Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Flipper Lag on new TV (NEED ADVICE)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    27

    Default Flipper Lag on new TV (NEED ADVICE)

    Long time pinball fx2 fan here with all of the tables and pretty good scores (compared to some at least); anyways I may have to hang up my pinball wizard suit for good even though I just bought the recent starwars pack (love all three machines by the way) due to purchasing a new TV which has flipper lag (no lag on my old tv) yet much better graphic and zero noticeable lag on all other machines. Ive tried googling this very problem and done the different suggestion like putting the TV in game mode and changing the xbox graphics to 720 and the lag still persists. If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears; aside from a fix I'm going to be done for good..... Please help!!!!!

  2. #2

    Default Flipper Lag

    I don't own a PS3. I use Steam version. Aside from the PS3 hardware, not all TV's are created equal. Which TV is it? What are the specs. I know from reading in forums that good fast screens have much less input lag. I use 120hz 3d vision display with no noticeable lag. But, this is different than a nomal TV. Being 3d vision tech, it accually does 120 fames per second. All TV's do 60. Internal processing at 120hz or 240hz is different. From what I have read it causes input lag hence the game mode which turns internal processing off on some TV's . This is what you want. Go read up on this. I am not an expert but I know this can be a significant problem on some lower end TV's.
    Last edited by nromo; 10-20-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: ambiguous info

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boxingandy View Post
    Long time pinball fx2 fan here with all of the tables and pretty good scores (compared to some at least); anyways I may have to hang up my pinball wizard suit for good even though I just bought the recent starwars pack (love all three machines by the way) due to purchasing a new TV which has flipper lag (no lag on my old tv) yet much better graphic and zero noticeable lag on all other machines. Ive tried googling this very problem and done the different suggestion like putting the TV in game mode and changing the xbox graphics to 720 and the lag still persists. If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears; aside from a fix I'm going to be done for good..... Please help!!!!!
    Thanks, I think you're right about the inferior tv part, also when I said no noticable lag on other machines I meant on other games, now I don't know if I should keep my 2005 model zero lag yet not so good graphics 55 inch TV (hd but 2005 hd) or should I keep the 2010 55 inch with pinball lag yet perfect 1080 graphics..... Decisions, decisions.

  4. #4
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Even though the TV is set to game mode. I would go into the video options in the TV and manually turn off any image/motion enhancers. Those enhancers only work on movies and TV shows (which are less than 30fps). Some TVs don't turn them off when you go into "game mode", instead they just optimize the settings on those enhancers.

    Another thing you can do is turn off the "arcade effects" in the game itself. That could also reduce some of the TV lag.

  5. #5

    Unhappy I know the feeling!

    Quote Originally Posted by boxingandy View Post
    Thanks, I think you're right about the inferior tv part, also when I said no noticable lag on other machines I meant on other games, now I don't know if I should keep my 2005 model zero lag yet not so good graphics 55 inch TV (hd but 2005 hd) or should I keep the 2010 55 inch with pinball lag yet perfect 1080 graphics..... Decisions, decisions.

    I'm reserching building a hyperpin cab. Talk about decisions! My head is spinning with all ther is to learn about this! I too am searching for the perfect screen and hardware. If only I had $5,000.00 to spare. I'm beginning to think there is no cheaper way and still get satisfactory results.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boxingandy View Post
    Thanks, I think you're right about the inferior tv part, also when I said no noticable lag on other machines I meant on other games, now I don't know if I should keep my 2005 model zero lag yet not so good graphics 55 inch TV (hd but 2005 hd) or should I keep the 2010 55 inch with pinball lag yet perfect 1080 graphics..... Decisions, decisions.
    Let me know if you still can't get the lag to go away - feel free to message me or email directly (support at zenstudios dot com).

  7. #7
    Senior Member Vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    557

    Default

    I had this problem on a Philips "Cineos" 32PFL9632d.

    Every time I pushed the flipper button, there was an very annoying lag of about half a second, it was just unplayable. The problem remained even though I had disabled Natural Motion and stuff like that, so I eventually gave up. The TV just displayed the frames too late.

    Second time, it was on a PC monitor ; but this time it was not the same issue : after a while I figured out that it wasn't a display problem, but rather a sound problem : the flipper was activating at the right time, but a tiny sound effect delay made you believe there was an input lag. That time, the problem was solved easily : instead of plugging my 360 to the PC, I plugged it directly to an amplificator (through a DAC in my case) and everything went just fine. So the delay was caused by Windows processing.

    Quote Originally Posted by boxingandy View Post
    Long time pinball fx2 fan here with all of the tables and pretty good scores (compared to some at least); anyways I may have to hang up my pinball wizard suit for good even though I just bought the recent starwars pack (love all three machines by the way) due to purchasing a new TV which has flipper lag (no lag on my old tv) yet much better graphic and zero noticeable lag on all other machines. Ive tried googling this very problem and done the different suggestion like putting the TV in game mode and changing the xbox graphics to 720 and the lag still persists. If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears; aside from a fix I'm going to be done for good..... Please help!!!!!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    he must have gotten it figured out because his score on Starfighter Assault just doubled.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth F3TT View Post
    he must have gotten it figured out because his score on Starfighter Assault just doubled.
    LOL, nope I couldn't figure it out..... I like this game so much I ended up taking the new TV back to the store and sticking with my old one regardless of the better graphics I just can't go without PBFX2, also the timing of the new tables that came out also swayed my decision. Thanks for the help though everyone, I may have to bring my XBOX with me to the store next time before purchasing a TV to ensure there's no lag....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boxingandy View Post
    LOL, nope I couldn't figure it out..... I like this game so much I ended up taking the new TV back to the store and sticking with my old one regardless of the better graphics I just can't go without PBFX2, also the timing of the new tables that came out also swayed my decision. Thanks for the help though everyone, I may have to bring my XBOX with me to the store next time before purchasing a TV to ensure there's no lag....
    I don't think you ever mentioned which brand or model you purchased. You might have gotten better feedback.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    156

    Default

    How to fix TV lag.

    1) set xbox360 to native resolution of the TV. NEVER CHANGE IT. The XBOX360 has a great hardware scaler that is 99% likely to be faster than the TVs. Most TVs are now 1080p. do NOT back off to 720p. instead set the xbox360 to 1080p, and let it upscale the game for you.
    2) turn on game mode on the tv.
    3) disable all tru vision/any post processing whatsoever on the TV. disable every single feature you can, except fr game mode.

    If that fails, replace the tv, it sucks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •