Thread: Cheap/Compact Display Stand to Play Portrait Pinball on Any Monitor

Lightbulb Cheap/Compact Display Stand to Play Portrait Pinball on Any Monitor

Pinball is one of those games that's just begging to be played in portrait mode... real pinball machines are laid out this way, it makes simultaneous vision of the entire table possible, and it just looks nice. Well, if you have been in a similar situation to me, at least 1 of 2 problems may have arisen: A.) you do not presently have the space/funds/etc. for a dedicated digital pinball cabinet in your home and/or B.) your widescreen PC monitor does not rotate into portrait orientation (or support 3rd party VESA mounts which would add this functionality). Problem A can be mitigated by playing on your PC monitor in portrait orientation. Problem B can be easily resolved in the manner I've discovered, using the following inexpensive accessory*:

A compact, foldable electric guitar stand does the trick nicely. Specifically, the Ibanez PT32-BK Folding Stand. You can order it online through Amazon in the US or UK, or have your friendly local guitar shop order one in for you.

I've had one of these on hand for over 12 years... I've entrusted my ££££ electric guitars to sit upon it at live gigs, and at home with cats racing about. The thing weighs less than a pound, folds up nearly flat, and is very sturdy in my experience. Well, my silly 24" widescreen display has no rotation mechanism built into its non-detachable stand, no VESA mount for me to attach a 3rd party stand, and an oddly shaped curved back - in short, I've had a lot of difficulty playing pinball in portrait mode with it (requires serious jury rigging, which is impractical for spur-of-the-moment pinball sessions). Then it dawned upon me while practicing my guitar the other evening, that the stand it was sitting on might do the trick. And it works perfectly. It provides nearly instantaneous setup and takedown, doesn't eat up any space when not in use and, most importantly, holds my monitor with absolute stability in portrait mode without its rubber-coated feet covering any portion of the screen, nor interfering with any of the cabling on the back of the monitor. I imagine it should hold most any reasonably-sized PC monitor with a bezel up to 2" thick (I've never seen a flat panel PC display with a 2" thick bezel). The only limitation that I can think of is that it doesn't have much variety in its tilt angle... its pretty much fixed at a reclining angle of ~100/105 degrees (but most LCD monitors start to look odd from extreme off-centre angles anyhow).

I've attached some photos:
    PinballFX2-PortraitOnGuitarStand.jpgPinballFX2-GuitarStandUnfolded.jpgPinballFX2-GuitarStandFolded.jpg

I hope this idea comes in handy for somebody else! Also, feel free to reply with any suggested setups of your own.

Cheers,
    Jonny

*DISCLAIMER: I make no guarantees to, nor take responsibility for, the effectiveness, stability, safety, or otherwise, of the suggestions posted in this thread. Anybody making use of this information accepts full personal responsibility.
    Last edited by JTenebrous; 06-25-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Great idea. I love a bit of lateral thinking err ... vertical thinking

Nice find OP. What do you think would be the maximum monitor size it would handle? I'm looking for a cheap option for a 27 inch benq.

I have the same monitor. However, I don't want to change the rotation every time I play pinball. If someone has two monitors or doesn't need his monitor for other computer activities apart from pinball your idea is great though.

I like it very much thanks for sharing this information with us…
    maria

Thanks for the idea and the links, ordered.
    I always play with full table view wich make some details tiny when in landscape mode, even on a 24'' display, now I can go easy on my eyes. :P

Quote Originally Posted by MOKTango View Post
    Nice find OP. What do you think would be the maximum monitor size it would handle? I'm looking for a cheap option for a 27 inch benq.
    Sorry for the late response! I see no reason that this wouldn't support a 27" monitor - worst case you could probably return the stand, but I'm pretty sure it'll be more than sufficient. I'd reckon that 27" is about max, though. Stability wise it could easily handle 27" (my e-guitars are much heavier than my monitor), but you probably need to add some kind of DIY height extension to the stand to work for anything taller without risk of the monitor teeter-tottering backwards over the fulcrum point (looks like a simple screw/bolt and bracket fixture could possibly be added without much trouble) .

--------
    Thanks to everybody else for their kind comments. ValterDS - hope it works out nicely for ya, and please reply with your findings!

Best ~ Jonny