Thread: some impressions about the game so far

Default some impressions about the game so far

i bought the game on launch day, to be honest i didn´t hear about the game till a friend told me just a day before launch, and im so glad i tried it. so far i must say the gameplay is awesome and fun, and i really liked the tracks specially the voicians, celldweller and pendulum ones (but all the others are just perfect for the game).

now on to suggestions, or things i think that would help:

- on the leaderboards it would be nice to know on what level the player achieved the score, so if you try to beat a certain one, you try it on the same difficulty (or to at least know what kind of excecution is needed to beat that score).

- in freeplay is kinda ackward to select the difficulty and then the song, its kinda hard to track the score on the same song at different difficulties.

- on visualizer, a graphic with the tempo would help to understand better the timings on certain patterns.

to be honest i can think on other stuff, but none of the above is something that killed the great experience and fun im having with the game, i would love to see a dlc with more songs in the future (im not kinda into "beat your music" to be honest) and another storyline with those secret characters. thanks for reading this, and congratulations to the dev team.

pd: and sorry for my english, it´s not my first language

KickBeaten Down

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for playing! As suggested in another thread, playing on the Sphere or Tokyo Rooftops stages will give you the best graphical indication of the beat, since so many parts of the level (and even the enemies, in Sphere) are connected to it.

I hope we can do some DLC, too! What songs would be your first choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for playing! As suggested in another thread, playing on the Sphere or Tokyo Rooftops stages will give you the best graphical indication of the beat, since so many parts of the level (and even the enemies, in Sphere) are connected to it.

You should pick more Pendulum, Celldweller and could add Skrillex (It's really popular these days)...

Sum 41, GreenDay, Gorillaz, Papa Roach, The offspring and so on would be great too :P

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by DJKero View Post
    You should pick more Pendulum, Celldweller and could add Skrillex (It's really popular these days)...

Sum 41, GreenDay, Gorillaz, Papa Roach, The offspring and so on would be great too :P
    We actually looked into "Come Out and Play" during the licensing phase, but the tempo changes made the song problematic. Maybe one of their other songs has a consistent beat...

We certainly could use at least a couple dubstep tracks. I know some people hate it, but it fits the game pretty well, and we don't have any at all.

So, I did a bit of "shopping around" so to say regarding this. I have a couple of tracks I'd like to suggest. The first few are from more... indie sources, and might be easier to work with personality wise or financially since you do have to pay for licensing. Mind you, that's just my own opinion, and I do not mean to speak on their behalf. Now, for my suggestions:

Money - Mystery Skulls
    Mystery Skulls EP
    Just a super sweet electro track. It has several breakdowns which would be perfect for the "cutscene" breaks KickBeat uses.

Atomic Bonsai - Joren "Tensei" de Bruin
    Strife!
    Worth mentioning this is from Homestuck, a webcomic with an over 2 million member readership. A despite being a comic, it has a soundtrack. An over 20 albums soundtrack. If you want a "signal boost" as the kids these days say, finding a track from the discography you like and licensing it would be a huge bit of publicity as the fandom and demographic is *very* internet and video game attentive.

End to a Violent Heart - Torcht
    Nitronic Rush: Original Soundtrack
    The main song from the game Nitronic Rush, a Digi-pen student project that was basically a Rush 2097 loveletter, and went to spawn a spiritual but commercial successor Distance, which thanks to Kickstarter is now in development. The music from Nitronic however is amazing, and this could be a great KickBeat song.

Triple Accelerator - Dirty Androids
    DA Old Tape
    Erm... no excuses here. It's from one of my favorite Japanese artists (found them from IIDX), and this song could be really cool to play.

Pedals - Jack Conte (actual track is about 3:40; rest is super cool info about his projects)
    Conte EP
    Jack Conte is amazing. He's half of Pompalouse, a super famous YouTube duo, and he also founded Patreon, which is like Kickstarter but for people that regularly create content, such as musicians on YouTube that frequently upload or things of that nature. I don't mean to speak for him, but he'd probably love to get involved and his tunes are awesome.

