Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Beat Your Music music import assistance

  1. #1
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default Beat Your Music music import assistance

    Hey everyone,

    In this thread we help people with the Beat Your Music mode, which allows you to import your music into the game. If you're having problems getting the beat info correct or have other issues, post here! We'll try to get you beat info that you can then enter manually, or at least let you know if the song's not going to work (e.g., because of its inconsistent beat).

    Some helpful info about the music you can use:
    - MP3 format, 44.1kHz sample rate (any bitrate should work). Other file formats / codecs may work but aren't officially supported. 48kHz sample rate is known to cause problems.
    - Songs must first be copied to your PS3/Vita music library
    - Artist and Song Name will automatically be filled using mp3 metadata (you can edit them afterwards, though)
    - Max length of 6:00
    - As stated in the manual, songs where the beat changes (ex: "Stairway To Heaven", which gets faster and faster) or that have pauses where the beat doesn't sync up on resume won't work well

    If you aren't looking for help and would just like to share song settings, please use this thread instead.
    Last edited by Solitude; 09-08-2013 at 04:10 AM.

  2. #2
    Member vivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Is Beat Offset higher than 60/BPM supported?
    I have big collection of tracks with BPM and first beat offset information (it's the time of first beat, it's usually higher than 60/BPM) and wondering if I would have to recalculate (Offset % (60. / BPM)) the second number.

    MyAnimeList / My LBPV level: "Netwalk"

  3. #3
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vivan View Post
    Is Beat Offset higher than 60/BPM supported?
    I have big collection of tracks with BPM and first beat offset information (it's the time of first beat, it's usually higher than 60/BPM) and wondering if I would have to recalculate (Offset % (60. / BPM)) the second number.
    Yes, beat offset can be higher than 60/bpm. I'm not sure if there is a limit, but if there is, it's fairly high.

    Edit: the limit is 1 second. So the above is correct for game purposes, since the game requires a tempo of at least 60 bpm.
    Last edited by Solitude; 09-04-2013 at 05:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    It all depends on getting the beat settings correct - we can certainly help you with this in the thread that Barbie linked to. Worst case, just tell us the song and we'll post settings for it (or let you know if it's not suitable for the game, which may be the case if the tempo is inconsistent) that you can then just type into the BPM and beat start fields - no messing with the BPM calculator.

    And a video tutorial is a GREAT idea. I'll get to work on that today.
    As Solitude told me on another topic, I need/want/really need help with this songs that I'm trying to beat:

    1) Artist: Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Soundtrack
    Song: Fragile
    Beat Start that was set: 0.144
    BPM: 129,224 (some google search and I find that is 129)
    Variance: ALL, I enjoy playing on 2.

    This track has a slow piano beat first, then comes the drum beat. Variation 2 was close during this 2nd part.

    2) Artist: Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Soundtrack
    Song: Fragile (Redlight Remix)
    Beat Start that was set: 0.004
    BPM: 128,553 (129 on google)
    Variance: ALL, I enjoy playing on 3, but only on the first part of the song.
    Almost the same song as the 1st, little longer and different tempos.

    3)Artist: Metallica
    Song: My Apocalypse
    Beat Start that was set: 0.152
    BPM: 190. The game set 101,993 lol, even with my correct timming to hit about 150-200, I got the message that was higher then 200 and the value went down to 101.
    Variance: all, but I enjoy playing on 3.

    This was only playing on normal because, on hard, only got blue and red enemies, and It was lame: no rhythm on the enemies + song.

    I'm still testing some songs, trying to enjoy this feature on my songs. So here are some artists from my playlist, that I'm going to try next. The song will be random probably, but I will try to get from the latest albums. Just posting this because, maybe some of you will test first, I only play on my PSVita at night: Nickelback, Stone Sour, System of a Down, Foo Fighters, Evergrey, ACDC.

    Thanks for the help.

  5. #5
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Edit: for #1, I get 129 even for bpm and 0 for beat start. However, the first half is basically half the bpm. So you will have a 1st half that may feel too fast. You could do 64.5 and have a 2nd half that may feel too slow. Depends on what you think feels best. Note that beat start time may differ because of different amounts of intro silence from mp3 file to mp3 file. If you need to adjust it, just increase it in increments of 0.05 and hit listen, until it sounds close. Then fine tune as desired, increasing or reducing in smaller amounts to get perfect alignment. In this song's case, when listening to check the beat, I would fast-forward to the 2nd half of the song where the beat is most pronounced. It's tougher to check against the 1st half.

    For #2, I get 129.541 and beat start 0.247
    But the problem is, it changes tempo just over 50% of the way in. Songs that change tempo aren't going to work well, unfortunately, because the analyzer uses the beat as a skeleton and then analyzes the music to flesh it out. If the beat isn't constant, there are going to be bones sticking out.

    Checking out the other two now...

    Edit: for "My Apocolypse", try BPM 184.648 and beat start 0.058. And whatever variance you think fits. It's a bit tough for me to follow the beat during the thrash parts so you'll have to let me know how those settings work out.
    Last edited by Solitude; 09-05-2013 at 04:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    For #2, I get 129.541 and beat start 0.247
    But the problem is, it changes tempo just over 50% of the way in. Songs that change tempo aren't going to work well, unfortunately, because the analyzer uses the beat as a skeleton and then analyzes the music to flesh it out. If the beat isn't constant, there are going to be bones sticking out.

    Checking out the other two now...

    Edit: for "My Apocolypse", try BPM 184.648 and beat start 0.058. And whatever variance you think fits. It's a bit tough for me to follow the beat during the thrash parts so you'll have to let me know how those settings work out.
    Testing #2 now, My apocalipse later on.

    And can you explain how Beat start works and how changing from, lets say 0,233 to 0,285, gives us a different song to play?
    Last edited by Solitude; 09-05-2013 at 04:35 AM.

  7. #7
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Beat start just helps you line up the beat you made with the song's beat. Let's say you have a song that's 120 BPM. You run the calculation tool and get the correct BPM, but there's a problem. Every hit is about .2 sec too early, all the way through the song. By increasing the value of beat start by .2, you shift the beat forward so that it matches up.

    If the hits are all .2 sec too late, then you reduce the beat start by .2. Or if you can't reduce it because it's already < .2, you can do a little bit of math:

    120BPM = 60 seconds / 120 beats = 0.5 sec per beat. So let's say the Beat Start is 0.1 and you want to reduce it by .2. That would mean that there's a beat at -0.1 seconds, another beat at 0.4 seconds, another at 0.9, etc. because there's a beat every 0.5 seconds. So instead of subtracting to match the beat at -0.1, you match the beat at 0.4 instead, changing beat start from 0.1 to 0.4.

    Changing beat start also helps if someone has already calculated the correct beat values on their game, but you have different files with different amounts of silence at the beginning, and their settings are not working for you. So if you have an extra 0.3 of silence at the beginning of your file, you would want to change the beat start value they gave you by +0.3.
    Last edited by Solitude; 09-05-2013 at 04:44 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    I've tried running 3 different songs through the "Beat Your Own Music" gamemode, only one of which is reasonably good. I'll post the settings for all 3 and if anybody wants to tweak them, you're more than welcome to do so.

    Track Name: Sexy And I Know It (3:19)
    Artist Name: LMFAO
    Variance: 1
    Beat Start: 0.134
    BPM: 65.022 [SongBPM has suggested 130 BPM, it feels right towards the end so perhaps the Variance and Beat Start can be tweaked]

    This song works reasonably well, but may benefit from additional tweaking. The other two don't work well at all and would benefit greatly from changes if anybody else has them in their library.

    Track Name: Gangnam Style (4:12)
    Artist Name: PSY
    Variance: 2
    Beat Start: 0.284
    BPM: 130.486 [SongBMP.com has suggested 132 BPM, I will be testing this momentarily.]

    Track Name: Unavoidable Battle (2:52)
    Artist Name: Shoji Meguro
    Variance: 1
    Beat Start: 0.964
    BPM: 94.861
    Last edited by BrendanBeckmann; 09-05-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Editing BPM values.

  9. #9

    Unhappy I'm not understanding the Beat Calculator...

    Hello...

    Okay, I'm not getting the Beat Calculator. When it's telling me that I'm pressing Triangle during certain parts of the song [Beginning/Middle/End], I'm not getting what part of the beat it wants me to press Triangle. Am I suppose to pressed it on each beat? Like, every time my foot taps?

    I'm a dancer [and Martial Artist... the one from Twitter lol], so I think I'm counting the beats differently.

    When I do it, the guys attack me, off beat, and it never really goes with the song.

    What am I doing wrong? Can you maybe post a YouTube video?

    Thanks

    ...oh and how will I see your reply? Will I be getting an email about this?

  10. #10
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Yes, just tap along with the beat as if you were tapping your foot or clapping or whatever.

  11. #11

    Talking I think I get it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Yes, just tap along with the beat as if you were tapping your foot or clapping or whatever.
    Okay, just tap along to the beat. Cool. I thought I had to try and identify every beat in the song lol I was pressing on the kick, base, clap, etc... lol thanks. I'll try it again now.

  12. #12
    Junior Member Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default Tracks I'm testing

    Ana Tijoux - 1977

    Beats Antique - 100 eyes

    Chicane - Offshore

    Fluke - Atombomb

    The Glitch Mob - Fortune Days

    The Prodigy - Breathe

    The Roots - The Seed (2.0)

    Will post back when i can.

  13. #13
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanBeckmann View Post
    I've tried running 3 different songs through the "Beat Your Own Music" gamemode, only one of which is reasonably good. I'll post the settings for all 3 and if anybody wants to tweak them, you're more than welcome to do so.

    Track Name: Unavoidable Battle (2:52)
    Artist Name: Shoji Meguro
    Variance: 1
    Beat Start: 0.964
    BPM: 94.861
    For this one, I get beat settings of Beat Start 0.414 and BPM 89.951.

    Have not found your version (4:12 length) of Gangnam Style.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Asking for best setting

    Anyone got a good setting to Gemini-Blue

  15. #15
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madzero View Post
    Anyone got a good setting to Gemini-Blue
    Beat start: 0.4
    BPM: 70 (use 140 if you want a faster-paced track, though it will not emphasize the actual beat as much)

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I just tried the beat making thinggy and...

    Well I'm happy that it is very simple to create your own music tracks.. BUT it is too simple...

    I tried using the songs: LORDI - DEVIL IS A LOSER & MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE - F*** MACHINE

    And even if I tried with a really fast bpm for either... it still felt slow to the song, and even if some goons to fight were perfectly timed, MOST of them werent timed at all... would love to be able to edit and place the goons on the track and the timing that we want... like having red goons precisely at 1min32sec... then place 4 yellows back to back at 2min44 for example...

    Still the game is awesome... hope there's going to be a followup... maybe DLC story pack with new songs perhaps? :-)
    Last edited by Solitude; 09-08-2013 at 05:02 AM.

  17. #17
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slave View Post
    I just tried the beat making thinggy and...

    Well I'm happy that it is very simple to create your own music tracks.. BUT it is too simple...

    I tried using the songs: LORDI - DEVIL IS A LOSER & MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE - F*** MACHINE

    And even if I tried with a really fast bpm for either... it still felt slow to the song, and even if some goons to fight were perfectly timed, MOST of them werent timed at all... would love to be able to edit and place the goons on the track and the timing that we want... like having red goons precisely at 1min32sec... then place 4 yellows back to back at 2min44 for example...

    Still the game is awesome... hope there's going to be a followup... maybe DLC story pack with new songs perhaps? :-)
    Well, we wanted to make a feature that everyone could use, not just people who wanted to dig into a complex editor. Hopefully, if the game does well, we can add new editing features for advanced users, plus content packs like you describe.

    What settings did you use for those songs? I can take a look and see if I can come up with better ones...

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I finally unlocked beat your music and decided to take it for a spin. First track I imported was Move by Thousand Foot Krutch, and I have to say the BPM tool works very good. Got it set up, but when I went to start the game it just hangs as the loading screen. Any idea what I may have done wrong?

  19. #19
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    You may be using an incompatible format, such as m4a or wma.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngreatshark View Post
    I finally unlocked beat your music and decided to take it for a spin. First track I imported was Move by Thousand Foot Krutch, and I have to say the BPM tool works very good. Got it set up, but when I went to start the game it just hangs as the loading screen. Any idea what I may have done wrong?
    Nvm, didn't realize it was in email format, I converted it and it works. Sort of mixed on how it came out, the BPM calculator seems accurate, it calculated it at 84.5 BPM, and on a well know BPM website it list it as being 85 BPM. Just didnt reeaaly seem to have that connection with the enemies and timing like the stock songs have. I may need to tweak it a little

  21. #21
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngreatshark View Post
    Nvm, didn't realize it was in email format, I converted it and it works. Sort of mixed on how it came out, the BPM calculator seems accurate, it calculated it at 84.5 BPM, and on a well know BPM website it list it as being 85 BPM. Just didnt reeaaly seem to have that connection with the enemies and timing like the stock songs have. I may need to tweak it a little
    I'll check the song and get back to you.

    Edit: Checked, and 84.5 is correct. Beat Start 0.086 or so. Try changing the variance setting to get different patterns. The connection to the music is never going to be as good as with the hand-scripted tracks, but hopefully you'll find one that gets pretty close. Also, the higher the difficulty, the better the connection will tend to be.
    Last edited by Solitude; 09-11-2013 at 11:44 PM.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    So first of all I have to say that it's a shame you guys didn't get the sales you wanted/needed/deserved (according to a post on Neogaf anyway), though I have to say that there was barely any coverage of this game at all (that I've seen) and I sort of stumbled on it by accident too.

    The mechanics, the soundtrack and the music editor might not be perfect but it's often times fun as hell and a breath of fresh air for the rhythm game genre (especially for this price). I hope that you get enough sales to support it with updates in the future.

    In the meantime I would appreciate if someone could help me with one song (to see if I did it correctly).

    Artist: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
    Album: The Heist
    Song: Thrift Shop (3:56)

    Thanks in advance.

  23. #23
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KickBeater View Post
    So first of all I have to say that it's a shame you guys didn't get the sales you wanted/needed/deserved (according to a post on Neogaf anyway), though I have to say that there was barely any coverage of this game at all (that I've seen) and I sort of stumbled on it by accident too.

    The mechanics, the soundtrack and the music editor might not be perfect but it's often times fun as hell and a breath of fresh air for the rhythm game genre (especially for this price). I hope that you get enough sales to support it with updates in the future.

    In the meantime I would appreciate if someone could help me with one song (to see if I did it correctly).

    Artist: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
    Album: The Heist
    Song: Thrift Shop (3:56)

    Thanks in advance.
    Glad you're having some fun with it.

    Beat Start: 0.416
    BPM: 95

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Love the game, starting to use the Beat Your Music now.

    Any help on this song would be appreciated, not even sure if it will work correctly, just need someone to help lol.

    Artist: Avril Lavigne
    Song: Rock N Roll

  25. #25
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRDaz View Post
    Love the game, starting to use the Beat Your Music now.

    Any help on this song would be appreciated, not even sure if it will work correctly, just need someone to help lol.

    Artist: Avril Lavigne
    Song: Rock N Roll
    This song has some weird tempo changes, including a gradual slowdown at the end, and basically skipping half a beat at times, but most parts of the song will be semi-decent with these settings (bpm is doubled to compensate for the skipping):
    BPM: 185.346
    Beat Start: 0.167

  26. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    This song has some weird tempo changes, including a gradual slowdown at the end, and basically skipping half a beat at times, but most parts of the song will be semi-decent with these settings (bpm is doubled to compensate for the skipping):
    BPM: 185.346
    Beat Start: 0.167
    Wow, just tried it, and it seems to work pretty good! Better than my attempt at least! Thank you!

  27. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I just cant get Busta Rhymes Can you keep up and Tech Nines worldwide choppers to good fast enough. Can someone give me some good numbers, preferably with blue enemies coming out like crazy

  28. #28
    KickBeaten Down
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    918

    Default

    I'm on vacation without my Vita, but I'll help on Tuesday if no one else has by then!

  29. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default My songs wont load T_T

    I just downloaded this game the other day and the very first thing I did was play the story, unlock Beat your Music, and added a few songs to it. I tapped with the beat and such, but when i go to start my songs, its as if the game freezes on the loading screen. It says that its loading, but 15-20 minutes later I am still starring at the same screen. Is it maybe my songs? Or do i have to wait for a while the first time (like i know some games do for custom "additions" to the games).

    Here are the songs I used..

    Twiztid- Blood...All I Need
    Gangsta Walk- Snoop Dogg
    My Axe- Insane Clown Posse
    Loud- Mac Miller

    I dont know the in depth info on the song speeds and such, i just assumed that tapping the button to the beat was how you imported the music. Do the songs need to be like, specific settings?

  30. #30
    Member vivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    KFizzle290,
    are importing m4a/aac tracks? Such problem is common with it.
    Only stereo mp3 with 44.1 kHz sample rate are officially supported. With them loading time should quite short (like 10-15 seconds).
    And no, no specific settings are needed.
    Last edited by vivan; 11-04-2013 at 02:21 PM.

    MyAnimeList / My LBPV level: "Netwalk"

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    i think this is kinda of topic but can anyone help me how to edit the songs?like on BPM, Beat start and variance? im still new to the game and just unlocked the beat your music..if some of you are kind enough can you please tell me the settings for the song "Stop Biting- by Chicosci and some songs from A day to remember, linkin park and limp bizkit.. thanks in advance

  32. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default Songs question

    First time I played it and I'm loving it!! Finished the story (Lee's version) and unlocked the mode to play with my songs. Could anybody know which BPM or stats I should use for the mortal Kombat song (Techno Syndrome) by The Immortals and Remember the name by Fort Minor be? I searched for the BPM's for them on google but the enemies go off beat and slow at times. Thanks in advance!

  33. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Just starting back on my Vita with the Steam release getting me excited, and I tried getting 5 songs in. None working well. I know their BPMs, but have no clue how to measure the beat start time! I believe every tenth or even hundredth of a second there could make or break a beat!

    The following are the song titles, with BPM I found in brackets (may not be correct) and their links (just to make sure we have the same track length and therefore beat start time):

    1) Revive (143) - http://electronicsuperjoy.bandcamp.com/track/revive
    2) Work B*tch (128) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra-h_p-vD2s
    3) Everytime We Touch (142) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLV0vBzUsHs
    3) Acapella (170) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-KmspHeTGo

  34. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default problem in beat your music

    I imported songs to the game on PS3 (MP3, 44.1) but when I start the game there is no music, in the BPM section the song plays fine but when starting the game is where the music does not play. Can someone help me solve this???
    Last edited by ivanangulo; 10-23-2015 at 01:52 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •