Thread: Pinball survey, how do YOU play?

Default Pinball survey, how do YOU play?

So we all play pinball and how do YOU play? Maybe such a survey is boring to some but I'd like to know the different ways we play. It's exciting in my opinion.

Please copy the list of questions and add your answers.

----------------------

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE:

Your pinball FX2 setup...

SYSTEM:
    MONITOR/SCREEN:
    CAMERA:
    CONTROLS:

When do you play?

DURATION:
    TIME OF THE DAY:

Let's talk about the tables!

TABLES YOU OWN:
    FAV. TABLES:
    LEAST FAV. TABLES:

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY:
    WORST MEMORY:

Explain how you play, what pinball means to you and more!

MY WAY:

--------------------------------
    Last edited by LeanderL; 06-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: I've been playing pinball for years, Pinball Fantasies 2 (PC), Pro Pinball, Balls of Steel, Future Pinball and many more

Your Pinball FX2 setup...

SYSTEM: PC
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 24'', 1920x1080 resolution
    CAMERA: cam 5 most of the time, sometimes 4...1w during multiball
    CONTROLS: XBOX360 controller for PC with ruuumble

When do you play?

DURATION: 15 minutes to five hours
    TIME OF THE DAY: evening/night, after work, at the weekend 10pm-3 am

TABLES YOU OWN: all 24! And I will buy each new table!
    FAV. TABLES: Epic Quest, Tesla, Thor, Rome, El Dorado and many more
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: I like them all

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY: scoring 100m on Thor after many beers and finding out that Pinball FX2 gonna be released for Steam...just DAYS before it was actually released.
    WORST MEMORY: a bug on Epic Quest that made me lose the game

MY WAY: I either play alone in the evening/at night/at the weekend or with a friend. Sometimes I play different tables about three times each, sometimes I play only 1 table a day. With friends we usually play only once and play ourselves through a vast amount of tables.

I love the audio-visual experience of pinball and that's why I crank up the speakers. It is not just a game but an adventure. Without sound and music games don't work for me. I am completely taken to another dimension when playing pinball for some time, it makes me forget about the world outside. At the weekend I enjoy some hours of pinball fun, drink some beers, play a game or just a ball and chat with Steam friends in breaks or read the forum/post essential comments.

I love the awesomeness and epicness of this game. The music is catchy, most of the sounds are great and so is the atmosphere...call me nerdy but when starting Epic Quest for the xth time in two hours and the sample "I am MAX" is played I clench my fists and become the epic superhero/antihero he is.
    Last edited by LeanderL; 06-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Seems like a perfectly appropriate thread to make my debut post.

Who are you?

thegreybetween
    PINBALL EXPERIENCE: I was a casual pinball enthusiast for decades, playing whatever game I could find in various arcades and pizza restaurants throughout my childhood. I first got really hooked when I was about 19 and the drummer of the band I was in picked up a badass Dracula machine with a fancy DMD and rigged it up to play without quarters. We pumped days into that thing, and ever since, I've been pretty loyal to the hobby. PBFX2 on Steam is my first foray into digital pinball since the good ol' Space Cadet board on Windows XP, and so far, I'm absolutely in love with it.

SYSTEM: Steam via PC running Windows 7
    MONITOR/SCREEN: I have a few systems, but most of my pinballing has been done on my on-the-go laptop, an Acer Aspire One with an 11.6" monitor. I must say, this game runs smooth as glass on that little thing.
    CAMERA: I usually use Camera 4 for most tables
    CONTROLS: Default (Flippers = L/R Shift; Launch = Enter; Bumps = Space, L/R Control)

When do you play?

