Thread: Portrait View Choices

Default Portrait View Choices

I posted this in another thread but I would like to get some other opinions just to see if others agree or maybe I am off base. I play the Steam version of both The Pinball Arcade and Zen on a small cabinet setup I built myself. Anyone who plays both of these games in portrait mode will see that the view choices for the two games are very different.

Even though Zen has more views to choose from, they are all almost direct overhead views where the ball and table elements render much smaller than the more zoomed in angled views on TPA. There are pros and cons to each philosophy but I much prefer the view choices on TPA. Their portrait views are very similar to their landscape views. This makes everything look more 3 dimensional and the ball and table elements appear larger. Zen's portrait views are all more top down and therefore look more 2 dimensional by comparison. Also, the ball is almost pea-sized on my display and everything looks smaller more zoomed out. This kind of ruins the illusion of playing real pinball for me. I prefer the more angled views where things look larger and more 3D. Unfortunately these choices are available in landscape but not in portrait.

I'm not saying Zen needs more view choices as they already have more than TPA. I'm just saying maybe replacing some of the odd ones in portrait (such as the scrolling and/or tilting views) with some that more resemble the angled ones found in landscape. I don't think anyone playing in portrait really needs to scroll their display but I may be wrong. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by priested; 12-24-2013 at 12:57 PM.

I like the views better on FX2 I just dont like all the auto zoom in on ball parts when im on my cab..

If you are talking about the "action" camera in TPA, I have that turned off. I don't like that either. It also takes me out of the experience of real pinball. With the action cam off, it doesn't auto zoom. You can turn scrolling off as well.

I wouldn't mind the FX2 views so much if they weren't so zoomed out. Everything is so small and 2D looking. I guess I just need a bigger display for the playfield...but that ain't happening any time soon . Best case would be to keep the current views and add some that are closer to the table like landscape provides. Or better yet, a user placed camera angle. I guess I can keep dreaming...

Portrait cam 1w is pretty good for me on my 37" cab screen. A touch too far zoomed in, but not bad short of not having a true cabinet mode where the image is skewed to "fit" the playfield monitor perfectly (the way the Pro Pinball Timeshock guys are planning).

A user-defined camera would be ideal for this type of game and would probably solve a lot of people's complaints. But right now I'd say the larger issues are the inability to move the DMD to a separate monitor (I'd think even multi-monitor landscape players would like this) and the forced camera zooming when not needed for plungers and many special events, mini-playfields, etc.

If you want some reading, cabinet options were discussed at length back in May when the game came out here: https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...s-for-cabinets