3D but would it be possible if...

Hi

Firstly thank you so much for rendering this game properly, which has made it a joy to play in stereoscopic 3D (using nVidia 3D Vision anyway). It is a blast!

There are a couple of issues though. Both are minor, but it would be the icing on the yummiest cake if they were solved!

1) Dot Matrix Display: This is rendered at the wrong depth and it is hard to look at in 3D. No worries, you can turn it off which for the most part is completely cool. Problem is, some tables have mini-games where you need the display to play. Would it be possible to have an additional dot matrix option which enables it during the mini-game moments? That would solve this issue.

2) There is also a bloom-like effect used now and again on the flashes which looks a bit odd in 3D. Would it be possible to add addition graphics option which allows the gamer to toggle certain effects?

Many thanks!

Andy

If you are still unable to launch Pinball FX2 today please try the following and let me know if it works or not:

1. Go offline with Steam (“Steam\Go Offline…”)
    2. Browse the “Program Files\Steam” folder (where Steam is installed) and find the following file: “226980\remote\profile.dat" – 226980 is our app’s ID.
    3. Delete profile.dat
    4. Launch PFX2
    5. Proceed to the main menu
    6. Exit the game
    7. Go online with the Steam client
    8. Attempt to launch PFX2
    9. Steam will sense conflict between the local profile and the one on Steam Cloud, and pop up a screen on which select “UPLOAD TO THE STEAM CLOUD”
    10. The game should now start.

In 1080x1920 portrait mode, load a table, alt-tab out then alt-tab back to the game. The game crashes. The crash doesn't occur in landscape mode.

Quote Originally Posted by GipsonLens View Post
    In 1080x1920 portrait mode, load a table, alt-tab out then alt-tab back to the game. The game crashes. The crash doesn't occur in landscape mode.
    I cannot reproduce this crash.

Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    I cannot reproduce this crash.
    It might be table specific. For me, the consistent repro is (in portrait mode) to select Secrets of the Deep or Biolab then Alt-Tab out and in after it's done loading. I tried loading Pasha then Alt-Tabbing and it didn't crash. Also of note is after exiting Pasha, I loaded Secrets of the Deep (second table loaded that game) then Alt-Tabbed out and in and it didn't crash.

I also tried Alt-Tabbing after loading Rome, Shaman, Tesla, El Dorado, and V12 as the first table and didn't crash.
    Last edited by GipsonLens; 05-18-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    If you are still unable to launch Pinball FX2 today please try the following and let me know if it works or not:

1. Go offline with Steam (“Steam\Go Offline…”)
    2. Browse the “Program Files\Steam” folder (where Steam is installed) and find the following file: “226980\remote\profile.dat" – 226980 is our app’s ID.
    3. Delete profile.dat
    4. Launch PFX2
    5. Proceed to the main menu
    6. Exit the game
    7. Go online with the Steam client
    8. Attempt to launch PFX2
    9. Steam will sense conflict between the local profile and the one on Steam Cloud, and pop up a screen on which select “UPLOAD TO THE STEAM CLOUD”
    10. The game should now start.

I have tried all the steps above however steam doesn't sense a conflict, the exe remains running but the game does not boot

Update: After several more tries at the above procedure, and a cache verification in steam I finally got it running, however I lost all my settings and scores...

perhaps in future we could have a better way to get the game running after a patch?

still loving the game
    Last edited by Slartibartfaust; 05-20-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: new info

Default Pasha - magic carpet bug

On Pasha, If you activate the magic carpet when book is closed (it says "Show me your magic carpet driving skills"), the 5 carpet lights start flashing, and then the two turn on. The 5 lights remain stuck in this state for the rest of the game, even if you later activate the magic carpet with book of tales on.

Small issue on Epic Quest: whenever you get the extra ball by hitting the correct hole in the Orcanium, it messes up the music. For example, if the hole also triggered a fight, there will be no music while the fight starts, then after a few seconds it will play cutscene/show music instead of the battle music. Not a big deal, but it's weird to fight in dead silence

It's also annoying that when I get a new epic item with worse stats than my current item, it doesn't seem to light up that item in purple on the table (as I didn't equip it, I guess). I'm never going to equip something that's a downgrade, but this makes it harder to light all 4 purple names and get the 10 million point bonus for doing so. Not a bug, but it "bugs" me.

And while I'm at it...I wish it wouldn't give me items that are laughably bad compared to my current one (like less than 100 when my current one is 500+). It makes me scared to let guests play this table on my account. What if they accidentally make that swap? Especially since it often starts with the worse one selected. I think I could potentially be totally screwed and unable to win any fights to even get decent equipment back. If you could do multiple local profiles or something it wouldn't be a problem. Or if you could play in some sort of guest mode on that table. Obviously I wouldn't want to lose many hours of progess by doing a table reset.

Is there any plans to put an option into Epic Quest so that the table doesn't level up?
    That idea goes against the concept of pinball, the playing field is not level, and I am loathe to even record my high-scores because quite frankly I don't feel that I've earnt it, because most of the work was done on my previous attempts.
    Please remove this feature or allow those of us who like tables to be fair to be able to play it normally.
    This was really, really, not one of you guys better ideas. And thats putting it politely.
    Last edited by tizerist; 06-10-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tizerist View Post
    Is there any plans to put an option into Epic Quest so that the table doesn't level up?
    That idea goes against the concept of pinball, the playing field is not level, and I am loathe to even record my high-scores because quite frankly I don't feel that I've earnt it, because most of the work was done on my previous attempts.
    Please remove this feature or allow those of us who like tables to be fair to be able to play it normally.
    This was really, really, not one of you guys better ideas. And thats putting it politely.
    Well obviously people are split on this. I've heard a lot of people say they love the leveling concept and want to see it more. I do like the table a lot -- it's a unique and fun concept -- but I agree the scores are skewed based on how much you've played and I wouldn't want to see it used across the board, either (which I doubt they are planning).

I don't know how they would be able to remove or change anything on it at this point, either. What would you do, lock you to a certain level or something? What level? 1? You're not going to get any high scores then. 100? People would say that wasn't fair. And what equipment would you have? That affects the monster fights.

Just play the table for fun and don't worry about the score so much (there are tons of other tables for that). I wouldn't expect it to be a tournament table or anything.

Yep I would say just play and have fun.. Epic Quest is more of an arcade game than pinball and I myself love the concept.. I really don't care about high scores I just play it when I can and enjoy them all very much..

Epic Quest is great the way it is. It resembles an RPG with level ups and disabling XP would rip the heart out as the table is all about character progression, fighting monsters and loot. There are many other tables without the level ups so there's a fun table for all personal likes and dislikes.

Ok I'm sorrY if that sounded a bit blunt, I agree, it is awesome. Yeah I dunno, perhaps an option to lock at a level. It would take a lifetime to reach the real goodies, but....the playing field would be more fairly balanced.
    The whole concept of 'those three balls' is a bit skewed otherwise.
    Last edited by tizerist; 06-10-2013 at 06:56 PM.