Thread: Suggestions for cabinets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Suggestions for cabinets

Hi all,

just some suggestions:

1) allow any keys to be used (so i can map to cab!)
    2) support auto rotate of game field (without having to rotate screen in driver settings)
    3) allow setting and memory of view for all tables without having to select each time

Already downloaded three packs :-)

regards

shifters67

Not just for cabinets, I'd like to second having another way to get at portrait mode. Having to muck about with windows settings every time I want five minutes of pinball seems entirely unnecessary. How about a command line switch or setting in the options in-game? I'm guessing this has something to do with how you support the mouse cursor, but it'd be much appreciated if you'd consider it for the future

Default Very disappointed, but the fixes should be simple

Quote Originally Posted by shifters67 View Post
    Hi all,

just some suggestions:

1) allow any keys to be used (so i can map to cab!)
    2) support auto rotate of game field (without having to rotate screen in driver settings)
    3) allow setting and memory of view for all tables without having to select each time

Already downloaded three packs :-)

regards

shifters67
    All of these would be great. How about a dual screen option to put a static graphic and the DMD on a second monitor?
    How about navigating to different tables with the left and right flipper buttons instead of the mouse? I would also like to be able to launch each game from the command line and fully quit a table with the ESC key. The flippers are also really, really lagged. It's almost unplayable.

Until I can at least remap the keys in the game, I'm not going to buy any table. Once I can do that, I will buy every single one.

All that said, the game does look awesome on my cabinet (after I rotate the display). I am excited to get everything working without a mouse and without rewiring the inside of my cabinet and changing the controls in all my other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan View Post
    Not just for cabinets, I'd like to second having another way to get at portrait mode. Having to muck about with windows settings every time I want five minutes of pinball seems entirely unnecessary. How about a command line switch or setting in the options in-game? I'm guessing this has something to do with how you support the mouse cursor, but it'd be much appreciated if you'd consider it for the future
    Have you tried Alt+Shift+[arrow keys] or Ctrl+Alt+[arrow keys]? Many video drivers will rotate the screen for you with those shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    Have you tried Alt+Shift+[arrow keys] or Ctrl+Alt+[arrow keys]? Many video drivers will rotate the screen for you with those shortcuts.
    I have put together a script for that with autohotkey. The script switches to portrait, starts FX2 and switches back after the program closes.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?sh...24422&p=225277

Ok this is awesome I bought two packs already. It needs more options for the vpin cabinet makers though! Alot!.

It needs support for 3 monitors dmd, playfield, and backglass. If 2 then playfield and dmd backglass combined.
    The views are too far back in portrait mode. They should make a view that replicates a 38" high table and a 6' player.
    You need to allow the ability to remove the pause and camera buttons taking up huge real estate on the pf
    Betabrite support
    Custom Table Navigation Gui That Is More Minimal
    Rumble support that can be wired to a shaker motor

I can't think of anything else right now.

The above comments sound great. I'd really love to focus on creating a cabinet setup if these options were available.

Just yesterday I got my Samsung SyncMaster 204B vertically sitting on a laptop stand that is just good enough to hold the screen stable in a good angle and am controlling it now with a gamepad controller which is already awesome! Then I read about a "cab setup" for the first time on this forum and was wondering what they meant by it.. Oh yeah I'd love to create a full cabinet setup with pinball fx/zen pinball.

Implementing functionality for the above suggestions would be the greatest update!

Come on ZEN. Just lay a TV flat on the table and adjust a view for it in your engine. Should be two hours work. Making a patch maybe another two.

Gesendet von meinem Q10 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mpad View Post
    Come on ZEN. Just lay a TV flat on the table and adjust a view for it in your engine. Should be two hours work. Making a patch maybe another two.
    That part works just fine for cab owners. It's quite playable on a cabinet with XPadder and AHK scripting. The consensus view seems to be that moving the DMD to a second monitor (or a PinDMD) is the only missing feature for cabinet nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeiram View Post
    That part works just fine for cab owners. It's quite playable on a cabinet with XPadder and AHK scripting. The consensus view seems to be that moving the DMD to a second monitor (or a PinDMD) is the only missing feature for cabinet nirvana.
    That part does NOT work just fine. Granted, they do have portrait views but none of them replicate the view you would have standing in front of a table. The views are as if you were hovering about 6 feet directly over the table. Everything is small and flat looking. Check out TPA for how a proper portrait view should be. No, theirs isn't perfect either but it is a lot better than Zen's. The tables themselves are great and play great in landscape on a console but the portrait views for Steam suck.

That's what I meant. Views are very bad. And in my eyes the most easiest thing to fix. These are real time rendered graphics, so one could even put in a slider to adjust angle and perspective on the fly.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It's not as awesome as Future Pinball running with BAM and head tracking, but I don't consider it any worse than Visual Pinball. Everyone who's played FX2 tables on my cab has been wowed by them.

Zeiram, Do you have or play The Pinball Arcade? To me, pinball is all about whether it "feels right", which is really hard to describe. With me, it is a combination of graphics, physics, and viewpoint. TPA comes the closest to hitting all three. Zen would be right up there with them if their view was adjusted to be more up front rather than overhead. In fact, I think it would rate rate as my favorite if not for the subpar viewpoint because I really like the themes and deep missions.

It has been a while but I just did not enjoy VP or FP. FP, while it had very good graphics, the poor physics just killed the experience. It is furthest from "feeling right". VP is better with the physics but also just never felt like real pinball to me. Zen and TPA have different physics but they both feel more like pinball to me. Graphics for both are great and, as I said earlier, if Zen would just adjust the portrait view to more front and centered (like the landscape view), it would be a near perfect pinball experience.

