Thread: I just love this game!

Default I just love this game!

Hi there people just wanted to share my joy with you

I've clocked 18 hours on it already, and I bought it just a couple of days ago on steam.
    This is almost unheard of for me since I have a very hectic work situation.

I have 3 dlc packs this far: the "core", the "zen" and the "Marvel pinball original pack"
    My fav tables are "Pasha" and "Rome" followed by the rest in "core" and "zen" packages.

The Marvel pack left me a bit cold actually, they are too easy to play and gives too many points IMO.
    On my second round/game of "spiderman" I played for 20 minutes!
    This is not "right" for a total newbie to the table as I am.
    So if I were the developer I'd seriously look into the mechanics of the Marvel pack tables, making them harder and thus more rewarding to play.

Marvel and Star Wars is all good, but not my cup of tea.
    I much more look forward to "adventure" tables like "Pasha" and "Treasures Of The Deep"

I've been a Pinball geek for 20 years or so and I had almost given up getting something as good as say "big race usa" or "timeshock" from Pro Pinball

And then I found this!

I am a thrilled and very satisfied customer!

Cheers, Kim

Hey there and welcome to pinball fx2!

I'm with ya on the hours....I'm up to almost 50 hours myself. As far as the tables go, I find that they seem to be heading in a certain direction with tables. As they are developing, it seems that they go more for lengthier games, as they don't need to get more money from you. It's also been stated that they have purposely made subtle changes to make them last longer, since they are story driven. Personally, it's what got me hooked. I love being able to play a table for a while to try to finish the story, so to speak. As far as points go, I don't see why it matters, as long as the table is fun. If everyone is getting the same points, it's still competitive. That being said, I can see how it would be hard to get a feel for these changes if your used to old school pinball rules. Anyways, if you would like some friendly competition, feel free to add me on steam. There is also a thread for that. Again, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by xaphian View Post
    Hey there and welcome to pinball fx2!

I'm with ya on the hours....I'm up to almost 50 hours myself. As far as the tables go, I find that they seem to be heading in a certain direction with tables. As they are developing, it seems that they go more for lengthier games, as they don't need to get more money from you. It's also been stated that they have purposely made subtle changes to make them last longer, since they are story driven. Personally, it's what got me hooked. I love being able to play a table for a while to try to finish the story, so to speak. As far as points go, I don't see why it matters, as long as the table is fun. If everyone is getting the same points, it's still competitive. That being said, I can see how it would be hard to get a feel for these changes if your used to old school pinball rules. Anyways, if you would like some friendly competition, feel free to add me on steam. There is also a thread for that. Again, welcome!
    Hmm I see your points... But in my opinion a pinball game is not meant to last more than max 10 minutes if you are not on a complete roll where everything and Lady Luck is looking your way...
    After all that is the spirit of Pinball as I see it 40% luck and 60% knowledge of the board or something like that.
    If it gets too easy to keep the ball up on the playing field the magic goes out of it for me.
    Keeping the ball up for longer periods of time should only be awarded the exeedingly good or those with a lucky streak
    Others may disagree, but I think it should be hard to keep one ball going for more than say 3 to 5 minutes.
    Story driven... yep I am all for that, but we are not playing Skyrim here
    See what I mean?

All the best, Kim
    Last edited by OnkelGrusom; 05-28-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: forgot something

So for me... the perfect virtual pinball tables would be:
    big race usa, timeshock, pasha, rome, treasures of the deep and biolab. The rest that I have played from ZEN are good too but somewhat more "shallow" IMO, too easy to keep the ball from falling down etc...

I mean: look to pro pinball "big race usa" or "timeshock"... THESE were devious but still infectious pinball games.

I am old school, but I DO love what ZEN are doing here on what I consider their best tables.
    So keep it up ZEN! More tables like Rome and Pasha please
    (relatively small points and "hard" to play/master)

All the best, Kim (OnkelGrusom)
    Last edited by OnkelGrusom; 05-28-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling check

Just because it's pretty easy to keep the ball in play doesn't mean it's easy to complete the modes and missions. In fact, it seems like I often die on missions because many throw something in that changes the shots or the strategy (or because the timer makes me rush shots). I find it more enjoyable playing towards goals than just trying to "stay alive" as the only goal.

The tables are all quite deep if you give them a chance. They are designed to have less cheap drains (i.e. straight down the middle) that would be frustrating to many people. But there is a lot to do on all of them. I've played for 75+ hours since launch and only seen about 3 of the wizard modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo5676 View Post
    Just because it's pretty easy to keep the ball in play doesn't mean it's easy to complete the modes and missions. In fact, it seems like I often die on missions because many throw something in that changes the shots or the strategy (or because the timer makes me rush shots). I find it more enjoyable playing towards goals than just trying to "stay alive" as the only goal.

The tables are all quite deep if you give them a chance. They are designed to have less cheap drains (i.e. straight down the middle) that would be frustrating to many people. But there is a lot to do on all of them. I've played for 75+ hours since launch and only seen about 3 of the wizard modes.
    Yep I could not agree more. All tables are deep and I love it. I just feel it is un natural to play one game of pinball and it takes like 20 minutes everytime (like spiderman). Therefore I like Rome or Pasha much better. On those you can play for 20 minutes in a game if you are "into it", other times it will take you 3 minutes or less to lose the whole game. And that is what I like about pinball, not knocking the ball about for 20 minutes for that elusive multiball or whatever... pinball is meant to be more or less instant with rewards for the ones that know the table as well as the new comer fluke every now and then

Kim

"Hmm I see your points... But in my opinion a pinball game is not meant to last more than max 10 minutes"

You aren't able to complete all missions in 10 minutes. And the atmosphere, music, artwork of a table is something you need to dive into which takes a while. A few of the Marvel tables are easier imo so that casual players or even children can play a while, too...and not just drain all balls in three or five minutes. The table design with its missions should be accessible to all players, not just pros. After all, hitting random ramps or targets doesn't really have anything to do with a table's theme.

I also love the Pro Pinball series and have all four tables but there are also players that play Timeshock for hours and not just 10 minutes.

Hmm I see your points... But in my opinion a pinball game is not meant to last more than max 10 minutes if you are not on a complete roll where everything and Lady Luck is looking your way...
    The reason a typical pinball machine is made to be a fast game for a beginner/intermediate player is that they were designed to swallow coins. A quick game is a good game to a pinball machine operator. In my opinion Zen are far far better off providing an enjoyable experience - thats what will bring people back. If players get frustrated too often they'll leave it behind. I think they are heading in precisely the right direction. ie: tables that challenge the player, but not so much frustrate them. ESB is a terrific example of this. Its a very challenging game, but has a lot of depth to it. In my opinion this is their flagship table and one of the best tables ever designed, real or otherwise.