DURATION: I usually end up playing in 1-3 hour spurts. I've tried to log in for a quick game or two, but usually get sucked into a marathon session as I try to break a top score or a streak of bad luck. So far, my record in one sitting has been 7 hours straight, which I'm sure is nothing by more hardcore standards.
    TIME OF THE DAY: Varies, but usually at night after my wife goes to bed (+/- 11PM)

TABLES YOU OWN: All 24 current Steam releases, with plans to pick up the rest. The unreleased tables that I am most excited to try are: Mars (really looking forward to this one, love the theme!), Earth Defence, and Paranormal.
    FAV. TABLES: Rome, El Dorado, Infinity Gauntlet
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: V12

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY: Well, I've only logged about 19 hours so far, so not much to add yet. My current top score is only 25M (Shaman) but my averages are steadily going up as I get a feel for the system. I'd say the best time I've had up to this point is when I connected the laptop to my home theater system and my wife and I did a spontaneous hotseat tournament. She stumbled into a few 10M scores and knocked me off of a top spot or two, and ever since, she's been wanting to play again. Good times.
    WORST MEMORY: The failed-right-ramp ball drain on Rome has caused more than a few cursing sprees and late nights as I strive to conquer that board. Rome is definitely not bested in a day, but it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

MY WAY: Pinball is an awesome experience. From the thrill of figuring out my first aimed shot on a table to the kink in my neck after a brutal multiball challenge, I love the way a good table can draw me in and tell a narrative through a clever layout, immersive audio cues, and progressive missions. A good roll is a thing of beauty, and a bad roll is just a taunt to come back again and again. Either way, pinball always manages to keep me playing until all I see are my own initials dominating the local leader boards.

I usually play alone, but I do occasionally have friends over for some hotseat action. I currently do not have any pinball friends on my Steam account, but I'd be happy to get to know some of you and add you to my account for tournaments and leaderboard fun. Look me up and shoot me a message if you're interested:

My Steam ID is: thegreybetween

On a side note: I have been thoroughly impressed with the table guides from ShoryukenToTheChin. I actually found these forums after one of his pdfs popped up while googling a table guide for Rome, and have since downloaded each of his very informative guides. If you would like to get some insight into your favorite tables and figure out exactly what you're supposed to do the next time the game yells "Hurry Up!", I highly recommend giving them a look. They can be found here: https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...Marvel-Pinball

Cheers!

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: I hardly ever played pinball growing up. There weren't that many around (arcades were already dying when I was a teenager) and video games always got my attention first. Then I put together a MAME arcade cabinet about 2 years ago and the control panel had pinball buttons on the side. So I tried some Future Pinball and got really into it. Then I discovered Pinball FX2 on Xbox 360 and was hooked. Now I go to the gaming and pinball conventions in my area whenever I can to play 100+ real tables. I've also made it to the Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame.

SYSTEM: VirtuaPin virtual pinball cabinet running Windows 7 and Steam
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 37" 1080p playfield monitor; 28" backglass monitor; real DMD
    CAMERA: portrait mode camera 1 or 2
    CONTROLS: real flipper buttons and analog plunger; nudging via accelerometer (hacked into a working solution with keyboard and joystick remapping utilities right now)

When do you play?

DURATION: anywhere between an hour and all day
    TIME OF THE DAY: nights and weekends

TABLES YOU OWN: all
    FAV. TABLES: I can't decide - most are really good! I guess Epic Quest and Hulk if I had to choose.
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: V12

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY: Smashing my Epic Quest high score after accidentally trading in my weapon for one with about 1/9th of the power and doing really badly on the first 2 balls.

WORST MEMORY: Umm...accidentally trading in my weapon for one with about 1/9th of the power in Epic Quest. Another good one is when I was going for a high score in Congo (on Visual Pinball) and the cat sat on the keyboard I had left on the floor and opened all sorts of programs with the shortcut keys.

MY WAY: Sometimes I try to play methodically/defensively, but it takes a lot of patience. Usually I just try to complete missions and activate modes without worrying about ball saves and such too much.

Pinball is such an interesting game once you get past the initial stage of flailing at the ball whenever it comes near the flippers and start to learn a little control and technique. There is so much subtlety to the physics and different shots to learn and appreciate. I also love all the different table designs and features that people have come up with over the years (both real and virtual). You'd think there would only be so much you can do in that limited space using the common basic pinball layout, but people keep coming up with new ideas and fresh takes on old ones.

