Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goddimus
    • Feb 2014

Advertisement

I fully support companies having a monetization plan but I think the ads are a bit overboard. Normally I prefer to outright buy the game so as not to have to deal with ads but even when that isn't an option I am fine with ads within reason. So far I am seeing ads when I got to the castle builder, ads after every mission, ads at almost every screen save. This also wouldn't be so bad but I am also getting a lot of ads that are 30 seconds long videos. The extra use of bandwidth and the time I have to sit waiting before I can do anything else is a huge deterrent.

I know I can pay to get rid of ads but it's something I plan to wait until the game is fully released for. I think you might as well just charge for the game because these long wait times will either mean people pay to get rid of ads or people stop playing.
  • Immortal
    Developer
    • Nov 2009

Thanks for your feedback!

Ad frequency is something we will adjust during the beta. We would like to find a balance that works for us and our players as well.
    Tamas Balog
    Head of Studio
    ZEN Studios

Comment

• FiestaST
      • Feb 2014

I should probably put my flame jacket on for what i'm about to say but, here it is,

The ads are perfectly fine. The whole point of adverts in games is to generate revenue, either by clicking on the advert or buy purchasing the ad removal. I don't find them intrusive at all, a little tedious and the video ones are annoying, but if you really have a problem with them, fork over a couple of nuggets to remove them and reap the benefits of VIP. £3 is not alot at all, and this game is well worth that value.
      Henry Ford - "don't find fault, find remedy"

Comment

• JustPixels
        • Feb 2014

Didnt google forbid full screen advertisement like movies a while ago?

Comment

• goddimus
          • Feb 2014

FiestaST, I don't think there is a reason to put on the flame coat as you and I are on the same page. As I stated, I prefer to get rid of ads buy either buying the full version or paying to remove ads. My feedback isn't targeted at players like you and I. It's the casual player who won't even give the game a chance out of frustration. We know that a lot of Android users don't like to pay for any apps so ads are a way for stable income. The only way that income is generated is if people use the app to view the ads and generate revenue.

If the ads come too frequently and become a burden then the app gets uninstalled and the revenue for that user is lost.

Comment

• FiestaST
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by goddimus
            FiestaST, I don't think there is a reason to put on the flame coat as you and I are on the same page. As I stated, I prefer to get rid of ads buy either buying the full version or paying to remove ads. My feedback isn't targeted at players like you and I. It's the casual player who won't even give the game a chance out of frustration. We know that a lot of Android users don't like to pay for any apps so ads are a way for stable income. The only way that income is generated is if people use the app to view the ads and generate revenue.

If the ads come too frequently and become a burden then the app gets uninstalled and the revenue for that user is lost.
            Fair point, couldn't agree more.
            Henry Ford - "don't find fault, find remedy"

Comment

• Pinhead
              • Apr 2011

Today when I signed in for my daily reward was the first time I've experienced this full screen video advertising model in a mobile app. To be honest, if this wasn't Zen, a dev that I like and support, and if this wasn't CastleStorm, a game that I've already enjoyed on Xbox 360 & Steam, than I'd normally uninstall the app asap. Certain types of advertising simply rub me wrong and this is one. Since I didn't actually play after accepting my daily reward, I don't know how prevalent these ads actually are. Is it just the one time at startup or is it a constant deluge as goddimus's post suggests? I'd find the latter to be completely unacceptable.

Yeah, I also prefer pay for upgraded/full versions of any apps that I like, but if getting the experience with the trial or F2P version needed to make that evaluation is too much of a hassle, then I wouldn't even bother.

Comment

• Xizore
                • Feb 2014

Advertising left a negative impression with me.

Hello! Thanks for allowing me to Beta Test your fine game. I will attempt to stay on topic, but my first impression was feeling blown away by the amazing animation and voice acting. Wow!

With regards to advertising, I would agree with the original post that it was too much. I found the video ads to be annoying, however the (screen?) ads following the video were tolerable. After playing for about 10 minutes, I had to take a break because I was tired of seeing those video ads. In the current state, I would be inclined to uninstall this game without really getting to experience much of the interesting looking campaign.

Thank you.

Comment

• Diego
                  • Feb 2014

Ok... I must get a reward for telling this... No, just kidding... to be honest, the game doesnt show any ad for me, in any time. I consumed my data plans Mb, and im conected( when the data bug doesnt make crash the app) with the slow unlimited data.

Comment

• EvanTheGamer
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Immortal

Ad frequency is something we will adjust during the beta. We would like to find a balance that works for us and our players as well.
                    Originally posted by Immortal

Hello.

I just started playing CastleStorm yesterday, which I'm really finding quite enjoyable, not to mention the graphics are incredible and with the added cutscenes & really fun gameplay...top-notch work.

Now about the too many advertisements...seeing how it is a beta, there really shouldn't be any ads to begin with, or very small amount of ads, like maybe 1 every 2-3 missions. It's true that us Android users are getting a chance to play the beta free of charge, but still, it's a beta and you want our feedback so in order to give you our feedback on the game, advertisements shouldn't get in the way. That many advertisements are nothing more than a nuisance, and like the OP mentioned, it can make you not want to play the game. And I already love the game, but the ads...they gotta go, or just limit the frequency of the ads.

Just my two cents really.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Comment

• Diego
                      • Feb 2014

As you said, we are playing a beta, not a full game.
                      The must adjust lots of thing, and One of them is the ad frecuency as they said.

Comment

• EvanTheGamer
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Diego
                        As you said, we are playing a beta, not a full game.
                        The must adjust lots of thing, and One of them is the ad frecuency as they said.
                        Yeah, that's true, but even so, there really shouldn't be any advertisements or very limited advertisements in a beta so that we're able to better test out the game and submit feedback/bugs, etc.

Just saying is all. No excuse for that many advertisements in a beta.

Comment

• Immortal
                          Developer
                          • Nov 2009

We are testing the advertisement networks as well, it's part of what we need to try out during the beta. Ad frequency will be scaled down after the next update, thanks to your feedback!
                          Tamas Balog
                          Head of Studio
                          ZEN Studios

Comment

• Feke
                            • Feb 2014

When I was playing offline I didn't have any ads.. Just saying..

Comment

• kendow
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Feke
                              When I was playing offline I didn't have any ads.. Just saying..
                              That's cause it was offline...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...