What follows are things that while I'm less passionate about, but they're also less indie but I think could work. Also, any language issues in the Papa Roach and Mindless Self Indulgence song shouldn't be a problem as radio friendly versions were produced as well.

...To Be Loved - Papa Roach
    The Paramour Sessions

Something Good '09 (Radio Edit) - Utah Saints
    Something Good '09 EP

Still Alive (Teddybears Mix) - Lisa Miskovsky
    Mirror's Edge - The Remixes

Shut Me Up - Mindless Self Indulgence
    You'll Rebel to Anything

There's my suggestions for what they're worth. Hopefully listening to some of them at least inspire some possible ideas or help you think of other tracks that would kick the beat (see what I did there) really well.
    Last edited by Shinji16; 09-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Smile - life is good! Check out my blog here - Check out my IIDX shenanigans here
    Tired of your search engine putting you in a filter bubble or tracking you like other search engines? Then you should try DuckDuckGo!

KickBeaten Down

Thanks for all the obscure but excellent suggestions! These are great, and you're absolutely correct about indie stuff usually being cheaper and easier to license.

Thanks for all the obscure but excellent suggestions! These are great, and you're absolutely correct about indie stuff usually being cheaper and easier to license.
    Thank you! I do my best! And I will have more; just can't think proper as I'm temporarily hellbent on a Master perfect clear of Construct.

But yeah, Money would be amazing, and any Homestuck license would cause a frenzy, guaranteed.
    Smile - life is good! Check out my blog here - Check out my IIDX shenanigans here
    Tired of your search engine putting you in a filter bubble or tracking you like other search engines? Then you should try DuckDuckGo!

yo, i finally have some time to come to the forums. ive done aquick search on my mp3s and heres some of my choices:

pendulum - blood sugar (the intro is kinda long though) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Rl096vMf0
    pendulum - crush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc2Z03V22to

to be honest theres a TON of pendulum songs that i think would work awesome with the game, and well im kinda a fan of pendulum lol. another songs that i think would work are (maybe i can post more tomorrow, i have a ton to check hahaha):

deadmau5 - some chords (its a long song) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQMkzjcLEA
    deadmau5 - a city in florida http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2KqZUCsBY
    the prodigy - warriors dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac8khiLO-JE
    black stone cherry - blind man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1_cpIIzXI
    zero - emit collect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78dMQr8qA_g
    ferry corsten - fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Uuarao5hM

some oldies, but for some reason i remember them, and it would be so cool to play these:

cypress hill - insane in the brain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5oWzB4Xgzw
    mc hammer - too legit to quit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdk1gwWH-Cg

btw atomic bonsay posted by shinji16 sounds kick ass too!

im really hoping the game is doing fine with the sales, and someday we see a sequel or a dlc for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mechsito View Post
    pendulum - blood sugar (the intro is kinda long though) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Rl096vMf0
    I was debating this, or Girl in the Fire, but they just don't have decent timing that would go well with KickBeat in my opinion.

btw atomic bonsay...sounds kick ass too!
    You should check the whole album! It's all short battle themes for 4 of the main characters from the comic. Plus the whole discography? There are really no bad choices. You should explore it.

i wanted to report im having an issue with 2 tropies (im playing on ps3 version). for some reason i didnt get the "half master" and "a true master", needless to say i already completed the 18 tracks with 5 stars on master with 14 red stars and nothing happens, i don´t care about trophies that much, but im wondering if i can do anything to fix this.
    my twitter: GCmech

i already completed the 18 tracks with 5 stars on master with 14 red stars
    HOLY CRAP YOU MOVE FAST!

You're going to be a worthy adversary!

KickBeaten Down

i wanted to report im having an issue with 2 tropies (im playing on ps3 version). for some reason i didnt get the "half master" and "a true master", needless to say i already completed the 18 tracks with 5 stars on master with 14 red stars and nothing happens, i don´t care about trophies that much, but im wondering if i can do anything to fix this.
    I also ran into the problem with True Master on Vita. We're figuring out the exact problem and plan to fix it in an update.

Theres one guy who got half a master trophy on the vita version called Dancingrobot, is that you solitude?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji16 View Post
    HOLY CRAP YOU MOVE FAST!

You're going to be a worthy adversary!
    haha thanks, all records are beatable though, i always break the combo at some point in every song (except for war dance, you need a full combo for that one if you want red star. btw im not playing that one NEVER AGAIN ;___; )

I also ran into the problem with True Master on Vita. We're figuring out the exact problem and plan to fix it in an update.
    nice! like i said, not a big fan of trophies but i guess every input helps to improve the game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Prtmcluesrol View Post
    Theres one guy who got half a master trophy on the vita version called Dancingrobot, is that you solitude?
    same question here, i was wondering if dancingrobot was a tester or something, his/her scores were nuts on day one O:

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Prtmcluesrol View Post
    Yes.

Yes.
    Good to know. I'm looking forward to getting you and mechsito on my friends list. Our Dojo Score will strike fear in the hearts of all other Kickbeat warriors.

Good to know. I'm looking forward to getting you and mechsito on my friends list. Our Dojo Score will strike fear in the hearts of all other Kickbeat warriors.
    my psn id it´s "mechsito" just my nick in here, feel free to add me if you want ;D

my psn id it´s "mechsito" just my nick in here, feel free to add me if you want ;D
    Eldermatrix. See you online soon!

Well, I downloaded the demo for this game and was hooked. Kudos to the Zen team, this is a really good rhythm game. I played through on Hard and Expert, and I'm clawing my way thru Master now. My favorite stage is, by far, the helicopter battle with Rob Zombie music. There's just something about punching missiles to Scum of the Earth that's just so satisfying! I agree that the Calldweller and Voicians music was top-notch. Didn't care much for the rap-like styles or screaming in some of the harder songs.

Here are a few songs that I think would work well for DLC:

Electric Six - Danger! High Voltage! - A slower-paced song with a disco-sounding style. It would really stand out in the track list. There's also the more well-known and faster-paced song Gay bar.

Nickleback - Burn it to the Ground - A fast-paced fight song with a solid beat. It's practically made for this game, with the lyrics describing an evening of chaos and violence: Were going out tonight; To kick out every light; Take anything we want; Take everything in sight

Savlonic - Computer Guy - A moderately-paced song that would fit well among the other songs currently playable.

Offspring - Original Prankster - If you're looking for an Offspring song with a consistent beat, then this is a good choice.

KickBeaten Down

That Nickelback song is one we considered, actually. But Nickelback is one of those bands that some people love to hate, so we passed on it.

I love the helicopter boss too. I'm trying to get the trophy for that level (don't get hit by any of the missiles) and it's proving bothersome thus far.

EDIT: Got it! And I got five silver stars as well!
    Last edited by Jeppo99; 09-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    PSN: Jeppo99
    Feel free to friend me, but make sure you mention that you are from these forums.

That Nickelback song is one we considered, actually. But Nickelback is one of those bands that some people love to hate, so we passed on it.
    Understandable-- a lot of their songs are terrible. But great music is great, regardless of the artist.

Default Woo top 25 on the vita! :d

I'm on the top 25 of kickbeat im gonna get better and better till i get to top 10

Quote Originally Posted by joaoleixoes View Post
    I'm on the top 25 of kickbeat im gonna get better and better till i get to top 10
    Mechsito and I will see you there!

He is playing on Vita...

There's no way to check ps3 leaderboards without owning a ps3, right?

MyAnimeList / My LBPV level: "Netwalk"

I now know the excitement of seeing your name on the leaderboards... somehow I made it to #8. It's weird, I went from "I'll never get very good at this game" to "Woah, I'm suddenly in the top 10."

Needless to say, I'm really loving this game. Normally I'm not fond of rap or screaming, but most of these songs are really growing on me because of how fun the gameplay is. I love how many unlockables there are, as that's usually what drives me to continue to play a game after I've beaten it (either that or trophies).