I think the best option would be for Zen to offer views for both of our tastes and get rid of some of those weird views where the table tilts back and forth or zooms in and out. who wants a view like that? No pinball table in existence does that!

Yes, I've played TPA a lot, and have bought many tables on multiple platforms. I was as excited as many cab owners when Farsight bought a Virtuapin for development last fall, and dutifully installed the steam version on my cab when it came out. Honestly I didn't think it was appreciably better than the VP or FP tables I'd already installed that have functioning dynamic back glasses, DMDs, and analog controls. I tend to cherry pick which engine's treatment of a table I like best in my PBX setup, and like you I weigh physics, visuals, and cab hardware support when making the decision. I tend to prefer FP with BAM unless the physics are bad. That's been changing a lot with Zed physics. Centaur is a good example of a Table where I've hopped between engines as improvements have been made. The FP version was sluggish and floaty until recently. VP has also seen a lot of improvements in both physics, transparency, and lighting. Uncle Willy's Monster Bash is awesome if you have the hardware to push it. If you haven't tried them in a while you might take another look. The Unity3d engine is also worth keeping an eye on. If TPA ever supports other features on my cab, I'll buy yet more versions, but for the time being it doesn't cut it for me.

I tend to give FX2 a fair bit of slack with respect to physics since they aren't recreations, and the shenanigans that happen on many of the Zen tables cater to video gamers - which I'm completely fine with. They're creative and fun, and a welcome addition to the 250 or so tables on my cab.

Quote Originally Posted by priested View Post
    I think the best option would be for Zen to offer views for both of our tastes and get rid of some of those weird views where the table tilts back and forth or zooms in and out. who wants a view like that? No pinball table in existence does that!
    Try view 1 or 1w if you haven't. It's not perfect (sides are maybe cutoff just a tad), but short of a truly tweaked cabinet camera it feels like a pretty natural position to me on a cabinet. It's slightly lower than view 2, which seems to be the best "fit" for the screen. I suppose it could depend on your height and stance as to what feels "right" to you.

Keep in mind that I'm guessing that all the camera settings are heavily based on the way they are in landscape mode. You don't have to use one of the ones that zooms or pans -- those are really only needed for landscape where that's used as a compromise to see more detail and also see the whole table.

We updated the game today to include:

-Movable DMD (can be placed onto a separate screen and positioned/scaled as needed via config files)
    -Touch screen controls

Enjoy!

Plus support for colored dmds like pin2dmd

Small suggestion: please make an option to disable any camera movement, but especially for the plunger cam.
    All that movement and zooming whom the camera goes from table view to the plunger makes me puke

Small suggestion: please make an option to disable any camera movement, but especially for the plunger cam.
    All that movement and zooming whom the camera goes from table view to the plunger makes me puke
    +1 to this too please. Camera movement is not required on cabinets. Also, could an option be added to disable the scrolling while in 'attract mode' too? I'd much prefer a full, top down view of the table.

Thank you.

Improved playfield size would definitely be a good thing. With all the views available, i can't find one that Id say is spot on for the cab...ball looks too small and flippers are quite high up the playfield etc. Im sure a tweek here and there would make all the difference.

The ultimate would be the option to tweek the size ourselves i.e. a custom view option.

But not complaining...official cab support is a great option to have.

Plus...(unless there is already and I can't find it)...a backglass pack.

Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Improved playfield size would definitely be a good thing. With all the views available, i can't find one that Id say is spot on for the cab...ball looks too small and flippers are quite high up the playfield etc. Im sure a tweek here and there would make all the difference.

The ultimate would be the option to tweek the size ourselves i.e. a custom view option.

But not complaining...official cab support is a great option to have.

Plus...(unless there is already and I can't find it)...a backglass pack.
    i'm complaining abit , i would like a custom camera for all tables..camera 8..let us set the zoom and angle ect..few sliders is all we need for height,angle and zoom...it would be a godsend.

A lot of great ideas for cabinet-mode improvements in this thread (particularly requests of support for force-feedback, real DMD and improved cameras etc.)

Are there any updates coming soon that are including some of the suggestions in this thread please?

This is definitely needed. As well as a static camera for any smaller play fields and side flippers. I hate when the camera suddenly moves to a certain portion of the play field. An add a player button would be great. I wouldn't mind if zen created their own front end. Back box support would be nice for vertical play field elements such as paranormal and sorcerers lair.

Default Suggestions for cabinets

May have to see what dmd I have (never used it) and see if I can get it working with Zen.

Ive said this before, but for me, the game would be miles better if the playfield could be size adjusted...at the moment, whilst CS is good and definitely easy to set up, it could be improved by having the playfield resizable (custom). When I'm playing, part of the table is missing and the flippers start half way up the table (slight exaggeration). Being able to adjust this somehow would be really good. (Hint hint)

Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    When I'm playing, part of the table is missing and the flippers start half way up the table (slight exaggeration). Being able to adjust this somehow would be really good. (Hint hint)
    Don't know which view you are using but camera 2 works pretty well for me. I like that the flippers are not in the very bottom of that view so that it more resembles real pinball cabinets where the flippers start a bit up in the table:
    http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/...790724-cl2.jpg

Support dinput-based sensors (e.g. nudge sensor) so that we can map the X/Y axes to the analog nudge "left stick" that PFX2 already grabs through XInput. I know chances are slim for this, but I thought I'd ask

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-Q View Post
    Support dinput-based sensors (e.g. nudge sensor) so that we can map the X/Y axes to the analog nudge "left stick" that PFX2 already grabs through XInput. I know chances are slim for this, but I thought I'd ask
    You can already do this using xpadder