Results 1 to 54 of 54

Thread: Return of the jedi discussion

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    697

    Default Return of the jedi discussion

    Hey Guys,


    I think many are deeply involved with playing the tables so there isn't much discussion.

    Just barely missed getting all the scenes. I have beat every scene but scene 3. The speeder bike part is tough to get used to. Is there a final battle with emperor? Not sure his icon is in the midst of all the scenes.


    Really love the way the slings are so active. I actually get nervous when the ball is in the slings and trickle to either outlanes.

    Each mission seems to be clearly defined and pretty random (other than set ones in where to shoot) That's pretty cool.

    I love the fact that this table has so much to do and four different muti-balls which seem to stack like so many of Deep's tables.

    Actually there are 5 multi-balls with scene 4 battle of Endor.

    So as it is Any tips on the speeder bike part? I've been trying to figure out the best way to get more than one bike when I start the mode.

    Anyway, This table and Starfighter Assault are probably the best of the pack. I still rank Starfighter Assault above ROTJ but the scenes and the 4 different Multi-balls (outside of Scene 4 of course) are a blast.

    In the end if we rank that SW tables I would say my list would be (Even with the new tables released)

    Starfighter Assault
    ROTJ
    ESB
    Boba Fett
    Clone wars
    Darth Vader

  2. #2

    Default

    im enjoying this table as well..but damn..that ball has been bouncing so much i cringe whenever it's near any of the outlanes oh and still haven't defeated any of the enemies in the speeder playfield..crap. too hard to focus on the ball when you have to check the background as well XD

  3. #3
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenorhero View Post
    So as it is Any tips on the speeder bike part?
    I'm glad you enjoy the table
    My record is 11 troopers right now, so it isn't impossible Try to think in advance, and not always chasing the trooper, he will come to your track sooner or later. Pass the ball with nudge (I disabled the tilt in that mode) or with a center shot. Pay attention to the lamps, they will warn you if a tree is coming

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rafie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    1,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    I'm glad you enjoy the table
    My record is 11 troopers right now, so it isn't impossible Try to think in advance, and not always chasing the trooper, he will come to your track sooner or later. Pass the ball with nudge (I disabled the tilt in that mode) or with a center shot. Pay attention to the lamps, they will warn you if a tree is coming
    THANK YOU!!! I was wondering what to do on there. I only got 3 troopers and nothing more. LOL
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

    Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

  5. #5

    Default

    Yes thanks. That speeder game is tricky.

    Really enjoying this great table! I do totally suck though.....so two questions:

    1. Is the Sarlaac Pit a ball save and if so, how do you activate it?

    2. Anyone found a consistent shot for the right inlane?

    I want to focus on getting the ball saving mechanics active first, before I start going for the missions.

  6. #6
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit X View Post
    Yes thanks. That speeder game is tricky.

    Really enjoying this great table! I do totally suck though.....so two questions:

    1. Is the Sarlaac Pit a ball save and if so, how do you activate it?

    2. Anyone found a consistent shot for the right inlane?

    I want to focus on getting the ball saving mechanics active first, before I start going for the missions.
    The sarlacc pit is one of the ballout bonuses and you can raise it completing various modes.

    The right inlane hasn't a direct feed. I didn't want the players have active kickbacks all the time. You know, to get the things a less boring

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    The sarlacc pit is one of the ballout bonuses and you can raise it completing various modes.

    The right inlane hasn't a direct feed. I didn't want the players have active kickbacks all the time. You know, to get the things a less boring
    Ah, I see. Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to improve my nudging game!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit X View Post
    Ah, I see. Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to improve my nudging game!
    The rubbers on the right outlane are very bouncy and gives a good opportunity to shake the ball out of there. Furthermore, there is a switch right above the outlane that will often eject the ball away from the outlane if you activate it.

    I am having a problem with the left outlane R-2 bumper. I finally figured out that you have hit all the spot targets to activate the ball save. And I had to look up the guide to figure out that you can use R2 as bit of a magna save if you don't hit them all. That is what the counter near the left flipper indicates, the number of magna saves you have left. The problem is in view 1, which i use, you can't visualize the rightmost target to determine if you hit it or not. The lamp is hard to see as well. Is there a DMD cue or a visual or audio cue to let you know that you hit all the targets?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North-West England
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I haven't read the table guide yet, but I think you get ball save from the drop targets if your ball happens to fall down the left outlane. You have to hope the ball bumps the R2D2 bumper enough times to hit all of them before the (potentially) inevitable drain. If you do manage to bang the ball back into play, you still get the ballsave lit!

    I've noticed the slingshots are quite strong for a Zen pinball table, but as the outlanes are somewhat forgiving if you know when to nudge it shouldn't prove too much of a problem. I quite like the boingy slingshots myself. At least those Pinball Arcade fanatics can't complain about them!

    I like all the gadgets you've added on this table. I particularly love the [s]lamp[/s] deathstar spinner, and the loop ramp on the left-hand side.
    PSN: Jeppo99
    Feel free to friend me, but make sure you mention that you are from these forums.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Well I just defeated the wizard mode on ball 1 (after losing a 2 or 3 EBs). I can honestly say I had the most trouble with the last part of the first scene where you have to hit the varitarget about 3 times and then rotate the spinner around 40 times. You have to hit that target a bunch of times fairly quickly because you only get a little extra time when starting the next part where you have to hit the spinner. And hitting the spinner can be tricky. It's best to aim at the center ramp that feeds the upper flipper because the upper flipper can give you another quick crack at hitting the spinner.

    I like how you can quickly restart a scene or start a new scene if you fail or complete a mission, respectively. Nice little touch to reduce the monotony of starting modes. Multiball modes are fun and stackable with other multiballs, hurry-ups, and scenes. The wizard mode was pretty crazy, I wasn't entirely sure what to do. I won't spoil it but ended up getting around 35 million.

    Tips for the speeder mini-game. Definitely take advantage of the unlimited nudging. Hat tip to deep for that. Nudging is usually disabled during these mini-tables on other Zen tables so I didn't even think to try to nudge but is very important for ball control and setting up your next shot. If you randomly hit the outer orbits you can move your speeder directly into the path of tree. And like Deep said, flashing lamps on either orbit indicate that you are in the path of a tree. Follow the flashing lights on the orbits to avoid it. A great way to earn an easy ball is to repeat the speeder checkpoint on scene 3. I think you beat the mode if you defeat 3 speeders. So defeat 2 speeders and then fail the mission. Quickly restart it with the grace period. Defeat another 2 speeders and repeat until you defeat a total 10 speeders (I think) to get the EB. Unless you are very good at defeating a lot of speeders in a single round, then this is best way to defeat 10 of them. Spamming the center sinkhole to start the speeder mission during regular play can be time consuming.

    That's it for now. Great table Deep! One quick question, sometimes the Ewok catapult sitting on top of the right slingshot fires off some rocks. Is that just a random event or is it triggered? If triggered, what causes it to fire? Slingshot hits? Do you get any bonus points for it? It's a little thing that struck me as odd but kind of cool. It's like the chicken that lays the egg in Epic Quest.
    Last edited by surf1der; 10-18-2013 at 07:45 AM.

  11. #11
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    Great table Deep! One quick question, sometimes the Ewok catapult sitting on top of the right slingshot fires off some rocks. Is that just a random event or is it triggered? If triggered, what causes it to fire? Slingshot hits? Do you get any bonus points for it? It's a little thing that struck me as odd but kind of cool. It's like the chicken that lays the egg in Epic Quest.
    I'm glad you like the table I think 10 left slingshot hits needed for a catapult sling. The rock is being pulled a bit after every slingshot hit, however it can be difficult to notice that. If I remember correctly, it gives you 100.000 points

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Is anyone else sad that Admiral Akbar says "It's an ambush" instead of "It's a trap!" The DMD calls the checkpoint It's a trap!


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Zen could have gotten Sheldon Cooper to do the voice over.


  14. #14
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    Is anyone else sad that Admiral Akbar says "It's an ambush" instead of "It's a trap!" The DMD calls the checkpoint It's a trap!
    That's a funny/sad story. I obviously asked the "It's a trap!" line from LucasArts, but they wanted to change it, since it would have not been performed by Admiral Ackbar, I was planning a generic "announcer" actor to say it. I changed it, and eventually some way we got the changed line performed by Ackbar...It was a facepalm moment

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    That's a funny/sad story. I obviously asked the "It's a trap!" line from LucasArts, but they wanted to change it, since it would have not been performed by Admiral Ackbar, I was planning a generic "announcer" actor to say it. I changed it, and eventually some way we got the changed line performed by Ackbar...It was a facepalm moment
    So you got the actor who performed Ackbar but he used the changed dialogue instead his famous "It's a trap" line? Bad luck man. I mean that is his most famous line. I would have figured he would have chimed in at the change. Oh well.

  16. #16
    Junior Member Scubafinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Great table deep. I'm constantly amazed at the new features and variations that you guys bring to each new table.

    One question though, I get how the R2 D2 ball save is lit, then activated; but the magna-save and counter is a little confusing. I had the counter up to 5, the ball spilled, bounced around and failed to lit all the lights. I activated the magna-save which resulted in a few more bounces and the ball save lit. However the counter dropped from 5 to zero (received a 5M bonus). I thought that the count was how many magna-saves I had left (based on reading the guide). Can you confirm how this works?

    (This was on the Vita version, haven't tried on PS3 yet).

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    @ScubaFinch: The counter does indeed represent how many magna saves (R2 pullbacks?) you have accumulated by lighting the R2D2 via the left inlane/outlane rollovers. However, when successfully activate all the spot targets, each pullback you have remaining will give you a million points and the counter will reset to 0. You must relight R2D2 via the rollovers to reactivate R2 and collect more pullbacks.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    The right inlane hasn't a direct feed. I didn't want the players have active kickbacks all the time. You know, to get the things a less boring
    Ha... funny This is the first of the three new tables that I'm giving a go. It's also actually the first table that I am playing on my laptop and not on my Xbox (which I will only be able to do early in next year some time) and so far it's playing OK. The right outlane is definitely a spanner in the works with regards to my usual "safety first" approach but on the other hand the ball doesn't go that way too often if you control your shooting. Anyway... nice challenge so far getting used to the table and learning how to play on the laptop (nudging is a bit of a chore compared to the Xbox). The laptop is though much better than playing on a tablet for me because nudging is easy enough and you can save.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Youtube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I'm not sure I get this table. I'm a bit frustrated by it so there's a bit a rant coming. I really like the general table design and all the missions but I can't help but think that it is not designed well for a video game.

    What I mean by that is that there is a golden rule of video game design that games must reward good play and only punish bad play. In the case of the ROTJ table however, without the opportunity to combat the randomness with a ball save, kickbacks etc...it just turns into "well, lets see if I get lucky in this game". I guess whether or not you agree with my argument here depends on whether or not you agree with this golden rule. I for one think it's one of the few unbreakable laws of video games. Any time you punish a player when he hasn't made an error, you defile your game.

    I really enjoyed the ESB table (apart from all the bugs) because with enough accuracy, consistency and patience, you could gradually deveop the skill to keep getting better and better. Great design. For ROTJ though, you can practice all you like but the fact is that if the game decides to kill you, tough cookie, you're dead.

    I understand that this is pinball we're taking about here so the random factor will always be there....but surely a good table will give the player the tools required to fight that randomness with skill. Am I alone in thinking this?

    I've also been playing F1 2013 recently and it makes me consider what that game would be like if, during a race, there was a bomb planted in the car and on any given lap, there was a 60% chance that it might explode. An extreme example perhaps but if this example would clearly be a bad design decision, isn't that also the case on this table?

    Sadly I'm not inclined to go back to this table as I'm now a bit tired of just waiting to see whether or not I'll be lucky or not. That's not what video games are about imo. If I wanted that, I'd play a fruit machine or something.

    Or am I missing something here? I'm certainly open to persuassion as I'd really like to enjoy this. I don't mind admitting that my frustration comes largely from the fact that I'm unable to score well on the table. For three days I have practiced and got better and better and nailing each ramp and target...but alas....it makes no difference on ROTJ because at any given time there's an x% chance that the game will just arbitrarily kill you, sending the ball rocketing down the right outlane or SDTM in a flash. I don't seem to have any trouble racking up billions on other tables because, as much as pinball can be, they seem 'fair', i.e. I get killed when I screw up and get big scores when I don't....and the more I practice, the less I screw up.

    Sad face.

  20. #20
    Senior Member LeanderL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    290

    Default

    I disagree. Good players are good on this table, too. The slingshots are stronger than on other tables and losing the ball in the outlanes may seem random but nudging the table helps. As soon as the ball is bouncing around on the left or right side watch its movement carefully and nudge the table if needed. It is not random then but saving the ball relies on your nudging skills.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanderL View Post
    I disagree. Good players are good on this table, too. The slingshots are stronger than on other tables and losing the ball in the outlanes may seem random but nudging the table helps. As soon as the ball is bouncing around on the left or right side watch its movement carefully and nudge the table if needed. It is not random then but saving the ball relies on your nudging skills.
    Jip... this is my feelings as well with this table. It requires of you to be a whole lot more strategic with regards to your shot placement etc. and to start recognising what shots to avoid. Try Revenge of the Rob-o-bot for a table a table that punish you for slack play... doing well on that game is definately very rewarding.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Youtube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  22. #22
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanderL View Post
    I disagree. Good players are good on this table, too. The slingshots are stronger than on other tables and losing the ball in the outlanes may seem random but nudging the table helps. As soon as the ball is bouncing around on the left or right side watch its movement carefully and nudge the table if needed. It is not random then but saving the ball relies on your nudging skills.
    Indeed! Plus, it looks like the rubbers' elasticity has been increased as well. It makes it pretty easy to tell if the ball is going to go in the outlane or not and you can actually divert the ball with strong nudge.

    When the ball whizzes to an outlane on the other tables, it's not as easy to divert it compared to this table. I usually rely on the kickback or preform a bang back to save the ball.

    In short, you just need to change your strategy on this table compared to the norm.

  23. #23
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    I can honestly say I had the most trouble with the last part of the first scene where you have to hit the varitarget about 3 times and then rotate the spinner around 40 times. You have to hit that target a bunch of times fairly quickly because you only get a little extra time when starting the next part where you have to hit the spinner. And hitting the spinner can be tricky. It's best to aim at the center ramp that feeds the upper flipper because the upper flipper can give you another quick crack at hitting the spinner.
    I found a nice strategy for hitting the Vari-Target. Once you hit the target, don't press the right flipper button. Let ball roll back to you instead. It will always bounce off the lower right flipper and neatly return back to the left flipper for an easy cradle. I was able to hit the target 3 times in a matter of a few seconds with this trick. This gave me plenty of time to complete the spinner portion.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whispa View Post
    Or am I missing something here? I'm certainly open to persuassion as I'd really like to enjoy this. I don't mind admitting that my frustration comes largely from the fact that I'm unable to score well on the table. For three days I have practiced and got better and better and nailing each ramp and target...but alas....it makes no difference on ROTJ because at any given time there's an x% chance that the game will just arbitrarily kill you, sending the ball rocketing down the right outlane or SDTM in a flash. I don't seem to have any trouble racking up billions on other tables because, as much as pinball can be, they seem 'fair', i.e. I get killed when I screw up and get big scores when I don't....and the more I practice, the less I screw up.