Few thoughts I had:

-I was surprised to see that the Master, the mercenary chief, and the helicopter pilot weren't unlockable characters. Might this be something we see in the future? And maybe Halisi as well?

-As was said earlier, it would be kinda cool to see story modes for Jane and Anthony. I don't regret their inclusion (I actually use Anthony all the time), but they just sorta came out of nowhere, they aren't even in the background during cutscenes.

-As super-hard as some of these trophies are, why aren't any of them gold?

-There seems to be a weird bug with the cutscenes. I have beaten both story modes, but it seems that if I play a stage over again and skip the cutscene, then Mei's version of the scene gets locked the gallery for some reason. This even happens when I'm playing as Lee. So right now, I have her intro and all the scenes for the Turkish Bath and The Sphere, but everything in between is locked, even though the first time I played as her I watched them all and had them unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by rasgar View Post
    -As super-hard as some of these trophies are, why aren't any of them gold?
    There's a limit for total points of games without platinum - 315. Bronze is 15, silver is 30, gold is 90. So, basically adding 1 gold trophy means getting rid of 3 silver ones (or 6 bronze ones).

-As was said earlier, it would be kinda cool to see story modes for Jane and Anthony. I don't regret their inclusion (I actually use Anthony all the time), but they just sorta came out of nowhere, they aren't even in the background during cutscenes.
    THIS, i would love a story mode for those 2, obviously with their own tracklist
    Last edited by mechsito; 10-02-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vivan View Post
    There's a limit for total points of games without platinum - 315. Bronze is 15, silver is 30, gold is 90. So, basically adding 1 gold trophy means getting rid of 3 silver ones (or 6 bronze ones).
    Wow, I never knew that. I figured there must be a point value for the trophy types... now I know. Thanks!

I know its almost impossible to see Rush and/or Dreamtheater, bc they're anything but consistent when it comes to their beat, lol. but would be awesome

Buuuut, what about:
    Chthonic
    Pierce the Veil
    Less Than Jake (I'ld kill for this band being on a rhythm game )
    Nightwish
    Versus Them (six am salvation)

+ standards like +44, blink 182, green day, or any other punk-rock band xD

other than songs, ild really like to see song-leaderboards. just to see how much more ppl got in a specific song

Quote Originally Posted by LoAlexandria View Post
    other than songs, ild really like to see song-leaderboards. just to see how much more ppl got in a specific song
    Scoreboards in Main Menu

Scoreboards in Main Menu
    oh damn, how can i miss that? oO
    gotta check it out now xD

Default Nevermind :p

Mechsito and I will see you there!
    Well now im at top 13 ALMOST THERE

EDIT: Btw , just to say this is the game that i liked the most on the vita
    Last edited by joaoleixoes; 10-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.

I know its almost impossible to see Rush and/or Dreamtheater, bc they're anything but consistent when it comes to their beat, lol. but would be awesome

Buuuut, what about:
    Chthonic
    Pierce the Veil
    Less Than Jake (I'ld kill for this band being on a rhythm game )
    Nightwish
    Versus Them (six am salvation)

+ standards like +44, blink 182, green day, or any other punk-rock band xD

Have you heard Dream Theater's new album? SOOO GOOD! Also - LTJ would be fun - I may have to try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    Have you heard Dream Theater's new album? SOOO GOOD! Also - LTJ would be fun - I may have to try that out.
    oh yeah it is

yeah, LTJ has some nice beats to play along. fits perfect imo

btw, Leaderboard: why does it include custom songs? kinda sucks imo, #1 isnt the best, its just the one importing and playing the most of his own tracks :/
    Last edited by LoAlexandria; 10-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.

btw, Leaderboard: why does it include custom songs? kinda sucks imo, #1 isnt the best, its just the one importing and playing the most of his own tracks :/
    o_O
    No, it doesn't include them. However it does include Survival score.

o_O
    No, it doesn't include them. However it does include Survival score.
    ooooh my bad then
    still kinda weird imo, not dislike it, but weird xD

but now 50mil scores make sence

i think total score is your best score in each song (regardless difficulty) plus survival mode score. btw was a pain to get 17mill on survival.

17 million? Crap, and I was feeling pretty good about my 12.8. But I'm going to have to try again at some point because I want that survival trophy.

i think total score is your best score in each song (regardless difficulty) plus survival mode score. btw was a pain to get 17mill on survival.
    haha, yeah, ill get ya soon though
    just a matter of time as long as u keep ur hands off the controller

17 million? Crap, and I was feeling pretty good about my 12.8. But I'm going to have to try again at some point because I want that survival trophy.
    actually, the first place on survival is 20 mill something D:

haha, yeah, ill get ya soon though
    just a matter of time as long as u keep ur hands off the controller
    hahaha fair enough!

actually, the first place on survival is 20 mill something D:
    20? On Vita my score is a bit higher than 20 mil and I'm not even in the top 5
    27,433,625 is a top score here.

20? On Vita my score is a bit higher than 20 mil and I'm not even in the top 5
    27,433,625 is a top score here.
    mmm, maybe there´s two scoreboards, one for ps3 and vita : /

Yeah, they are separate. I was just thinking that ps3's leaderboard had higher scores since a bit better controller and Crazy Bemani Guy(s)

it would be nice to see a score comparison between ps3/vita , i don´t have a vita to see that leaderboard.

it would be nice to see a score comparison between ps3/vita , i don´t have a vita to see that leaderboard.
    vivan wont believe it, but - every #1 on PS3 is weaker than Vita's #1 scores. most of PS3's #1 scores wouldnt even make it into top 5 or even top 10 for vita scoreboards.
    kinda weird imo, but maybe ppl dont get their system calibrated well enough, not sure though.

but first ill go for PS3 scoreboard, mechsito must be destroyed - he has been on top for way to long

Okay, let's do this https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...rm-leaderboard
    But I need your help, since I don't have ps3.

im at work atm, and probably get home late tonight (movie night!), anyway just checked the vita leaderboard on the new topic (brilliant idea btw) and is sick!, i will try my best this weekend to get better scores.

im at work atm, and probably get home late tonight (movie night!), anyway just checked the vita leaderboard on the new topic (brilliant idea btw) and is sick!, i will try my best this weekend to get better scores.
    stop it, hands off ur controller, I'm #1 at just 4/18 songs yet, gotta wait a few days imo xD
    but at least this scoreboard doesnt show at all how single tracks look like on vita, we (50% #1 and/or 2) wouldnt make it into top 5 most the time, vita has some sick "chi-pather" imo, dunno how they could get such a high score in any other way than just activating chi much better.

i mentioned it on a song i was grinding, after 2nd break i was either at 230 or 310k (fc up to that point, during chi activation i perfect FCd the parts.) so there is a shitload of points just for pathing the right way i guess

Yeah, Chi plays significant role. Once I had great run but broke combo 1 time, on next one I FCed that song but got lower score.

Also I can create another leaderboard just for Survival, and than another one - Total Score minus Survival...

Yeah, they are separate. I was just thinking that ps3's leaderboard had higher scores since a bit better controller and Crazy Bemani Guy(s)
    I've been unfortunately absent from Kickbeat lately. Something about Final Fantasy 14 and all my coworkers playing it or something like that...

I'm looking forward to grinding a few hour sessions of Kickbeat in the next few days though. Such a great game.

ok new suggestion: PLEASE add a message "are you sure?" on restart! ;___;

ok new suggestion: PLEASE add a message "are you sure?" on restart! ;___;
    no please dont, o i love to restart by just pausing and accepting, without even have to go to restart over and over again xD
    but i can see it might get dangerous, lol (happened to me once though)

where can i find a survival leaderboard? cant find it anywhere? -.-"
    21mil something on ps3 though.
    ill go for it after i finally 6starred all other songs i havent yet - annoying to lose life just during "new" songs - but i just wanted to get the trophy so bad, so i passed 11 tracks.

really love this game and its game modes,

where can i find a survival leaderboard? cant find it anywhere? -.-"
    It's where songs leadearboards are, just swipe right (or use right stick). Yeah, it's kinda weird.