Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Steam vs. Windows Store Versions, help me choose!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default Steam vs. Windows Store Versions, help me choose!

    I have been a longtime fan of these pinball tables and have a decent collection bought on my android phone. I just bought a new windows laptop and was happy to see FX2 available. However, I am having issues trying to choose if I want to start purchasing tables and whether go to with the Steam Version or the windows store version. Normally I would stay with Steam, as I have a large collection of other games on steam, but given that this laptop (lenovo yoga 2 pro) has a touch screen, and hybrid tablet mode, that would almost certainly be my preferred method to play the game. This laptop also runs natively at 3200x1800 resolution. With the Steam version I can change the resolution from within the game, if I wanted to do the same with the windows store, I would have to change the resolution of the laptop before and after the game, which I find annoying.

    Steam
    Pros - More options, resolution settings, better updates, plays through steam, which has all the rest of my games and can be used easily on my desktop as well.
    Cons - No auto landscape/portrait mode (and trackpad acts weird when rotated). No touch controls.

    Windows Store
    Pros - Auto rotation works perfectly, touch controls are great.
    Cons - No real settings to change. Game runs at native resolution and at 3200x1800 the game is slower than I would like.

    My preference would be to play on steam. Anyone know if there are any plans to implement or fix the cons I listed? Otherwise, I just am not sure, and until then I will continue playing the free table.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mashuto View Post
    I have been a longtime fan of these pinball tables and have a decent collection bought on my android phone. I just bought a new windows laptop and was happy to see FX2 available. However, I am having issues trying to choose if I want to start purchasing tables and whether go to with the Steam Version or the windows store version. Normally I would stay with Steam, as I have a large collection of other games on steam, but given that this laptop (lenovo yoga 2 pro) has a touch screen, and hybrid tablet mode, that would almost certainly be my preferred method to play the game. This laptop also runs natively at 3200x1800 resolution. With the Steam version I can change the resolution from within the game, if I wanted to do the same with the windows store, I would have to change the resolution of the laptop before and after the game, which I find annoying.

    Steam
    Pros - More options, resolution settings, better updates, plays through steam, which has all the rest of my games and can be used easily on my desktop as well.
    Cons - No auto landscape/portrait mode (and trackpad acts weird when rotated). No touch controls.

    Windows Store
    Pros - Auto rotation works perfectly, touch controls are great.
    Cons - No real settings to change. Game runs at native resolution and at 3200x1800 the game is slower than I would like.

    My preference would be to play on steam. Anyone know if there are any plans to implement or fix the cons I listed? Otherwise, I just am not sure, and until then I will continue playing the free table.
    I would go with the Steam version - we've had a few people have issues with purchasing tables on Win8, and we aren't able to update it as much as the Steam version.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    I would go with the Steam version - we've had a few people have issues with purchasing tables on Win8, and we aren't able to update it as much as the Steam version.
    Any word on whether there are plans to add the touch controls to the steam version? It's a little bit of a sticking point for me. I do appreciate the response though!

    I am still a bit hesitant but if I knew touch controls were coming, and maybe better support for rotated screens in the steam version, I would purchase some tables right now.
    Last edited by mashuto; 02-27-2014 at 03:05 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Roo5676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    I haven't used it, but my understanding was that the Windows 8 version was really more intended for tablets. I believe it may even have lower quality assets. I think the Steam version is more popular and better supported with more tables (again mostly based on hearsay).

    If you have a high powered laptop (sounds like it with that resolution), I'd go Steam. I don't get why you'd want touch controls if you didn't have to use them for pinball.

    Although are you saying you are playing portrait on the laptop by turning it sideways? I don't think Zen is going to be able to do much for you there in terms of changing the trackpad input or something...not really an intended use case of the device. Their portait mode is meant for rotatable desktop monitors (and pincabs ).

    By the way there is an option in the Steam version to rotate it without messing with Windows settings.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mashuto View Post
    Any word on whether there are plans to add the touch controls to the steam version? It's a little bit of a sticking point for me. I do appreciate the response though!

    I am still a bit hesitant but if I knew touch controls were coming, and maybe better support for rotated screens in the steam version, I would purchase some tables right now.
    Not sure that we will - but I will find out for ya.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    Not sure that we will - but I will find out for ya.
    Gotcha, Well I certainly appreciate you taking the time to find out!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mashuto View Post
    Gotcha, Well I certainly appreciate you taking the time to find out!
    No problem! We'll be looking into adding touch screen controls, so this is a possibility. I'll post when I have firm details for you

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    No problem! We'll be looking into adding touch screen controls, so this is a possibility. I'll post when I have firm details for you
    I recently purchased a dell venue 8 pro, and would love to not have to rebuy all my tables ( yet again, after rebuying them in the steam version after originally buying them on the xbox 360) in the win 8 version. Touch screen controls on the steam version would be highly appreciated. I'd offer to name my first-born "Zenstudios". She's due at the end of September, so if y'all hurry up and get this implemented, it might help with the name choosing.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    No problem! We'll be looking into adding touch screen controls, so this is a possibility. I'll post when I have firm details for you
    Not sure when you guys added it, but the touchscreen controls are working great! Thanks so much!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •