Thread: Cabinet modes/DMD options?

Default Cabinet modes/DMD options?

Hi.
    Can someone please give us an accurate timeframe as to when we will actually see cabinet options? Especially the ability to move the dmd to a third screen/real dmd.
    Thanks
    Junky

Quote Originally Posted by Imagamejunky View Post
    Hi.
    Can someone please give us an accurate timeframe as to when we will actually see cabinet options? Especially the ability to move the dmd to a third screen/real dmd.
    Thanks
    Junky
    No idea, sorry :/

HUGE bummer

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    No idea, sorry :/
    Well...could you try to find out something for us please?

Quote Originally Posted by priested View Post
    Well...could you try to find out something for us please?
    Yep - will post when I have an answer for ya

Its on the list but sorry not a priority atm... Try back next year.. lol

and hope that a certain other pinball game for the real enthusiasts materialises in the meantime.

Default Our cabinets are crying out for a moveable DMD

Last edited by insx; 03-17-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Hell, yours too?

And it's not only the whining. The ranting is worse. A lot worse.
    I'm starting to believe my cab is training toward some best mother-in-law from hell contest. So yeah, guess who gets all the blame?

Standard size cabinet. It is really hard to ignore.

Please, Zen, make it shut up. Help an poor guy out

well I have asked and pleaded many times... All I get is its on the list but not a priority atm..
    I pretty much gave up on them 3 tables releases ago... there will always be something more important to work on..

lol, cheddar and sigh, loaded.

Lightbulb

I second that!
    With this fantastic Pinball FX2 game (together with The Pinball Arcade) I recently abandoned Virtual Pinball and Future Pinball completely from my pinball cabinet. Pinball FX2 is so much more fun playing and all this community integration with highscores etc rock the house. Love it!

Currently I'm using the workaround from vpforum.org user BigBoss (http://bit.ly/1p3FAzL) to show table backglass images while playing Pinball FX2. Works quite okay but is just a workaround. Maybe you nice coding masters at ZEN could provide a better solution? Or just a little help to archive this on our own? Maybe writing a logfile, what acutually happens in the game, so we can read it and build something around?

The major improvement would be a movable DMD with support for a second monitor, as already mentioned here several times. Hope this will come some day in the future. This would really be awesome!.

Anyway, Pinball FX2 already rocks on cabinets. If you put a little more magic on backglass support and the DMD and a whole hardcore pinball sub-community of cabinet enthusiasts will love you even more. Many will be happily spending money to have all of your tables in their lists. Mostly, money is not the main concern for us cab owners.

Greetings from germany,
    Duglim
    Last edited by Duglim; 03-17-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Yeah, they've done a great job supporting the Steam platform and porting all the tables over (finally got Plants Vs. Zombies ), but I really didn't think it would take this long to get a moveable DMD added. Even ignoring the rest of the cabinet requests, just having that would help a lot. I bet a lot of multi-monitor desktop users would make use of it as well.

+1

Gesendet von meinem Q10 mit Tapatalk

Can't wait for pro pinball timeshock to finally deliver some "how it's meant to be played" experience. ZEN could have been great, but the just don't care about a realistic pinball experience
    Last edited by mpad; 03-22-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpad View Post
    Can't wait for pro pinball timeshock to finally deliver some "how it's meant to be played" experience. ZEN could have been great, but the just don't care about a realistic pinball experience
    It's not that they "don't care". They are trying to keep the lights on and that's only done with releasing new content (new tables). That will always be their priority one. Everything else is on a huge "to do" list and they noted that cabinet support was on it.

When will they get to it? Who knows, but with all of the chatter of Pinball FX 3 on these forums lately. I wouldn't be too surprised if they focus heavily on cabinet support with it. It's much easier to add features on a newly developed game than adding features (via patch) on an existing game.

Why would they develop and release a new game? The game itself is state of the art. And business wise it's all DLC buy in anyway. I think they are busy with ps4 xbone support of fx2.

But actually I don't care what version number they give it as long as they support cab.

Why would they develop and release a new game? The game itself is state of the art. And business wise it's all DLC buy in anyway. I think they are busy with ps4 xbone support of fx2.
    Because Zen confirmed it a while ago on these very forums (for over a year now), that they are working on Pinball FX 3 for the Xbox 360. It's not so far fetched to see the game being ported over to the Xbox One and Steam.

Although, Pinball FX 2 is "state of the art". There's always room for improvement.
    Last edited by shogun00; 03-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.

+1

Gesendet von meinem Q10 mit Tapatalk
    me too.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by moewe View Post
    me too.
    +1
    +1

+1

+1

This isn't even a cabinet feature. It affects all users. Each table should allow your to place the DMD in the exact location of your choosing. The way it is now, it isn't even just a nice to have feature, the DMD hinders gameplay by blocking parts of the table.

So the DMD position option needs a "free move" setting where it can be dragged to any position across the available monitors.

Could Zen comment on the difficulty of doing this?

Yep - will post when I have an answer for ya
    Well, it's been about a month. Have you found out anything yet??

Barbie, it would really help if you could provide us with a qualified answer that doesn't involve something like "soon" or "maybe" or "when it's done" or "I ask the janitor if he knows something".

Just tell us how realistic it is to see any improvements for cabinets happen and when. It doesn't matter if it takes another year or the next fx3 version. It would be just interesting to know if you are working on it at all. No need to be all secretive about it...

Barbie, it would really help if you could provide us with a qualified answer that doesn't involve something like "soon" or "maybe" or "when it's done" or "I ask the janitor if he knows something".

Just tell us how realistic it is to see any improvements for cabinets happen and when. It doesn't matter if it takes another year or the next fx3 version. It would be just interesting to know if you are working on it at all. No need to be all secretive about it...

We've added these features in an update today!

-DMD can be placed onto a separate screen and positioned/scaled as needed via config files
    -Touch screen controls

sounds really great!

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out, how to move the DMD. Tried it in the settings, in the game, in table menu. How to move it?

You said "-DMD can be placed onto a separate screen and positioned/scaled as needed via config files"
    How to find/create this files? Thx for your help.

Greetings, Duglim
    Last edited by Duglim; 03-28-2014 at 08:19 PM.

This sounds promising. I can't check it out right now but fingers crossed!

I can't figure out the DMD positioning either. Do you have an sample config file?

And thank you very much for adding the feature!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cheddar View Post
    I can't figure out the DMD positioning either. Do you have an sample config file?

And thank you very much for adding the feature!
    I haven't fiddled with the DMD stuff yet but I will check and see how it works when I get a moment

I haven't fiddled with the DMD stuff yet but I will check and see how it works when I get a moment
    Shakenbake posted instructions on VPF!
    http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?sh...22#entry260288

Sweet! Can't wait to try this out!

Awesome! Really nice.
    I am not able to use it for my real dmd, but it is very nice to see anything towards cabinet support going on. Say big thanks to the team.
    Now go fo better camera angles for portrait view and the all demanding cab community will probably shut up for a while

Excellent, thanks!

This feature is AWESOME! And four new Star Wars tables coming soon? Squeeee!

Thanks Barbie and FX2 team for giving us the ability to move the dmd. It is SO MUCH BETTER!! Thank you Thank you!

I wanted to post a couple of issues. I already posted this on another thread but I wanted to post it here too.

Since this update and since moving my dmd to the backglass on my cab I have seen a few issues..

1- I see a large picture of black and white checkmark in a box that appears in the middle of the playfield on the right side sometimes. It has appeared on each table that I have played since the update. It appears to be random. Strange

2- I have had 2 FX2 program crashes while in the middle of a multiplayer game. The error just says that fx2 has stopped working. For me I have not seen this during a one player game

3- The colored triangles are missing that used to sit on top of the virtual dmd during a multiplayer game. I liked these because we could see who was winning Is there a way to add them to the new virtual dmd?

Thanks
    Junky

1- I see a large picture of black and white checkmark in a box that appears in the middle of the playfield on the right side sometimes. It has appeared on each table that I have played since the update. It appears to be random. Strange
    I've notice this too. Not a big deal, but odd.

I think this indicates that you can use the plunger key to make something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cheddar View Post
    I think this indicates that you can use the plunger key to make something happen.
    Thanks Cheddar. I didn't realize. Is this brand new? I've never noticed this prior to moving the dmd to another screen today. This check mark isn't visible longer than 1 second so if that's the purpose then you really don't have much time. Can someone from zen comment?

Junky

Thanks Cheddar. I didn't realize. Is this brand new? I've never noticed this prior to moving the dmd to another screen today. This check mark isn't visible longer than 1 second so if that's the purpose then you really don't have much time. Can someone from zen comment?

Junky
    Those check marks are for the touchscreen device owners, who haven't got physical buttons. These appear when an interaction is available.

Default Priorities now

Now that we have the moveable DMD, what would everyone say are the priorities? Perhaps we could stick to 3?

Mine:

1. Better cabinet view
    2. Backglass display
    3. Analogue nudge (with any game controller)

Backglass Display. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by insx View Post
    Now that we have the moveable DMD, what would everyone say are the priorities? Perhaps we could stick to 3?

Mine:

1. Better cabinet view
    2. Backglass display
    3. Analogue nudge (with any game controller)
    1. Better cabinet view
    2. Real DMD with pindmd2 - should be a piece of cake now.
    3. Better controller options (universal support)
    (4. Backglass)

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    Those check marks are for the touchscreen device owners, who haven't got physical buttons. These appear when an interaction is available.
    Thanks for clarifying. Can this be turned off for us non touchscreen people?

1. Better cabinet view
    (4. Backglass)
    This exactly. #1 including fewer forced plunger and event cameras when they are not needed.

Thanks for clarifying. Can this be turned off for us non touchscreen people?
    Make sure "Settings > Video > Touch/Mouse on-screen Controls" are turned off. I'm not certain it will turn everything off, but it will help

1. Better cabinet view
    (4. Backglass)
    Back glass will be easy if we can get zen to make a very simple code change and add the title of the current table into the DMD window title.

I dont consider better control options needed since x360ce handles this perfectly and anyone that can set up a cabinet should have no problems setting that up.

If real dmd doesn't show up as a second monitor in windows, I would expect it to never be supported. Nor do I think zen should waste time focusing on it. You guys that installed these were sort of silly in my opinion. Even real pinball companies are moving away from them and people with real pinballs are modding their games to use LCD for color flexibility. Adding a real DMD into a cabinet build limits your flexibility and the hammering all the game makers to support your limited build gets tiring.
    Dump your real DMD. Its lame

And why pretend and use a cabinet anyway? Lame. Lets dump it and hope we get propper VR support for oculus rift soon. This is the future
    As pinball itself is a pure nostalgia thing I really like the look of the real DMD and would gladly sacrifice color flexibility for it. Zen could have made little 3D movies directed by michael bay for their animation, but they chose the reduced retro pixel DMD style instead. So I still hope for some pinball love going into a few lines of code to support the real DMD.
    Otherwise there's VP / FP, TPA (sort of confirmed) and ProPinball (seen the vid) who support it. Fx2 is for the fun in between serious pinball anyway.
    Last edited by mpad; 04-09-2014 at 12:49 AM.

As pinball itself is a pure nostalgia thing
    This isn't true at all. Pinballs are being made and released by modern companies this year. I have 40 real machines and never liked pinball when I was a kid. It's definitely not a nostalgia thing.

And why pretend and use a cabinet anyway? Lame. Lets dump it and hope we get propper VR support for oculus rift soon. This is the future
    As pinball itself is a pure nostalgia thing I really like the look of the real DMD and would gladly sacrifice color flexibility for it. Zen could have made little 3D movies directed by michael bay for their animation, but they chose the reduced retro pixel DMD style instead. So I still hope for some pinball love going into a few lines of code to support the real DMD.
    Otherwise there's VP / FP, TPA (sort of confirmed) and ProPinball (seen the vid) who support it. Fx2 is for the fun in between serious pinball anyway.
    Oculus will only help with the visual representation of 3D space. If you are looking for the actual feel of playing a pinball machine you will still need to have a tactile device to interact with... hence the cabinet.

It is pretty cool they went with DMD type scoring. I would think if the current real pinball manufacturers want to make pinball NOT a nostalgia thing, they may need to move to the blockbuster movie blackglasses and ditch the dmd. They moved from mechanical reels to LCD's to DMD's. Maybe it's time to move on to full video displays.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Croftanator View Post
    Make sure "Settings > Video > Touch/Mouse on-screen Controls" are turned off. I'm not certain it will turn everything off, but it will help
    Thanks.
    I just checked tonight. The touch/mouse on screen controls were already set to "OFF".

Will Zen release an update for us non touchscreen users please?

Junky

Thanks.
    I just checked tonight. The touch/mouse on screen controls were already set to "OFF".

Will Zen release an update for us non touchscreen users please?

Junky
    Well my HDD is dead at the moment so I haven't played lately, but this sounds like a similar issue to the giant pause button that was stuck on the screen when the game first launched. Hopefully they can change/fix it so these other touchscreen controls respond to that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderpoint View Post
    Oculus will only help with the visual representation of 3D space. If you are looking for the actual feel of playing a pinball machine you will still need to have a tactile device to interact with... hence the cabinet.
    I haven't used one, but my impression is the Oculus Rift will have the same problem that normal widescreen 1080p monitors have with pinball -- pinball tables don't fit well. You end up with the table in the middle of the screen with large gaps on both sides, so you are really only using about 50% of the available space and resolution if you want to see the whole table. Now many of the camera angles try to make up for this by zooming in and then scrolling/panning/tilting, etc. That way you can see more detail, but you can't see everything at once and I, for one, find most of the camera movement annoying.

The glory of portrait mode (and by extension cabinets) is that the pinball table fits the screen nearly perfectly. You can see the whole table at one, in great detail and without any camera movement.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderpoint View Post
    It is pretty cool they went with DMD type scoring. I would think if the current real pinball manufacturers want to make pinball NOT a nostalgia thing, they may need to move to the blockbuster movie blackglasses and ditch the dmd. They moved from mechanical reels to LCD's to DMD's. Maybe it's time to move on to full video displays.
    You are referring to this, even if you don't know it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKiPJI_BHOw

I don't think DMDs are purely about nostalgia, though. Up until very recently, Stern was the only commercial pinball manufacturer. They have been criticized here and there for being "cheap" and not innovating enough, but I don't think they were exactly making out like bandits in what was an industry that shrunk heavily from what it was in the mid-'90s. They kept pinball alive, though, and now it's experiencing a resurgence.

So they've been using DMDs since the early '90s. I suspect there are a few reasons.

1) Innovating on something better would be expensive, both in hardware and artwork. Pinball machines are already very expensive and something like 70% of Stern's US sales are to home collectors who aren't going to be making money back by people paying to play.

2) A DMD is "good enough". It has the ability to display reasonable animations and directions to make the game fun and playable.

3) It's tradition at this point. I think there are a fair number of crotchety "old" pinball guys who complain about any change. They complained about Pinball 2000 (see Revenge From Mars) and I've heard some people complain that they hate the LCD in Jersey Jack Pinball's The Wizard of Oz. I don't really get that, as I think it's really cool and serves the exact same purpose the DMD serves, only better. It's not interfering with the main game on the table and you don't even have to look at it if you don't want to.

So speaking of Jersey Jack Pinball, they are the ones truly innovating right now. The LCD backglass, full color LEDs instead of light bulbs, more powerful sound system, multiple mechanised toys, etc. It will be interesting to see if Stern ups their game due to this competition.

Back to Zen -- when they started, DMD was the only thing around and had been the standard for a long time (and arguably still is except for WOZ). Not to mention, a DMD fits (reasonably) well on a standard TV/monitor along with the main table in the game. You'd pretty much need two monitors otherwise if you wanted some sort of larger, video-based display instead. Not an option on most of their platforms, especially the ones they started on like Xbox 360.

There is a good pinball documentary called Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball about the design and introduction of the Pinball 2000 games I mentioned. One of the things they mention in there is how the introduction of the DMD made every other alphanumeric table instantly look "old". I could see a parallel with the DMD and LCD, but then again the industry is much different today. Stern is certainly still doing well and recent DMD titles like AC/DC, Metallica and Star Trek have been very popular (though Star Trek is their first game with RGB LED lighting similar to WOZ).

...Anyway, since Zen uses DMD-style displays, I'd love to display it on the real DMD in my cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo5676 View Post
    You are referring to this, even if you don't know it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKiPJI_BHOw
    You are correct... I didn't know about that. Pretty slick!

-Mike

We've added these features in an update today!

-DMD can be placed onto a separate screen and positioned/scaled as needed via config files
    -Touch screen controls
    How do we move the DMD then? I've been searching and cannot find any info and there's nothing in the game install folder... I can only find one reference to this and it seems that yeah, you make a config file, but.... no instructions or examples or anything

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle911 View Post
    How do we move the DMD then? I've been searching and cannot find any info and there's nothing in the game install folder... I can only find one reference to this and it seems that yeah, you make a config file, but.... no instructions or examples or anything
    https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...w-to-set-it-up!!

wow!

Thanks Roo!

Thanks Zen!

Hello ZEN,
    For real DMD support (very easy):
    http://xdmd.info/

Do you know of this? Barbie could you forward this to the devs?

I'm sure Tom (the author) is gentle about licensing.
    Would be great to see some real DMD output in time.

Do you know of this? Barbie could you forward this to the devs?

Sure thing!

Hi.
    Any news about a backglass support?
    Or an "official" option to move the DMD without handling in a config file?
    Just some user friendly stuff...

Default Real DMD

I think I have an idea why Zen is so hesitant with real DMD support for pinDMD2.

OK, it is a total niche, no money for work, only happy fans - but it is very easy to do (technically). Lot of third party support available (see XDMD above).

OK, they can not keep (force) the color style of the dmd. but my god let the user decide. do they allow that I change the color setting on my TV?

Real problem is that the current DMD output is not a real dot matrix animation wit 128x32 dots, but basicly a video / animation with some sort of dot/grid effect overlay. the dots or holes or meshes even change size. if you capture this to video and output it to the real DMD it just looks like crap.
    That means to propperly support it Zen would have to redo all the DMD animations in native dmd-style, which is a LOT of (unpaid) work.

But there maybe a solution! the pinDMD automatically converts real videos to dots, but only has problems when there are already dots/grids in the source material. so if Zen could provide their DMD animations without the dot/grid effect, the result could be just perfect.
    that is a small glimpse of hope, maybe someone at Zen gives it a try... (dear santa...)

Anyway, more likely I will have to live without real DMD for fx2, which may finally be a good reason to get a backglass display to put the DMD there... thanks again to ZEN for making this possible.
    Last edited by mpad; 12-23-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Longi_land View Post
    Hi.
    Any news about a backglass support?
    Or an "official" option to move the DMD without handling in a config file?
    Just some user friendly stuff...
    I would REALLY like to see backglass support soon. Any idea when this might happen? I have been waiting to purchase more tables until they will work with backglass support in my cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicgoblin View Post
    I would REALLY like to see backglass support soon. Any idea when this might happen? I have been waiting to purchase more tables until they will work with backglass support in my cabinet.
    No ETA but eventually we'll dive back into cab features

Default Real DMD is stupid!

I don't know what it is with you guys. I own two real pinball machines and fail to see what all this hype about real DMD is about? Everyone who owns real machines want color DMD (which is LCD) and Jersey Jack has gone full 21st century and is using a 24" LCD with all custom animations in full color high res video and computer animation.This is the future and what the younger generation expects. All this nostalgia is ridiculous! This is obsolete technology, expensive and complicates everything. If you were smart, you would buy one large display and turn it sideways and use it for both backglass and DMD. I hope nobody supports real DMD so people will move forward. This just goes to prove how power of suggestion rules.

Default Animated backglass support!!

Backglass support would be awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by nromo View Post
    I don't know what it is with you guys. I own two real pinball machines and fail to see what all this hype about real DMD is about? Everyone who owns real machines want color DMD (which is LCD) and Jersey Jack has gone full 21st century and is using a 24" LCD with all custom animations in full color high res video and computer animation.This is the future and what the younger generation expects. All this nostalgia is ridiculous! This is obsolete technology, expensive and complicates everything. If you were smart, you would buy one large display and turn it sideways and use it for both backglass and DMD. I hope nobody supports real DMD so people will move forward. This just goes to prove how power of suggestion rules.
    Color DMD is very cool, but... you don't speak to everyone. I have lots of friends who own real pinball machines, I own 3 of them, 2 of these are Stern Tron Legacy and Stern Star Trek and IMHO just about everyone who's tried my pincab all say "WOW, that real DMD is fantastic!". I've see one colorDMD game and IMHO it looked great but didn't have the brightness of a real DMD either, so its not a perfect solution as is. Whatever the case, you aren't really speaking for all of us, lots of us love our realDMD support

Now, I'm not against what you are saying, especially in Zen's case since they are making originals, they should embrace the freedom of their platform and go all Backglass gonzo but the issue is most of their clients use a single screen device to play their games so because of this, gameplay wise they are bound to keep vids/scoring to a DMD style area (not sure why they don't go for color, no reason not too). I guess in a way they are embracing their unique platform, their QTE portions of gameplay could be displayed on the backglass area but whatever, I think the limitation of single screen is shackling them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nromo View Post
    what do you have against the concept of freedom of taste?

zens taste obvioulsy seems to go for the good old nostalgic looks. haven't seen a single multi-color dmd in their otherwise super futuristic tables.