Thread: Slingshot and physics

Default Slingshot and physics

So the return of the jedi table physics are much different and much more life like than any other pb fx2 table so far. The ball seems to have more bounce off the flippers and other objects and the slingshots are strong and fast like real slingshots. It's a great change. Would it be too much to ask for some sort of per table setting or a global setting to allow similar behavior in all tables? I understand it makes the game harder, but part of the fun of pinball is getting the ball under control.

Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    So the return of the jedi table physics are much different and much more life like than any other pb fx2 table so far. The ball seems to have more bounce off the flippers and other objects and the slingshots are strong and fast like real slingshots. It's a great change. Would it be too much to ask for some sort of per table setting or a global setting to allow similar behavior in all tables? I understand it makes the game harder, but part of the fun of pinball is getting the ball under control.
    Well, this is only possible, if the table gets constructed accordingly from the beginning. So I only can promise that all my future tables will feature these more real slingshots, and I try to convince the other designers to do so

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    Well, this is only possible, if the table gets constructed accordingly from the beginning. So I only can promise that all my future tables will feature these more real slingshots, and I try to convince the other designers to do so
    Yes this is one of my fav tables now and i love how it plays which is good because the other 2 tables i felt lacked the pinball feel and kinda hard to shoot a gun and fly ships with a plunger and flipper buttons on my pincab... little 2 video gamey for me even for fx tables.. vader table was ok but im glad that the jedi table is worth $10 or I would have been let down.. Great job on jedi table layout, colors, and gameplay..

Lets hope future tables follow this..

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedWeapon View Post
    ...kinda hard to shoot a gun and fly ships with a plunger and flipper buttons on my pincab...
    I have my secondary flipper buttons mapped to "launch" as well as my launch button. Very helpful for the shoot-em-up modes as well as other things like magnasaves, the shooting gallery in Moon Knight, etc. Otherwise you can never move your hand from the flippers down to the launch button and back fast enough.

I forget exactly how I did this...I think I'm using xpadder to make the secondary flippers the up and down arrow keys (for the menus), then setting launch to be up/down in the game settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo5676 View Post
    I have my secondary flipper buttons mapped to "launch" as well as my launch button. Very helpful for the shoot-em-up modes as well as other things like magnasaves, the shooting gallery in Moon Knight, etc. Otherwise you can never move your hand from the flippers down to the launch button and back fast enough.

I forget exactly how I did this...I think I'm using xpadder to make the secondary flippers the up and down arrow keys (for the menus), then setting launch to be up/down in the game settings.
    But if you do that then how do you select the table? Start button? We really need settings for alternate buttons for these features that can also be launch button.

I also like the more active slingshots and would like to see a little more realism like this in future tables. I really like this table. The one thing I hate about this table is the Princess Leia voice over EVERY time you nudge the table. It drives me nuts. I refuse to nudge pass on this table.

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    That's awesome! Yes tell all your designer buddies to do this exact thing. Why don't you guys step it up a bit and spread out the flippers too? Also what would happen in your next iteration of Zen pinball/PBFX if you guys do the same to all the tables? That would be very interesting indeed.

As most say. I love the elasticity of the ROTJ table. It's really a great table. This and Starfighter Assault being my fav of the 3.

But if you do that then how do you select the table? Start button? We really need settings for alternate buttons for these features that can also be launch button.
    Well, I agree it'd be nice if it let you remap menu keys separately (I noticed The Pinball Arcade beta actually has this, though no portrait support yet).

Anyway, the way I'm doing it is like this:

• Left flipper button: left arrow
    • Right flipper button: right arrow
    • Left secondary flipper button: up arrow
    • Right secondary flipper button: down arrow
    • Start button: Enter key
    • "Coin add" button: Tab key
    • Launch Ball button: down arrow
    • Exit button: Esc

Then in the game, map flippers to left/right arrows and launch to down arrow.

This gives you all 4 directions, enter, back out and "change panel" for the menus. Works surprisingly well once you get used to it a little. When you're playing, you can start the game from attract mode with the Start button, launch the ball like it's a keyboard with the launch button and use the right secondary flipper button as your magnasave/X-wing laser/Hulk arena ramp drop/crossbow trigger/etc.

I also have some digital nudging and the plunger set up via x360ce, but it's not very reliable for me.

I also have some digital nudging and the plunger set up via x360ce, but it's not very reliable for me.
    If you're gonna use x360ce then why not set up analog nudging? An ultimarc uhid-a or a side winder freestyle decased work well for this.

If you're gonna use x360ce then why not set up analog nudging? An ultimarc uhid-a or a side winder freestyle decased work well for this.
    The problem I've been having is that the Nanotech digital plunger kit in my cab kind of jitters off of the center point all the time, with occasional bigger spikes. So right now I'm actually using xpadder to trigger keyboard nudges left/right/forward when it passes a certain threshold. It's not ideal. Even with the somewhat high threshold, I still get the occasional random nudge triggered as well.

I'm actually going to order the new VirtuaPin plunger kit, which doesn't have this problem. Then I'll try setting up analog nudging. I'm still wondering if it'll work correctly, though, if I have the nudging X/Y axes mapped to the Xbox 360 analog stick. It's not like I can tilt the cab all the way to one direction to trigger a strong nudge the way you do by maxing out the analog stick. I'm guessing even a hard nudge will only trigger like 10% on the axis. Hopefully there is like a "gain" setting to increase the strength of the input when I nudge.

The problem I've been having is that the Nanotech digital plunger kit in my cab kind of jitters off of the center point all the time, with occasional bigger spikes. So right now I'm actually using xpadder to trigger keyboard nudges left/right/forward when it passes a certain threshold. It's not ideal. Even with the somewhat high threshold, I still get the occasional random nudge triggered as well.

I'm actually going to order the new VirtuaPin plunger kit, which doesn't have this problem. Then I'll try setting up analog nudging. I'm still wondering if it'll work correctly, though, if I have the nudging X/Y axes mapped to the Xbox 360 analog stick. It's not like I can tilt the cab all the way to one direction to trigger a strong nudge the way you do by maxing out the analog stick. I'm guessing even a hard nudge will only trigger like 10% on the axis. Hopefully there is like a "gain" setting to increase the strength of the input when I nudge.
    The nanotech accelerometer is garbage. The sidewinder freestyle USB can be purchases for about $10. Once calibrated, it does a good job registering between light and heavy nudges.