Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alipan
    • Jun 2011

Microsoft no longer charges developers to patch their Xbox 360 games

I hope this means we might get some issues on Xbox 360 sorted out???
  • shogun00
    Pinball Wizard
    • Feb 2011

Still no mention of getting rid of the 4MB patch limit, which is also a problem for Zen. It's the main reason why they still haven't fixed the bugs in the Paranormal tables.

Comment

• fubar
      • Feb 2011

just release several 4MB patches until everything is fixed?

Comment

• Nekro Neko
        • Oct 2010

That isn't how it works. Each game has (with exceptional circumstances) a 4mb limit for patches. That means whether it's ver 1.1 or 1.8.5 and such it must be 4mb or less. The patches do not stack but overlap. From what I understand, the patch limit is due to the way that MS allocated HDD space for the console. It's why the original XBox360's 20GB HDD only had 14GB of usable space.

I'm sure the limit will change for the Xbox1Eighty

Comment

• lexandro
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nekro Neko
          That isn't how it works. Each game has (with exceptional circumstances) a 4mb limit for patches. That means whether it's ver 1.1 or 1.8.5 and such it must be 4mb or less. The patches do not stack but overlap. From what I understand, the patch limit is due to the way that MS allocated HDD space for the console. It's why the original XBox360's 20GB HDD only had 14GB of usable space.

I'm sure the limit will change for the Xbox1Eighty
          This is incorrect, im afraid. The 4mb patch limitation is a "per patch" limit for free updates not a total update size limit.

Skyrim for instance has had many patches, some of which were well above 4mb. Same for CoD games for a number of years, those have consistantly had patches in excess of 20mb a time. And contrary to popular belief this allowance is extended to a large number of games these days

The confusion arises because of how the patches are stored in some cases. The 4mb limit is intended for "free to release" updates that reside in the system cache files. Many titles on Xbox these days simply pay to patch and ignore the cache file, saving the update directly in to the games instalation/save folder instead. Some even take to releasing updates as free DLC packages, such as with Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series.

If you visit this page here http://www.xbuc.net/browse/ you can see yourself that many games have TU's well in excess of 20mb
          Last edited by lexandro; 07-06-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• duwease
            Pinhead
            • Mar 2012

Oh man, if they manage to patch Paranormal, I think I may be right back on the FX2 train..

Comment

Working...