Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deep
    Table Designer
    • May 2011

Well, I have started to work on my next table, and based on your feedbacks, I created a very cool layout with multiple changing parts. I hope you will like it

Comment

• Trollwart
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by BarbieBobomb
      Really?! I was there in April too! I wanna go back
      Whaaa? Were you there for NAB, or something more fun?

Whatever it is, Deep...I'm sure its gonna rule

Comment

• BarbieBobomb
        Pinball Wizard
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Trollwart
        I was visiting a friend who lives in Vegas, just checked out the PHoF for the afternoon

Comment

• BarbieBobomb
          Pinball Wizard
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Trollwart
          I was visiting a friend who lives in Vegas, just checked out the PHoF for the afternoon

Comment

• Trollwart
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by BarbieBobomb
            Definitely more fun.
            Well next time we'll have to get a few games in.

This one brought back some memories, too. After a play, though, not sure they were good memories

Comment

• skyway73
              • Jun 2012

An idea I had for a mission: a four ball multi-ball where you have to lock all for balls into 4 different sink-holes. When you get down to needing to lock the final ball maybe add a 10 second countdown timer? That could be fun.

Another idea borrows a little from Theatre of Magic: some sort of 4 sided object with one side sloped to act as a ramp. Hit it once to turn it 90 degrees which reveals a sink-hole. Hit the hole to turn it a further 90 degrees so the ramp side is revealed. Hit this ramp to land ball in a hole/magnet to start mission. I would make the shots easy to hit but have a countdown timer for each stage and the cube turns back one stage when the countdown is up.

One side could be a magnet, a mission could be to lock 3 balls by sticking them to the cube starting a multi-ball.

A general idea or theme for a table could be you have to assemble stage by stage a series of events, I'll try and explain. Who remembers the old board game Mouse Trap? It involved setting up a kind of chain of different events which would result in the end pay-off being a domino effect resulting in a mouse being trapped in a cage. Mouse Trap video.

These Little Big Planet levels by Tripletremelo also show the kind of thing I mean. Each mission on the table could involve hitting a ladder into position, swinging a bridge round, loading a cannon with a ball ready to fire etc. The grand finale would see all the pieces in position and the player having to hit a captive ball to start it, then the player gets to sit back and watch his hard work!

Comment

• LeanderL
                Pinball Wizard
                • May 2013

Originally posted by deep
                Well, I have started to work on my next table, and based on your feedbacks, I created a very cool layout with multiple changing parts. I hope you will like it
                Any hint about the theme?
                And please think about a different skill shot. Not just the usual "gently move the right stick backwards"...this type of skill shot is really easy with the Wii U controller (using the touch screen) but more difficult with the XBOX controller (PC). For example the ball could be automatically launched at full speed and you need to hit the upper left flipper at the correct time to make a special ramp shot....as in Pinball Fantasies - Partyland (tunnel shot / 2x cyclone shot).
                http://steamcommunity.com/id/leander_at/

Comment

• deep
                  Table Designer
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by LeanderL
                  Any hint about the theme?
                  And please think about a different skill shot. Not just the usual "gently move the right stick backwards"...this type of skill shot is really easy with the Wii U controller (using the touch screen) but more difficult with the XBOX controller (PC). For example the ball could be automatically launched at full speed and you need to hit the upper left flipper at the correct time to make a special ramp shot....as in Pinball Fantasies - Partyland (tunnel shot / 2x cyclone shot).
                  The new tables are almost finished, so they will be announced soon On my next table, there will be this "gently type" skillshot, but every time a random one out of 3 different (plus the super). On my next-next table, which is in development already, I will create something different, I promise

Comment

• Smoker
                    • Feb 2013

I've read through some of the post here and have to agree that a "light show", with the "music pumping" as you start to "BLOW UP" the table is a must. Other than that, don't know, been awhile since I played a real table. Just keep doing what your doing, but do it better

Nice thread though.

Comment

• ER777
                      • Sep 2012

The toy that is widely considered the best in all of (real) pinball is the wrecking ball crane in Batman (Dark Knight). Something like that which creates a target that moves around the playfield will always be interesting. Of course there are already some things like that in your tables but more would be good.

I'm also in favor of more mini-playfields, whether they be above the regular playfield like in Shaman or Tesla, or something off in a different area like the Sorcerer's Lair Cellar, Clone Wars Training, or Hulk Arena.

Lastly, how about some drop targets? There are very few drop targets in all of the Zen tables.

Comment

• hunter328
                        Pinball Wizard
                        • Apr 2012

Great thread. Here's some of my thoughts:

I prefer tables that have a progression of goals that correspond to the theme, but I really don't like how trying to complete these goals and "win" the table is often counterproductive to obtaining a high score. Most tables set up this way it's never nessesary to even attempt beating the table as there always seems to be a ramp combo or multiball jackpot along the way that can be spammed for higher points. So better weighing of points towards goals and difficulty I'd love to see.
                        I'm not a fan at all of toys like Bobba Fett's Slave One or the Transport ship on Clone Wars, especially the later as again it's not table goal relevant and more dangerous than its worth in points, so I'm forced to hold the ball for a minute each time until it times out and goes away.
                        This is not really what you'd asked for but I'd love too see either a table pack with or a new mode using existing tables that had a sort of warp hole that would trigger after a time and take your ball to another random table until all tables had been visited once then repeat. I'd be like setting your proscore but all in one play through.

