Thread: Table views?

Default Table views?

Does everyone generally pick a favorite view and use it for all tables, or do you change your view based on the table layout?

I've experimented a lot with the views, but I always go back to view 1. Actually I used view 1w for a long time but for some reason lately I've decided that 1 looks better. The downside of view 1 and 1w is that you sometimes can't see the far end of the table very well. In particular, the bumpers and associated lanes are often obscured up near the top. However, I find that to maintain my sanity I need a view which shows the paddles at all times. Otherwise I feel a lack of control, like I have less of a warning when the ball is going to be moving toward them.

I know that view 4 keeps your paddles in view at all times, and it's nice because it gets down closer when the ball is in the closer half of the table, but it doesn't solve any of the problems with the view of the far half.

View 7 seems nice because it moves to show a better view of the upper half whenever the ball is up there, but it also takes your paddles out of view.

View 2 shows everything, but the camera is further away from the table so I always feel like I'm not seeing enough of the great graphical detail of the table.

So, for me it's view 1 almost all the time. If I could get used to the roving camera of some other views, I'd probably be happier being able to see more of the table graphics, but whenever I try one of those views I always end up going back to 1.

Ive tried them all and its a nice feature that can please us all pinballers. I use view 4 for all tables.

I've started favouring Portrait over Landscape for Zen recently.
    In portrait I tend to go View 1.
    In landscape I like 3 or 7 but don't like when I can't see rollover states due to the pan. I tend to favour a more upright camera which gives you better control with upper flippers.

Views do bug me in Zen though. TPA's portrait views are much better than Zen's. They have more perspective about them.
    Ideally for me the bottom edge of the screen should have the centre post or an inch below the flippers, and the width should be adjusted to fully show the outlanes. Then the top edge should have space for the dmd and be isometrically adjusted so the top edge of the playfield appears just below this.
    A perfectly execucted TPA example is below.

It feels like when you stand before the real machine.

Compared to this...

Acres of wasted space below the flippers, and every view too high and unreal feeling.

Pinball for me is about accuracy and control, and having the bottom edge of the table as close to the camera as possible, thus making the flippers as large on the screen as you can, whilst making the full table clear and visible without panning gives the most satisfying control. In Zen Portrait, the flippers are too far away and too small.
    Compare the 2 images, and look particularly at the flipper lengths, which are both captured on the same screen size.
    You have almost double the shot judgement in TPA because the on screen flipper representation is almost twice as large due to better perspective.

I do love Zen, but the cameras drive me nuts. I wish they would be improved (on all - not just new tables).
    Thanks for analogue nudge on left stick on Android though - great addition. Analogue plunge would be much appreciated if possible too though on right stick.
    Thanks Zen and team.
    Last edited by Nik Barbour; 03-21-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Nik,

I agree with everything you said. I really hope Zen fixes the portrait views. I much prefer the TPA views and play that game a lot more because of it. I find myself rarely playing Zen anymore because I play in portrait exclusively now and none of the Zen views feel like real pinball. They are too high up and overhead rather than the view you would have standing in front of a real machine. I really don't get this because their landscape views are perfect.

I think their idea was to fit the playfield perfectly to the screen and to do that you have to have a somewhat overhead view. Unfortunately, that view is too high and wastes most of the upper and lower portion of the display. It looks flat and 2D on most tables. I much prefer TPA views that are lower and more 3D looking even though the back portion is not fitted to the screen exactly. It just feels more like real pinball to me. However, I really like the ZEN designs and deep rule sets. It is a shame really. Even if they offered just a couple of lower views more like the landscape views I would be happy. I wouldn't even complain about lack of cabinet features if they would just fix the portrait view. <sigh>

Yeah exactly!

I really agree with you,

Portrait view doesn't do justice to Zen's work.
    I have a lot of trouble distinguishing lanes from each others in portrait (World War Hulk for example).

Would it be possible to have a free cam we can adjust then lock to a certain degree ?

Thanks.

I haven't had any real problems with their portrait view on my cab (the unnecessary camera zooms on plungers and some special events like mini playfields and upper flippers bother me more). But you imply a good point about the amount of screen space taken up by the table's apron.

My cab itself has an apron like a real machine, then the screen above that. So I get kind of a double apron effect in PBFX2. This means the flippers are further away from me than on a real machine. I think it would be better if the view didn't show the apron, although it might cut off some of the things that happen there (I think sometimes there are animated characters standing there or progress indicators, or sometimes they just look cool like the water on Hulk). Maybe some views could crop out the apron, or it could be an option somehow.

I've gotten to where now I no longer buy the Zen tables on Steam anymore. I have found that they just aren't much fun with the portrait views the way they are. The more I play TPA the more noticeable these poor views become. Some of the newer Star Wars tables look like they are squished with huge areas of space above and below. It's like the tables themselves are designed for landscape views and they don't translate well to portrait, which is ironic because pinball is a portrait game. I really hope Zen addresses this because I feel like I am missing out on what could be some really fun tables if the views could be adjusted. A user configurable camera would do wonders for this game.

I'm constantly cycling between views. I can currently only play in landscape, and I like parts of several views. I don't believe there is a perfect view in landscape. Some of the views obscure table elements etc.

What I'D LOVE is one more view, which is a custom camera. You'd be able to move the camera and adjust tilt to you're liking and save it. This would solve everyone's issues because anyone could create a view they personally like.

How about it Zen?

Quote Originally Posted by josh.nz View Post
    I'm constantly cycling between views. I can currently only play in landscape, and I like parts of several views. I don't believe there is a perfect view in landscape. Some of the views obscure table elements etc.

What I'D LOVE is one more view, which is a custom camera. You'd be able to move the camera and adjust tilt to you're liking and save it. This would solve everyone's issues because anyone could create a view they personally like.

How about it Zen?
    This would be the perfect option, I use the PS3 on view 4 and is mostly good, but a custom view oh yeah.

Yeah, I believe everyone would agree that a user defined camera setting would be perfect and I'm sure Zen knows that. However, it must be a difficult thing to implement because people have been requesting that for quite some time for both Zen and TPA - yet it hasn't been added. I would love to hear a developer's perspective on this because I would think it wouldn't be that hard to do - but I am not a programmer.