I also see some similarities with racing simulators, which are my other favorite types of games. They are both kind of "repetitive" types of games, but they are easy to learn and hard to master. They both require constant focus and can be punishing, yet that's what makes them very rewarding as well. In pinball, you might start feeling that you really have a certain shot down, only to miss it 3 times in a row when you really need it with a jackpot on the line or a mission timer expiring. In racing, you may be really good at a certain track but can still make a crucial mistake on a turn you've taken perfectly 100 times before. In both, you're always kind of chasing the "perfect" game/lap, even though that doesn't exist and you can always improve.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreybetween View Post
    Seems like a perfectly appropriate thread to make my debut post.
    indeed.

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: I loved playing pinball my whole life. Unfortunately, due to the lack of arcades here and the lack of good PC pinball games, i wasn't able to play as much as i wanted to.

SYSTEM: PC/Steam
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 22" 1680x1050 Tate-Setup
    CAMERA: 1w only (Portrait Mode, love it soo much)
    CONTROLS: 360 Pad Wireless

When do you play?

DURATION: 30 minutes - couple of hours
    TIME OF THE DAY: mostly at night

TABLES YOU OWN: all. Will buy every new one.
    FAV. TABLES: Empire Strikes Back, Wolverine, Blade (hard to decide)
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: Shaman, El Dorado, Iron Man (but i love them anyway lol.)

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY: Playing the "Disco Scene" in Blade, hunting Vampires with UV-Balls and the original Soundtrack. I was blown away.
    WORST MEMORY: i was on an excellent scoring run, last ball with 3 Multiballs, when the batteries of my wireless pad suddenly went out. I lost all 3 balls in a sudden, and my score went form potentially great to only good. Yes i was mad.

MY WAY: i just always loved pinball, can't explain why. Pinball FX 2 is the best PC-Pinball i ever played, thanks SO much to ZEN for this more than awesome pinball experience!
    Last edited by Grouch; 06-06-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: Real pinball - preposterously small, my pinball started from a few shots on stern pinball Pirates of the Carribean 5-7 years ago. Then Zen Pinbal came to PSN and I was trapped for good. Don't have PS3 now though, so PFX2 coming on Steam was long-awaited.

SYSTEM: PC Steam
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 1680*1050 portrait. Don't know my inches lol, about 20-21"
    CAMERA: I don't remember. Only static cameras, but I am still choosing.
    CONTROLS: XBOX360 controller default setup.

When do you play?

DURATION: Several hours a week (not more than a 7).
    TIME OF THE DAY: Evening.

TABLES YOU OWN: For PFX2: Core, Zen classics, Epic Quest.
    FAV. TABLES: El Dorado, from the time Zen pinball came out on PSN.
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: V12 has the most terrifying description (get 50 shots at a ramp to do the last level upgrade), but I like table theme very much.

Time for stories...
    No stories today, sorry )))

MY WAY:
    Pinball for me is the laws of physics first and foremost. Gravitation, Newton's laws, moment of inertia, friction, rare occasions of magnetism and all that stuff. I was shocked for the first time trying Pirates of the Carribean, and shocked for the second time trying Zen Pinball demo. No other video game pinball have ever made such impression on me.

Dunfielder

Pinball Experience: I grew up in the arcade days. Played so much pinball that I bought a couple cabinets eventually. Thats probably why virtual pinball usually makes me cringe but pbfx2 is the best I've played.

Setup

System: PC Steam
    Monitor: 24" Phillips 1920x1080
    Camera: View 5 usually sometimes 4. Although on the original pbfx I used 1w
    Controls: Xbox 360 controller

I play at least an hour or more a day in the evening after work.

I have the star wars pack and a couple of the marvel packs. I had them all on xbox 360 once upon a time.
    Fav table is Thor
    Least fav is Boba Fett

I am still a pinball purist at heart who prefers the real deal, but pbfx2 scratches an itch that can't be scratched by any other virtual pinball game. Way to go Zen!!!

I used to find Avengers boring but after figuring out what to do I really, really like this table. Epic action, the different avengers are cool, the balls in different colors too...nice idea with their super powers etc...

Why do you love pinball? How is the experience created? What fascinates you the most?

I've always loved balls, ramps and obstacles as a kid up till now. A ball is round and something fascinating on its own. We used to build race tracks on a little hill with tennis balls, buckets, wooden obstacles, tubes...every player had a tennis ball and we started them simultaniously and watched whose ball crossed the finish line first. We also built marble tracks or tracks for matchbox cars. So the idea of a ball rolling around, rolling up ramps...with sounds, music and the combination of colors is just cool and that's why I love pinball.
    The right Xmen ramp is blue and yellow - the combination is nice and layout of the ramp is just awesome.

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: I grew up playing pinball and have always loved it. I was very fortunate regarding exposure to pinball - my dad was an enthusiast who made sure to keep at least one working cabinet going in our family man-cave (mostly mid-70s/early80s Williams tables), which also included a full bar, billiards table, and darts board, so I never had a shortage of opponents between my siblings, neighborhood kids, and my parent's friends. I live 5000 miles from there now, but I make the journey every 3 or 4 years and try to maintain at least one place on a leaderboard with my initials. These days, I have no physical space for a full-sized pincab (houses are an order of magnitude smaller in England), and I have to travel quite a way to reach the nearest place with real tables, so I'm happy to see virtual pinball making the progress it's made in the last few years.

SYSTEM: Windows 7 PC (Steam), custom built, beast specs
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 3x Samsung 24" 1080p 120hz - for FX2, using 1x monitor rotated to portrait
    CAMERA: PS3 Eye
    CONTROLS: 360 controller (also, I sometimes use a custom arcade fight stick which has great buttons, but w/out analogue nudge, not so great - will build a custom pinball controller w/ analogue nudge once Pinball FX2 supports full controller remapping)

When do you play?

DURATION: 1-2 hours
    TIME OF THE DAY: Usually about midnight - like to play for a couple hours before I go to bed.

TABLES YOU OWN: All on PS3, still collecting on FX2 Steam (will have all soon)
    FAV. TABLES: Like them all, truly. Favourite though is probably Thor, followed by Excalibur.
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: V12 (not interested in cars)

MY WAY:

I play pinball to wind down after a day at work, with a cold beer to hand, chasing the next spot up on the leaderboard. I play pinball to maintain a connection with some of the best social times I've had with friends and family throughout my life. I play pinball to be counted amongst the fantastic community who love the game, and to ensure that pinball is kept alive forever by making sure those who are willing to make tables, physical and digital, know that there are people who will always buy and play them.

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: I've played a lot real pinbal when a was young, Theatre of Magic, No Fear, Arabian Nights were my favorites. I always dream to have a TOM at home but it's a bit too expensive. I discover Pinball FX2 by chance one week before its release on steam thanks to the pinball arcarde steam group.

SYSTEM: Windows 7 64bit
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 1680*1050 portrait mode
    CAMERA: 1
    CONTROLS: Control touch for flipp, shift and space to bump

When do you play? at evening or week-end

DURATION: 20 min to 1 hour

TABLES YOU OWN: Every tables except Marvel pack and the 3 new tables
    FAV. TABLES:the easy one El Dorado, Epic Quest, Secret of the deeps
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: Blade, V12

MY WAY: I play pinball like a no brain, i don't like control the ball or stick one ball during multiballs and i do pass only if necessary, that's why most of my game are very short with small scores but i always find fun.

Default Here's mine

----------------------

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: MOSTLY VIDEO, GOING BACK 30 YEARS

SYSTEM: PC (WINDOWS 7)
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 32" TV plus 26" monitor
    CAMERA: CAMERA ANGLE 2
    CONTROLS: PS2 PAD

When do you play?

