Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slaphammer
    • Feb 2014

Inlanes return too fast?

There are a handful of tables where the ball seems to speed up strangely when it enters the inlane. The one where I find this the most painful is the Boba Fett table -- I've lost countless balls because the ball enters the left inlane and then suddenly rockets forward so that my timing is off and it rolls right over my flipper and drains. It's really aggravating, I hardly ever play Boba Fett because of this. A few other tables do the same thing, like sometimes the X-Men table, but Boba is the worst.

Is this working as intended, or is it a quirk of the engine behind these tables that should ideally be corrected? Drives me insane....
  • Roo5676
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Slaphammer
    There are a handful of tables where the ball seems to speed up strangely when it enters the inlane. The one where I find this the most painful is the Boba Fett table -- I've lost countless balls because the ball enters the left inlane and then suddenly rockets forward so that my timing is off and it rolls right over my flipper and drains. It's really aggravating, I hardly ever play Boba Fett because of this. A few other tables do the same thing, like sometimes the X-Men table, but Boba is the worst.

Is this working as intended, or is it a quirk of the engine behind these tables that should ideally be corrected? Drives me insane....
    Seems fine to me, though I admit that left inlane on Boba Fett is quite fast! Look at how the return lane is designed. On most tables, it curves in towards the middle before dropping the ball out (left lane on Clone Wars is a good example). On Boba Fett, that lane is pretty much straight down into the inlane. The ball is going to accelerate with nothing to slow it down.

It caught me off guard a few times, too, but you'll adapt. It's one of those little details that makes different tables play differently, which I appreciate. It makes you have to change your strategy on when to trap, what shot to aim for, etc.

The return lanes on Civil War where it bypasses the inlanes and drops the ball right onto the flippers are also fast and tricky.

Comment

• Slaphammer
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roo5676
      It caught me off guard a few times, too, but you'll adapt. It's one of those little details that makes different tables play differently, which I appreciate. It makes you have to change your strategy on when to trap, what shot to aim for, etc.
      Yeah, maybe I'll just get used to it if I start playing that table regularly instead of just every so often. I saw a thread where people said the Boba Fett table is very high-scoring but my score is pretty low, so I realized that I just don't play it much. It's probably my least favorite of the six Star Wars tables, although I know it's a favorite for many others.

The return lanes on Civil War where it bypasses the inlanes and drops the ball right onto the flippers are also fast and tricky.
      Yeah, that table drives me crazy even more than Boba Fett. I want to love Civil War, the theme seems really cool, but its frustration level is very high. It always wants to send balls straight down the middle, so I get annoyed and go play something else. If I remember correctly, I learned that when a ball is coming from the left inlane you should just plan to hit it with the right flipper, and vice versa. The unusual way the balls drop on the flippers just sends it right across to the other side without you doing anything.

Comment

• Roo5676
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Slaphammer
        I want to love Civil War, the theme seems really cool, but its frustration level is very high. It always wants to send balls straight down the middle, so I get annoyed and go play something else. If I remember correctly, I learned that when a ball is coming from the left inlane you should just plan to hit it with the right flipper, and vice versa. The unusual way the balls drop on the flippers just sends it right across to the other side without you doing anything.
        Yeah, I still don't feel like I have the hang of Civil War. It definitely feels different and harder to predict than anything else. My score is pretty terrible as well, though I also haven't played it as much as other tables.

If I recall, you can push the flipper to "pop" the ball up over to the other flipper as it crosses the slingshot on those return lanes.

Comment

• Teutatis
          • Feb 2014

I believe a rocket thrust sound is played on the Boba table when its heading to that left lane. As soon as I hear that I hold the left flipper until the ball has cleared. It is notoriously fast, but as long as I do that I avoid it draining.

Comment

• Crazy Bonus
            • Jul 2010

Boba Fett was the hardest table out of the the first DLC Star Wars packs, but now I'm finding Episode 4 really hard it's not that the inlanes are really fast it is the silver posts at the top of them. There seems to be a lot of bounce if you hit them and almost all the time I'm playing this sends the ball to the outlanes in a big hurry. It's a challenge to light the kickbacks fast in able to concentrate on missions same thing when I played Boba Fett it is very important to light those kickbacks right away.
            Bonus multiplier goes nuts on drains

Comment

Working...