Thread: Star Wars Pinball comes to Wii U!

Default Star Wars Pinball comes to Wii U!

Star Wars Pinball comes to the Wii U eShop on July 11th in North America and Europe! Check out the Zen Studios Blog for all the details!

I posted in the Star Wars thread, but this is such good news I'll need to shout out here too!

Check out the interview I had about the release as well as other Zen topics.

Default Why Star Wars Pinball ?

Great news Star Wars pinball is coming to Wii U, but there's still one question :
    Why Star Wars Pinball instead of Star Wars DLC for Zen pinball 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by kelanflyter View Post
    Great news Star Wars pinball is coming to Wii U, but there's still one question :
    With the separate game, we're able to have more awesome Star Wars features (like the balance of the Force!). Since the eShop doesn't allow importing DLC from one game to another, we decided to go this route rather than add the tables to ZP2 and miss out on the SW features.

I'm not 100% sure, but I know that "The Balance of the Force" is a really neat feature that wouldn't really fit into the ZP2 platform. So launching a separate platform (that is still free to download) to allow for Star Wars specific features is awesome. I'm really glad they went this direction.

I'm siding with the Jedi!

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    With the separate game, we're able to have more awesome Star Wars features (like the balance of the Force!). Since the eShop doesn't allow importing DLC from one game to another, we decided to go this route rather than add the tables to ZP2 and miss out on the SW features.
    Thanks for your response.
    Could you tell us if Star Wars Pinball will correct some of the Zen Pinball Wii U version problems ?
    - Lack of online multiplayer
    - Not enough challenge per table
    - No 3D (PS3 version could display in 3D)
    - The ingame Purchase process that not allow to buy content directly from the game.

Thanks for your response.
    Could you tell us if Star Wars Pinball will correct some of the Zen Pinball Wii U version problems ?
    - Lack of online multiplayer
    - Not enough challenge per table
    - No 3D (PS3 version could display in 3D)
    - The ingame Purchase process that not allow to buy content directly from the game.
    The Star Wars Pinball game won't have any effect on Zen Pinball 2. The purchasing process is something that we don't control, we've tried to make it as seamless as possible, but it's ultimately up to Nintendo how they set up the eShop/DLC purchasing. This game will be similar to ZP2 in that it also will not have online multiplayer. Only a small percentage of people use it on the platforms that have it, so it wasn't a necessity for Wii U.

Banned

Fantastic news! Looks like a day 1 purchase for me. The 3DS DLC being re-confirmed in the interview was also reassuring.
    Last edited by LumaFan"); 06-24-2013 at 04:40 PM.

The Star Wars Pinball game won't have any effect on Zen Pinball 2. The purchasing process is something that we don't control, we've tried to make it as seamless as possible, but it's ultimately up to Nintendo how they set up the eShop/DLC purchasing. This game will be similar to ZP2 in that it also will not have online multiplayer. Only a small percentage of people use it on the platforms that have it, so it wasn't a necessity for Wii U.
    Thanks your for your response.

I don't know how it works on Wii U, but i know it's possible on 3DS to buy a DLC directly from a game. Fire Emblem Awakening is doing this for exemple (i think New Super Mario bros 2 also, but i'm not sure).

It's too bad the Wii U version of the game is not as good as other ones, but having the game on the plateform is still a Great news.

Banned

Yeah New Super Mario Bros 2. does do it too. You can purchase DLC packs in the in-game. Also I don't think the Wii U is getting the bad version, it's pretty much the same in most parts. No 3D on the Wii U because you a need special kind of 3D glasses to even view it (which isn't included with the system) and isn't a feature Nintendo talks or promotes. No online multiplayer because of Zen's past experiences with other platforms. It would be nice if they gave it a shot though, maybe people on Wii U might use online more. As for DLC, each platform might work a little bit differently in terms of its online store so Zen has to develop it based on that.
    Last edited by LumaFan"); 06-25-2013 at 12:33 AM.

i know the lack of true in app purchases sucks, but i think the wiiu is the only console atm that lets u go to the digital store without quitting your game, so its the same really. and if im not mistaken, isnt star wars pinball on steam built into the main pinball fx 2, yet you still get the sith/jedi features? couldnt the same thing be done on wiiu? have the whole star wars pinball app be dlc for zen pinball, and adds a button on zen pinball to switch between the two?

on the note of those specific force features, anything special besides a changing interface? seems pointless to have the new tables in their own app if all it does is change the menu colour. would rather have had it as a dlc pack in that case. also, any plans to have wiiu starwars tournies anytime soon? you guys did lots of ps3 ones, and you could easily message winners through miiverse to gather contact info for sending prizes and such. pretty sure you can make redemption codes for dlc on the eshop as well, if you wanted to give tables away.