DURATION: COUPLE OF HOURS
    TIME OF THE DAY: AFTERNOON / EVENING

TABLES YOU OWN: ALL
    FAV. TABLES: EL DORADO, SHAMAN, EPIC QUEST, SECRETS OF THE DEEP
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: ANYTHING WITH SUPERHEROES. THAT STUFF IS WAY TOO NICHE.

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY: FINDING OUT HOW TO READ TABLES BETTER
    WORST MEMORY: REALISING THAT 'FULL TILT PINBALL 2' IS UNPLAYABLE ON MODERN PC'S

MY WAY: MOSTLY FOR A QUICK BLAST, BUT MY STRATEGY IS GETTING BETTER, AND THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT REALLY FUN, WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: MOSTLY 80's pinball, and of course Zen. Back in the 80's pinball was an affordable escape until it started costing me $1.50 to $2.00 for 1 game that essentially was designed to drain the balls as fast as possible. (Exaggeration of course)

Nothing set as yet with the PC. I have PS3 and at some point might end up getting the tables on steam. right now I'm looking to get the PBFX2 core pack which isn't on the PS3 (Curse you MS) They look like a blast but I like to keep my pro score up against friends etc.
    When do you play?

DURATION: COUPLE OF HOURS
    TIME OF THE DAY: AFTERNOON / EVENING

TABLES YOU OWN: ALL except PBFX2 core pack
    FAV. TABLES: Fear Itself, X-men, Empire Strikes Back, Thor, Sorcerer's Lair, MARS,
    LEAST FAV. TABLE: V12

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY: Of Playing Zen? Only when I first tried the demo I wasn't impressed. Too limited to actually figure out If I like it. Finally gave in and bought Marvel Pinball and was hooked.

MY WAY: In a way Zen gave me that nostalgia of playing pinball way back when. Also got me interested in joining leagues and tournies around the country. I love multiball in all pinball tables. If they have different types and stacking than that's a plus. Also besting my top scores is always a plus.
    Last edited by tenorhero; 06-25-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Who are you?

PINBALL EXPERIENCE: I've been playing video pinball on and off since Pinball Dreams for the Amiga back in the day. I only have vague memories of real machines from my childhood but I've always loved pinball on a screen

Your Pinball FX2 setup...

SYSTEM: Steam on PC. I used to play on a Nexus 7 tablet but I felt like I didn't have complete control so I made the switch
    MONITOR/SCREEN: 24'', 1920x1080 resolution in landscape most of the time... I set up a second monitor (22") in portrait and I've dabbled with that but for some reason I've been sticking with landscape
    CAMERA: Cam 2 for life!
    CONTROLS: 360 controller (bumpers, rather than triggers, for the flippers)

When do you play?

DURATION: Ranges from 10 minutes to hours on end depending on how much I suck that day.
    TIME OF THE DAY: I normally squeeze in a game or two after work during the week. On the weekend I'll usually play more and set myself some kind of goal (like "get this achievement" or "get in the top 5 scores on my Friends List")

TABLES YOU OWN: All of them yo!
    FAV. TABLES: Absolutely love Infinity Gauntlet and Fear Itself. Also a big fan of Sorcerer's Lair
    LEAST FAV. TABLES: Finding it hard to get into V12 and Shaman. Also not really feeling Empire and Boba Fett (although I really like Clone Wars despite hating new Star Wars). I don't hate any of the tables though - they just haven't clicked for me yet.

Time for stories...

BEST MEMORY: Getting to Midnight Madness on Sorcerer's Lair twice in one game after never getting that far before!
    WORST MEMORY: Every now and then I'll completely forget how to play and end up shutting off the game in disgust after 5 minutes!

MY WAY: For me pinball is the perfect game. There is a specific skillset that applies to every table but at the same time there is so much variety and random elements that it's impossible to get bored. The closest game I can think of is Tetris or Chess and neither of them have multiball. It's my "desert island" game that I would be happy to play forever.

I love the classic real world tables like Medieval Madness and Monster Bash but at the same time I love the creativity of some of the Zen tables that do things that are only possible in a video game. With The Pinball Arcade coming to Steam this year I couldn't be happier - pinball heaven