Thread: How to measure start time in BYM mode

Default How to measure start time in BYM mode

Gotta say, I'm loving the game and the music found within it. As a fan of rhythm games (primarily In the Groove and DDR) this game is right up my alley. That said, there's a ton of songs that I play on Stepmania/Dance Dance Revolution that I'd love to play on kickbeat since I already have the bpm rates. However, I have no idea how to measure the start time or variance and any attempts I've had so far with the official calculator have been so off sync and atrocious, that they're practically impossible to enjoy. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that when you tap the button along to the beat of the song, it auto calculates the start time based on the bpm and where in the song you placed those beats. Then it probably just counts backwards to find the start time. That's just a guess, though.

KickBeaten Down

The beat calculation tool should give both numbers. However, some fine-tuning is often necessary.

Here's the best way to go about doing that fine-tuning:
    1. Use the "Listen" function to hear the calculated beat superimposed on the track.
    2. Find a place in the song where the beats are close to matching up, early in the song is better
    3. As the song plays from that point, listen to whether the beats are getting off sync
    4. If the superimposed beat starts lagging behind the song's beat, then the BPM is too slow and should be increased
    5. If the superimposed beat starts jumping ahead of the song's beat, then the BPM is too fast and should be reduced.
    6. If the superimposed beat never matches up with the song's beat throughout the song, adjust the beat start forward or back until it matches in at least one place
    7. Repeat steps 3-6 until you've got the correct BPM and beat start.