X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BarbieBobomb
    Pinball Wizard
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mpad

Do you know of this? Barbie could you forward this to the devs?

Sure thing!

Comment

• Longi_land
      • Apr 2010

Hi.
      Any news about a backglass support?
      Or an "official" option to move the DMD without handling in a config file?
      Just some user friendly stuff...

Comment

• mpad
        • May 2013

Real DMD

I think I have an idea why Zen is so hesitant with real DMD support for pinDMD2.

OK, it is a total niche, no money for work, only happy fans - but it is very easy to do (technically). Lot of third party support available (see XDMD above).

OK, they can not keep (force) the color style of the dmd. but my god let the user decide. do they allow that I change the color setting on my TV?

Real problem is that the current DMD output is not a real dot matrix animation wit 128x32 dots, but basicly a video / animation with some sort of dot/grid effect overlay. the dots or holes or meshes even change size. if you capture this to video and output it to the real DMD it just looks like crap.
        That means to propperly support it Zen would have to redo all the DMD animations in native dmd-style, which is a LOT of (unpaid) work.

But there maybe a solution! the pinDMD automatically converts real videos to dots, but only has problems when there are already dots/grids in the source material. so if Zen could provide their DMD animations without the dot/grid effect, the result could be just perfect.
        that is a small glimpse of hope, maybe someone at Zen gives it a try... (dear santa...)

Anyway, more likely I will have to live without real DMD for fx2, which may finally be a good reason to get a backglass display to put the DMD there... thanks again to ZEN for making this possible.
        Last edited by mpad; 12-23-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Toxicgoblin
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Longi_land
          Hi.
          Any news about a backglass support?
          Or an "official" option to move the DMD without handling in a config file?
          Just some user friendly stuff...
          I would REALLY like to see backglass support soon. Any idea when this might happen? I have been waiting to purchase more tables until they will work with backglass support in my cabinet.
          3/4 Size Virtual Pinball (27"/19"/10") Double Build

Comment

• BarbieBobomb
            Pinball Wizard
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Toxicgoblin
            I would REALLY like to see backglass support soon. Any idea when this might happen? I have been waiting to purchase more tables until they will work with backglass support in my cabinet.
            No ETA but eventually we'll dive back into cab features

Comment

• nromo
              Pinhead
              • Sep 2013

Real DMD is stupid!

I don't know what it is with you guys. I own two real pinball machines and fail to see what all this hype about real DMD is about? Everyone who owns real machines want color DMD (which is LCD) and Jersey Jack has gone full 21st century and is using a 24" LCD with all custom animations in full color high res video and computer animation.This is the future and what the younger generation expects. All this nostalgia is ridiculous! This is obsolete technology, expensive and complicates everything. If you were smart, you would buy one large display and turn it sideways and use it for both backglass and DMD. I hope nobody supports real DMD so people will move forward. This just goes to prove how power of suggestion rules.

Comment

• nromo
                Pinhead
                • Sep 2013

Animated backglass support!!

Backglass support would be awesome!!

Comment

• The Loafer
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by nromo
                  I don't know what it is with you guys. I own two real pinball machines and fail to see what all this hype about real DMD is about? Everyone who owns real machines want color DMD (which is LCD) and Jersey Jack has gone full 21st century and is using a 24" LCD with all custom animations in full color high res video and computer animation.This is the future and what the younger generation expects. All this nostalgia is ridiculous! This is obsolete technology, expensive and complicates everything. If you were smart, you would buy one large display and turn it sideways and use it for both backglass and DMD. I hope nobody supports real DMD so people will move forward. This just goes to prove how power of suggestion rules.
                  Color DMD is very cool, but... you don't speak to everyone. I have lots of friends who own real pinball machines, I own 3 of them, 2 of these are Stern Tron Legacy and Stern Star Trek and IMHO just about everyone who's tried my pincab all say "WOW, that real DMD is fantastic!". I've see one colorDMD game and IMHO it looked great but didn't have the brightness of a real DMD either, so its not a perfect solution as is. Whatever the case, you aren't really speaking for all of us, lots of us love our realDMD support

Now, I'm not against what you are saying, especially in Zen's case since they are making originals, they should embrace the freedom of their platform and go all Backglass gonzo but the issue is most of their clients use a single screen device to play their games so because of this, gameplay wise they are bound to keep vids/scoring to a DMD style area (not sure why they don't go for color, no reason not too). I guess in a way they are embracing their unique platform, their QTE portions of gameplay could be displayed on the backglass area but whatever, I think the limitation of single screen is shackling them a bit.

Comment

• mpad
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by nromo
                    what do you have against the concept of freedom of taste?

zens taste obvioulsy seems to go for the good old nostalgic looks. haven't seen a single multi-color dmd in their otherwise super futuristic tables.

Comment

Working...