Will it also feature the dramatic high-score servers that Zen Pinball 2 on the WiiU has?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tfhfony View Post
    Will it also feature the dramatic high-score servers that Zen Pinball 2 on the WiiU has?
    The all-time leader board?

Quote Originally Posted by marioman63 View Post
    and if im not mistaken, isnt star wars pinball on steam built into the main pinball fx 2, yet you still get the sith/jedi features?
    Nope. It's just DLC for PFX2, no Balance of the Force feature and no Jedi/Sith leaderboard rankings.
    Last edited by BarbieBobomb; 06-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Nope. It's just DLC for PFX2, no Balance of the Force feature and no Jedi/Sith leaderboard rankings.
    That is why I'm so glad it is a separate application and not DLC into the existing ZP2 platform.

So happy! Since it comes with the inital SW DLC, would we be eligible to get download codes for this game? I'm excited as I've only seen the short lived clone wars anime from 2005, nothing else. No movies, no books.

My review of Star Wars Pinball on the Wii U just went live. Please give it a read. I linked to Shoryuken's table guides as I found them very helpful finding my way around the tables.

Aha... Thanks fo the review. It confirms what I already was afraid of: The leaderbords here also don't work as they should, just like in Zen Pinball 2.
    I was planning to download Star Wars Pinball tomorrow, but I am going to wait untill ZEN is finally able to solve this issue. I am getting quite doubtfull though that they can. Zen Pinball 2 has been around for 3 1/3 months, and it's already crippled for 2 1/2 months.

Go figure...

Aha... Thanks fo the review. It confirms what I already was afraid of: The leaderbords here also don't work as they should, just like in Zen Pinball 2.
    I was planning to download Star Wars Pinball tomorrow, but I am going to wait untill ZEN is finally able to solve this issue. I am getting quite doubtfull though that they can. Zen Pinball 2 has been around for 3 1/3 months, and it's already crippled for 2 1/2 months.

Go figure...
    Yeah, I felt the need to mention that fact. It is a real shame too because the leader boards are such a great part of the game, esp with the Balance of the Force mechanic. Hopefully they will get it figured out and fixed soon. I'm hearing the issue is on Nintendo's end but that takes me back to when we were waiting for ZP2 to finally get a release date.

Quote Originally Posted by Everly View Post
    Yeah, I felt the need to mention that fact. It is a real shame too because the leader boards are such a great part of the game, esp with the Balance of the Force mechanic. Hopefully they will get it figured out and fixed soon. I'm hearing the issue is on Nintendo's end but that takes me back to when we were waiting for ZP2 to finally get a release date.
    Well: I am glad for your warning I would have downloaded the game if it wasn't for your review. The review really makes me hope that they can solve these issues soon, as it looks like a great game.
    But as it looks now, ZEN will release a crippled game tomorrow...

to be fair the leaderboards aren't te game's Life force... To be honest on ZP2 leaderboards work fine for me, you just gotta wait a LONG while. At least I can see my friend's scores. That's what matters to me. The game still works, so I think it's still Good, not like when the spring update broke the leaderboards for ZP2.

CELEBRATION TIME

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamingHawk View Post
    to be fair the leaderboards aren't te game's Life force... To be honest on ZP2 leaderboards work fine for me, you just gotta wait a LONG while. At least I can see my friend's scores. That's what matters to me. The game still works, so I think it's still Good, not like when the spring update broke the leaderboards for ZP2.

CELEBRATION TIME
    For ZP2 the problem is a lot worse: All highscores made untill the last update, aren't uploaded to the server. A few weeks ago, all high-scores on the leaderbord here were gone. New high-scores are uploaded to the server (when it's available). But the old ones aren't. And to go over my old high-scores on 26 tables to get everything right again will take months :-(
    And as long as these problems are not fixed (and from what I read in the review: They aren't): you have a pretty big chance that the leaderboards in Starwars Pinball will also be screwed up.
    If you consider the fact that SP2 has been around for 3 1/2 months and the problems have been for 2 1/2 months now....

I think it would be better if ZEN would postpone the game untill the have solved the problem. They are going to release a game of which they know some things don't function as they should and they don't seem to have a clue on how to solve this ussue.

I think it would be better if ZEN would postpone the game untill the have solved the problem. They are going to release a game of which they know some things don't function as they should and they don't seem to have a clue on how to solve this ussue.
    Honestly, it doesn't have much to do with the game itself, but the communication between the game and Nintendo's servers. Nintendo only allows the game to ping their servers so many times within a given time period. When there are lots of people playing and checking scores frequently, it just queues up those requests which is why you have to wait so long for the leaderboards (and this is why you see the issue in both ZP2 and SWP). We're doing our best to find a resolution or way around the issue, but I just wanted you all to know what's going on. Hopefully we can work with Nintendo to figure something out so you're not waiting endlessly for scores to load. I'll keep you posted.

Simple solution if the old highscores aren't on the new update: Make a new one! It gives you a reason to beat it. Luckily with SW we won't have that problem as the game came out.

Simple solution if the old highscores aren't on the new update: Make a new one! It gives you a reason to beat it.
    I already did that once. And now I would have to do it again. On 26 tables.
    Sorry, that's no fun at all. It like when you are reading a very big book, forgot where you were and you have to start all over again, without being able to skip pages. It suck to put it mildly.

@BarbieBobomb: Will or will there not be a fix, which will allow to upload the old high-scores to the server?

@BarbieBobomb: Will or will there not be a fix, which will allow to upload the old high-scores to the server?
    The scores that are gone, are gone, sorry.

I already did that once. And now I would have to do it again. On 26 tables.
    Sorry, that's no fun at all. It like when you are reading a very big book, forgot where you were and you have to start all over again, without being able to skip pages. It suck to put it mildly.

The point is if you really like the tables you'll likely play them again sooner or later. It's not like anyone here has maxed it out art 99999999999 points and it can't go higher.

The point is if you really like the tables you'll likely play them again sooner or later. It's not like anyone here has maxed it out art 99999999999 points and it can't go higher.

Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    Whaaaat

The scores that are gone, are gone, sorry.
    Well. That's not completely true. The scores are still available locally, so it's fixable. Your statement just meand that ZEN doesn't care about it's paying costomers and simply doesn't want to invest it's resources is programming a fix.
    The data is still there, so it's doable...

Some tables: yes... But not all of them. And besides: As mentioned above, the data is still there. They can fix it. They're just not interested in doing so.

OMG I can't imagine this happened during a normal game of pinball How much time would one need to achieve such a score

That's obviously a hack job or they exploted a glitch! I would imagine it would take a few months to get a score like that legit!

Yeah, I honestly don't know what to make of that. It isn't just the amount, but that the next highest score (which is very impressive and also much more believable) is so far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Everly View Post
    Yeah, I honestly don't know what to make of that. It isn't just the amount, but that the next highest score (which is very impressive and also much more believable) is so far behind.
    It's a screenshot of a Game Center (iOS) leaderboard for the Zen Pinball app. The iOS leaderboards are hacked. I just thought it was funny that Dreaminghawk said that "it's not like anyone here has maxed it out at 9999999999 and it can't go higher." It reminded me of this ridiculous score. A score of nearly 10 quintillion points is clearly a bogus score. I'm hoping there will be improvements to game center with iOS 7 to prevent cheating and add better features but I'm not holding my breath.

Well. That's not completely true. The scores are still available locally, so it's fixable. Your statement just meand that ZEN doesn't care about it's paying costomers and simply doesn't want to invest it's resources is programming a fix.

Some tables: yes... But not all of them. And besides: As mentioned above, the data is still there. They can fix it. They're just not interested in doing so.
    The point is if it's so easy to simply fix it yourself why bother having them work on it?

The point is if it's so easy to simply fix it yourself why bother having them work on it?
    Well... I can give you a few:

* Since I paid ZEN & Nintendo for the game
    * Since ZEN screwed up the high-score system themselves
    * I don't own an SDK for the WiiU and the system isn't hacked yet, it's impossible to get working code on such a machine yourself

Quite easy

that has got to be one hell of a pinball wizard to get that hig of a score.
    feel free to add me in the wiiverse its FanOfMK20 and you can allways find me on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/#!/DerekColeman.

Yeah, but if we can't verify the scores, we're not going to repost them, sorry.

Yeah, but if we can't verify the scores, we're not going to repost them, sorry.
    The WiiU is still not (publicly) hacked, so there is no way people can change these scores on their local machines (yet).

The WiiU is still not (publicly) hacked, so there is no way people can change these scores on their local machines (yet).
    I don't think that's what she is referring to here.

The leader boards are usually able to verify if you are using the factory settings or using modified settings in the operator's menu. If it's the latter, then the scores don't get posted on the leader boards. It sounds like the issue with the leader boards was linked to the verification system. If that system was down, then what Barbie is saying makes sense. Even after fixing the problem, they can't tell if your current score was earned through the factory settings or through modified settings.

If they started posting all of those scores that were earned during the blackout and they can't verify them, then it would be totally unfair to some people. For example, it's pretty easy for a person to earn 20 billion points on a table that is set to "very easy" difficulty and the ball count set to '10'.

It would suck seeing one of your friends beating your score by a landslide just because he/she was practicing on an easier difficulty level.
    Last edited by shogun00; 07-16-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    I don't think that's what she is referring to here.

The leader boards are usually able to verify if you are using the factory settings or using modified settings in the operator's menu. If it's the latter, then the scores don't get posted on the leader boards. It sounds like the issue with the leader boards was linked to the verification system. If that system was down, then what Barbie is saying makes sense. Even after fixing the problem, they can't tell if your current score was earned through the factory settings or through modified settings.

If they started posting all of those scores that were earned during the blackout and they can verify them, then it would be totally unfair to some people. For example, it's pretty easy for a person to earn 20 billion points on a table that is set to "very easy" difficulty and the ball count set to '10'.

It would suck to seeing one of your friends beating your score by a landslide just because he/she was practicing on an easier difficulty level.
    That does sound quite logical.
    But the fact these high-scores are also used to calculate my pro-scores indicates these scores are made on a normal table. Scores made on modified tables are excluded from this. So as I said: The correct data is still available....

Honestly, it doesn't have much to do with the game itself, but the communication between the game and Nintendo's servers. Nintendo only allows the game to ping their servers so many times within a given time period. When there are lots of people playing and checking scores frequently, it just queues up those requests which is why you have to wait so long for the leaderboards (and this is why you see the issue in both ZP2 and SWP). We're doing our best to find a resolution or way around the issue, but I just wanted you all to know what's going on. Hopefully we can work with Nintendo to figure something out so you're not waiting endlessly for scores to load. I'll keep you posted.
    Nano Assault Neo on Wii U has Leaderboards that are' working so i don't understand why it's a problem on Zen pinball 2 ans Star Wars Pinball.
    I can't even watch the leaderboards. It's loading infinitely.

Nano Assault Neo on Wii U has Leaderboards that are' working so i don't understand why it's a problem on Zen pinball 2 and Star Wars Pinball.
    All your post is telling me is that Nano Assault Neo doesn't get much leaderboard traffic compared to ZP2/SWP does.

ZP2/SWP pings the leaderboard every time you start up the game and/or complete a game. Multiply that by the number of people playing the game at a single time and that's where the problem lies. If you have 1,000 people playing ZP2/SWP at any given time and each person is uploading an average of 10 scores an hour, that's 10,000 pings in an hour.

On the other hand, an average player on Nano Assualt may only ping the leaderboards once an hour. If 1,000 people are playing the game at any given time, then that's only 1,000 pings an hour.

If Nintendo has a cap on the number of pings (say 5,000 an hour) like Barbie is stating, then I can see why ZP2/SWP is taking a hit on this while other games aren't.
    Last edited by shogun00; 07-16-2013 at 06:22 PM.