I'm sure I'll have more but I've got to run now.

Thank you for asking us by the way. Zen's employee feedback/forums/community are the best in the business.
                        sigpic

Comment

• LeanderL
                          Pinball Wizard
                          • May 2013

Originally posted by ER777
                          The toy that is widely considered the best in all of (real) pinball is the wrecking ball crane in Batman (Dark Knight). Something like that which creates a target that moves around the playfield will always be interesting. Of course there are already some things like that in your tables but more would be good.

I'm also in favor of more mini-playfields, whether they be above the regular playfield like in Shaman or Tesla, or something off in a different area like the Sorcerer's Lair Cellar, Clone Wars Training, or Hulk Arena.

Lastly, how about some drop targets? There are very few drop targets in all of the Zen tables.
                          There's a crane in Secrets of the Deep and Mars. The elastic guy's hand in Fantastic Four is also something like a crane.
                          http://steamcommunity.com/id/leander_at/

Comment

• hunter328
                            Pinball Wizard
                            • Apr 2012

I like miniplayfields as well but they have to be fun. Sometimes they feel like they were added for the sake of it and just aren't very fun.
                            Some good ones: Clone Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, Black Hole.
                            Some I'm not fond of: V12, Fantastic Four, Excalibur, Shaman.

With Zen's tables having the luxury of not needing to be restricted with real world limitations it would be cool to see mini playfields that weren't limited to the standard keep a ball from draining with flippers, magnets etc. Maybe one that plays like Labyrinth where you need to tilt the ball through a maze, or even a short PAC Man like game.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Zedekiah
                              • Jul 2013

Ideas

As a general theme I would love to see a castle siege. The different missions all serving the ultimate goal of destroying or capturing the castle. Working in the digital world, this castle could actually be in the playfield and destructable with permanent effects lasting throughout the overall game. This could also allow advancement through the missions with ramps or targets becoming available after certain parts of the castle have been destroyed. You would have many siege options available to you such as catapaults and trebuchets (with options of attacking with different ammo loads from rocks and flaming pitch to diseased cattle or explosive ordinance), battering rams, siege towers, tunneling, etc. You could include a time cycle for the repair of the castle, be it between balls or for failure to advance through the missions. There is also the possibility of different castles to be conquered, each uniquely different and progressively more difficult to destroy. The castles could even be defended interactively, from archers shooting arrows that alter the trajectory of the ball to boiling oil that can alter the ball's physics, there is a lot of potential. Just seems like a lot of logical content available with an obvious goal to achieve and lots of fun to be had in the process of getting there.

Another idea for your consideration would be the ability to reverse time/rewind instead of the traditional ball save. Something that the player would build up, a fillable meter or amount of time, that would then be used in real time. It would add the challenge of being quick enough to actually trigger the rewind before it is too late. I could see this being used not only to save the ball from the drain but also give the option for a second chance on an important shot. It also removes the complaint of magnets saving balls not worth saving, like in a minor multiball (Star Wars Empire) as mentioned earlier. I leave its play balance in your capable hands.

I tend to prefer tables with 3 flippers and 2-3 primary ramps with a bonus ramp for the 3rd flipper. That my be due to my love for Funhouse and The Addams Family. I do agree with many above that table lighting can be crucial. It may be linked to the complaint of a lack of build up to a major event. I don't think anyone who has played The Addams Family can deny the feeling of excitement when "Showtime" kicked in. That said, i have to say that the Hyperspace trigger does an awesome job of getting my attention.

I think Zen does an amazing job with its tables and I've really enjoyed seeing their progression over the years. They have really gotten much better in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to your new offerings.

Thanks for all the hard work and yet still taking the time to listen, you guys rock!

Comment

• Roo5676
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Zedekiah
                                As a general theme I would love to see a castle siege. The different missions all serving the ultimate goal of destroying or capturing the castle...
                                Zen already made that; it's called CastleStorm. Ok, so it's not pinball. But what about a CastleStorm-themed pinball table? It would be fun to destroy a castle with the ball. Kind of a supercharged Medieval Madness where you bash the actual wall apart instead of just the gate.

One thing I'm not a big fan of is missions where you have to hit the bumpers X number of times within a time limit. It's just so random. Sometimes you hit the required shot once and the ball stays there all day and completes the mission immediately. Other times you hit the required shot and the ball hits only one or even zero bumpers. It can be frustrating to hit the correct shot a bunch of times and still fail. I'm not saying never do it, but maybe make it a little more forgiving with a higher time limit or something. The one in Starfighter Assault is not that bad, but I remember having trouble with the ones in Thor and Iron Man.

Comment

Working...