    Sad face.
    Here is something to consider for a somewhat safe strategy. I haven't played much yet but so far it seems that it is quite a safe start to immediately go for the Jabba drop target on the left bottom as the ball always comes down through the in-lane towards activating your R2-D2 kickback/ball saver thingy. You can either bump the ball over to the right flipper or shoot it through the Dark side spinner (which actually comes quite naturally with the ball rolling down the left flipper) as the ball usually lands on the left flipper after the spinner and bounce to the right from where you can shoot at the Jabba target again. One of the Jabba rewards is the right kickback which is off course much appreciated and I'm quite sure that you can also use the R2-D2 magna-save to pull the ball to the left even if it comes down the right in-lane and you bump it (maybe somebody can confirm it EDIT: Well, maybe not). More advanced skill which I get right maybe once out of 20 is when the ball rolls down the left flipper shoot it really late and the ball will go through the right in-lane from the bottom... a bit too risky though for my liking and take too much effort. Anyway, I just do the Jaba thing for the first couple of minutes of each game and off course as soon as I use the R2-D2 save. Lets see, maybe after a couple of more plays I will not look at doing this at all.

    Just out of interest... the spinner sounds so familiar to me and I new I have heard it in a pinball game before but I could not think which Zen table it could be. Eventually it dawned on me that it is very similar to the spinner sound on the Pro-Pinball Fantastic Journey table.
    Last edited by Cloda; 10-20-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Youtube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    More advanced skill which I get right maybe once out of 20 is when the ball rolls down the left flipper shoot it really late and the ball will go through the right in-lane from the bottom... a bit too risky though for my liking and take too much effort.
    Ah, the alley pass. This would be a good table to practice the alley pass since the right habitrail feeds the inlane below the rollover. You really have to have balls of steel to pull it off. Shoot too early and it will hit the bottom of the sling for a likely STDM drain.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Two questions:

    1. Exactly how does the Left kickback work when activated? As in, is it completely random as far as R2D2 shooting the targets to make the ball save, or is it something you can control?

    2. Is the Sarlaac Pit this table's version of the Sabre Saver, and how is it activated/lit up?
    (ok, I guess that's 3 questions)



    As for difficulty, the one thing I can say is that you have to rely a lot on trusting the dead bounce to control the ball, or else you run into slingshot hell.
    Good example of this is shooting the mission hole. Had an occasion where it dropped, I tried to catch it with the left flipper, only for it to bounce up, BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM into the left outlane. WTF? I've learned to let it bounce to the right flipper.

    I'm inclined to say you mainly want to go for the multiballs on this table. Worth noting that the base EOB for each one is 1 million points, so activate a few and raise that multiplier and you're looking at a whole lot of points. Easier said than done, of course.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalEther View Post
    Two questions:

    1. Exactly how does the Left kickback work when activated? As in, is it completely random as far as R2D2 shooting the targets to make the ball save, or is it something you can control?

    2. Is the Sarlaac Pit this table's version of the Sabre Saver, and how is it activated/lit up?
    (ok, I guess that's 3 questions)
    The R2 kickback is random, hence why you get the pullbacks I guess. At a push I suppose you could try a nudge or two to help. Would be real hard to judge though.

    The one thing I really wish is that if you manage to pull off the bangback after activating the save with R2, that save should then be permanent, as a prize for pulling it off. Unfortunately though, it only lasts a few seconds. So if you ever activate the R2 save, there's no reason to do anything other than just let it drain.

    Deep answered your second question above. The Sarlacc Pit Bonus is awarded after the ball drains. There is no ball save on the table afaik.
    Last edited by Spirit X; 10-20-2013 at 09:45 PM.

  28. #28
    Junior Member Scubafinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    @ScubaFinch: The counter does indeed represent how many magna saves (R2 pullbacks?) you have accumulated by lighting the R2D2 via the left inlane/outlane rollovers. However, when successfully activate all the spot targets, each pullback you have remaining will give you a million points and the counter will reset to 0. You must relight R2D2 via the rollovers to reactivate R2 and collect more pullbacks.
    Thanks. After a couple more plays, that seemed to be the way things work. It's a really novel ball save!

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Thanks Spirit.
    Saw deep's answer above on second look.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

  30. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    The sarlacc pit is one of the ballout bonuses and you can raise it completing various modes.

    The right inlane hasn't a direct feed. I didn't want the players have active kickbacks all the time. You know, to get the things a less boring
    So the only way to activate the right kickback is getting very lucky?
    GC: psychosaiko

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    Ah, the alley pass. This would be a good table to practice the alley pass since the right habitrail feeds the inlane below the rollover. You really have to have balls of steel to pull it off. Shoot too early and it will hit the bottom of the sling for a likely STDM drain.
    This will do just fine for me thanks for the idea.
    GC: psychosaiko

  32. #32
    Senior Member skyway73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Suffolk, UK.
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Just wanted to add my views on this table after putting in some proper time playing it. Overall this is my favourite table out of them all and I'm including all Marvel and original tables. Zen really have just got better an better at perfecting all aspects of their releases, here's what I like, for what it's worth:

    • The challenge! I love the fact it's not all about activating kick-backs and ball-saves and you can feel some peril- much more like real pinball.
    • The lighting is right up my street, love when the table dims during certain missions etc. and those flashers under the slingshots really pop. Personally I like their increased strength too, again it feels more real to me.
    • The sound effects are great, those Ewoks make me smile. That being said it seems a shame to me that there isn't a more noticeable and cool sound when you hit the spinning disk when it has the four little poles up.
    • Love the R2D2 bumper save, a great feature that I'm sure wasn't borrowed from anywhere ..(cough.. Wizard of Oz)
    • Talking of R2D2, I think the projected hologram loop is superb! Not only does it look nice it is such fun and so satisfying when you complete some consecutive loops, nice reward too if you do.
    • The chance to restart a mission straight after failing, I think the timer is perfectly set on that and it gives you a decent chance but not a gimme.
    • Anyone else agree that the Speeder Bike mini game is the best of any table? It's a challenge without being a grind, looks cool and I really like the fact it shows your current record before each try starts.
    • Love locking the balls in the hole for multiball, looks ace when the ball drops down the playfield and is sucked back up, nice effect!
    • The Wizard mode is perfect too, the lighting is superb and I like that it's timed and the ending where you have to lock all four balls as quick as you can is a great idea.


    Those are the main bits I like anyway

    PS: that story about Admiral Ackbar was a bit sad but I think it has become a cool bit of trivia for us fans.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyway73 View Post
    Just wanted to add my views on this table after putting in some proper time playing it. Overall this is my favourite table out of them all and I'm including all Marvel and original tables. Zen really have just got better an better at perfecting all aspects of their releases, here's what I like, for what it's worth:

    • The challenge! I love the fact it's not all about activating kick-backs and ball-saves and you can feel some peril- much more like real pinball.
    • The lighting is right up my street, love when the table dims during certain missions etc. and those flashers under the slingshots really pop. Personally I like their increased strength too, again it feels more real to me.
    • The sound effects are great, those Ewoks make me smile. That being said it seems a shame to me that there isn't a more noticeable and cool sound when you hit the spinning disk when it has the four little poles up.
    • Love the R2D2 bumper save, a great feature that I'm sure wasn't borrowed from anywhere ..(cough.. Wizard of Oz)
    • Talking of R2D2, I think the projected hologram loop is superb! Not only does it look nice it is such fun and so satisfying when you complete some consecutive loops, nice reward too if you do.
    • The chance to restart a mission straight after failing, I think the timer is perfectly set on that and it gives you a decent chance but not a gimme.
    • Anyone else agree that the Speeder Bike mini game is the best of any table? It's a challenge without being a grind, looks cool and I really like the fact it shows your current record before each try starts.
    • Love locking the balls in the hole for multiball, looks ace when the ball drops down the playfield and is sucked back up, nice effect!
    • The Wizard mode is perfect too, the lighting is superb and I like that it's timed and the ending where you have to lock all four balls as quick as you can is a great idea.


    Those are the main bits I like anyway

    PS: that story about Admiral Ackbar was a bit sad but I think it has become a cool bit of trivia for us fans.
    Great Summary there.

    -Yes those active slings give you a sense of panic when they head over to the out-lanes. The right out-lane can be frustrating because the ball bounces a bit more than usual (which isn't bad).

    -Missions have a nice balance of variation. I like the Battle of Endor (Scence 4) which start with a multiball.
    -The hurry-ups are interesting and not as rampant as the Darth Vader table.
    -I love the Dark Side of the force mission/hurry-up whatever you call it. Shooting that spinner on the right side several times will activate it. If you have a mulitball going while you have it running, Try to get the balls around that magnetic disc. You will rack up some decent points as the scores ramp up.

    Overall I'm thoroughly enjoying this table a lot. Still like Starfighter Assault more for some reason.

    top SW tables
    Starfighter Assault
    ROTJ
    ESB
    Boba Fett
    Clone Wars
    Darth Vader

  34. #34
    Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    Anyone got a list of the Hurry Up Modes, would be grateful as I'm starting to write up the Guide.


    Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

    PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

  35. #35
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    Anyone got a list of the Hurry Up Modes, would be grateful as I'm starting to write up the Guide.
    I think I can help you

    Feed the Worrt
    Find Salacious Crumb
    Haggling with a Hutt
    Floating C-3PO
    Super Death Star

  36. #36
    Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    Thanks deep, hey if you have any tips and tricks would absolutely love to hear them.


    Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

    PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Hey STTC:

    There is also "Dark Side of the Force" started by repeated hits to the AT-ST spinner.

  38. #38
    Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    Thanks surf1der.


    Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

    PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

  39. #39
    ROD
    Guest

    Default

    I'm disappointed that the Death Star multiball glitched out on me. The ball went into the mission hole instead of the usual drop after failing to lock the 4th ball! That sucked!! The Death Star multiball was permanently unavailable for the rest of my game. I had my jackpot value at 75M & 3 balls left.


  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    The R2 pullback button pops up too late on iOS. The button usually pops up on screen when the ball is already in the center drain. This is too late to effectively use the pullback. I would preferably like to see it pop up with the first R2 bumper hit. Or alternatively have a permanent on screen button that doesn't obstruct normal flipper activations.

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Any advice on how to hit the Jabba target with any shred of consistency?

    95% of the time when I go for it, I:
    1. shoot it into the left orbit (which, outside of a mission, when it hits the bumpers, actually is better)
    2. it hits around the target but doesn't register, then goes flying off to a slingshot.
    3. bounces off the left slingshot

    I'd actually like to finish 1 mission before I quit this table, and since hitting it is required on Scenes 1 and 2......
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

  42. #42
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalEther View Post
    Any advice on how to hit the Jabba target with any shred of consistency?
    Which version of the game are you playing?

    I'm able to hit it pretty consistently on the PS3 version. A simple right flipper tip shot usually hits the target no problem.

  43. #43
    Senior Member s-carnegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Im on PS3 also and 9 /10 like shogun mentioned its an easy tip shot. I find it a tad easier to hit compared to the extra ball shot on the other side.

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Xbox
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

  45. #45
    Junior Member Ty-24-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Savannah GA.
    Posts
    24

    Default RotJ

    I need help with all of it

  46. #46
    Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ty-24- View Post
    I need help with all of it
    Il have a Guide available real soon for it mate.


    Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

    PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

  47. #47
    Senior Member Beliskner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    178

    Default

    I find the strength of the slingshots disturbing.
    Seriously they cause more side drains than any other table and it's driving me crazy. Getting a bang back on the right side is very doable and I get it fairly often but on the left side the damn bumper just shoots the ball into the drain every second time. Way too fast to salvage it. Every time a ball drains because of slingshots a newborn goldfish dies

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beliskner View Post
    Every time a ball drains because of slingshots a newborn goldfish dies
    LOL....

    I quit playing the table because I realized that everytime I did, I yelled at my kids. If they weren't around, I yelled at the dog.

    Started playing it again a few times again just to get the long overdue EOB guide out. I've figured out how to mostly avoid them [the slingshots], but I think they cripple the table.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    181

    Default EOB Bonus Guide

    Multipliers are raised by hitting the bumpers via the left orbit.

    Rebellion Bonus
    A default bonus that seems to increase the longer the ball is on the table. I'm going to guess this is like Empire where it maxes at 1 million.

    Dark Side Bonus (unknown trigger)
    10,000 points per occurance per ball

    Jabba Bonus
    5,000 points per Jabba Target hit per ball

    Ewok Bonus
    1,000 points per Ewok collected per game

    Movie Scene Bonus
    100,000 points per Scene started per ball

    Hurry up Bonus
    100,000 points per Hurry Up mode started per ball

    Multiball Bonus
    1,000,000 points per Multiball mode started per Ball

    Sarlaac Pit
    250,000 points per activation per ball

    Summary - Worth attempting to go for should you've started several multiballs.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beliskner View Post
    I find the strength of the slingshots disturbing.
    Seriously they cause more side drains than any other table and it's driving me crazy. Getting a bang back on the right side is very doable and I get it fairly often but on the left side the damn bumper just shoots the ball into the drain every second time. Way too fast to salvage it. Every time a ball drains because of slingshots a newborn goldfish dies
    I guess there is a small minority of us out there that like the RotJ slingshots. They are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing, at least on real machines. Slingshots are meant to slingshot the ball towards the sides of the table and make trapping more difficult. In other other words, slingshots are meant to be avoided or you risk draining the ball. This is one of the mechanics that makes real machines more difficult and I enjoy the challenge on the RotJ table. One of the most ridiculous things about ZP/FX can be the never-ending pong match between the two slingshots. It's not unusual to just sit there for 15-20 seconds while the ball gets rallied back and forth between the slingshots.

  51. #51
    Senior Member Beliskner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    I guess there is a small minority of us out there that like the RotJ slingshots. They are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing, at least on real machines. Slingshots are meant to slingshot the ball towards the sides of the table and make trapping more difficult. In other other words, slingshots are meant to be avoided or you risk draining the ball. This is one of the mechanics that makes real machines more difficult and I enjoy the challenge on the RotJ table. One of the most ridiculous things about ZP/FX can be the never-ending pong match between the two slingshots. It's not unusual to just sit there for 15-20 seconds while the ball gets rallied back and forth between the slingshots.
    I know that slingshots on real machines are very strong like the ones on RotJ however Zen Pinball is an arcade game and not a simulation so I'd like them to be a bit more loose. If I want strong slingshots and other stuff that keeps draining my balls every minute I play The Pinball Arcade

  52. #52
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    One of the most ridiculous things about ZP/FX can be the never-ending pong match between the two slingshots. It's not unusual to just sit there for 15-20 seconds while the ball gets rallied back and forth between the slingshots.
    And of course, it usually happens during a mission with a short timer.

  53. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I suppose I should edit my post to read that it cripples the pace of the table.
    Since you can't afford to take a risky shot, I attempt to trap the ball even more. I just have to rely on the dead bounce pass, or even more upward nudges (to which I pause for 10 seconds to reset the tilt counter).

    One of the most ridiculous things about ZP/FX can be the never-ending pong match between the two slingshots. It's not unusual to just sit there for 15-20 seconds while the ball gets rallied back and forth between the slingshots
    Yeah, I can't stand that, even on the safe slingshots.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

  54. #54
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    I personally have no issues with the slingshots on this table. All I had to do was re-adjust the way I handle it. Once, the ball bounces off the slingshot. I just look at the projection. If it looks like the ball is going into the outlane, then I do a hard nudge the opposite direction. This will almost always veer the ball into the inlane instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •