Thread: Any tips for tilt?

Default Any tips for tilt?

One of the biggest problems I run into with these pinball games is....ball outs that can't be avoided without tilt. AKA straight down the middle on the bigger gap tables, or one with very little overlap to avoid it. And of course out the side paths, any tips to avoid this? It's probably one of the biggest thing that keeps me from getting really good.

And how DOES tilt work? Does the direction you tilt create the opposite movement of the ball? AKA if you want the ball to go to the right press to the left, or is it the direction you want? Just wondering as some times the ball seems to react opposite, and other times not.

I use the "death save" or "bang back" quite often on outlane drains. For example, if the ball is coming down the right outlane hold the right flipper up and the tilt to the left just as the ball passes under the flipper. There are YouTube videos on this.

Nudge passing from flipper to flipper is also very helpful for hitting specific targets and ramps. Don't be afraid to fail trying this stuff. It's the only way to get better. There's definitely some trial and error to get your timing down, but mastering the death save is a must for high scores.
    PSN: Bearded_Warrior

Table Wishlist: Lord of the Rings, God of War, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda, and Marvel's Archangel.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    One of the biggest problems I run into with these pinball games is....ball outs that can't be avoided without tilt. AKA straight down the middle on the bigger gap tables, or one with very little overlap to avoid it. And of course out the side paths, any tips to avoid this? It's probably one of the biggest thing that keeps me from getting really good.

And how DOES tilt work? Does the direction you tilt create the opposite movement of the ball? AKA if you want the ball to go to the right press to the left, or is it the direction you want? Just wondering as some times the ball seems to react opposite, and other times not.
    You mean nudges. The word you want to use is nudges.

Tilts are bad

well nudge/english which ever :> The game calls tilt when you do it.

Again main issue is just how to avoid going out on the sides, most tables don't have flippers there, and on some tables many of the ramps if you fail to go up send you straight down the side paths and ball out.

I can't ever figure out the right timing on nudge.

Tilt means you nudged/shook/moved the table too many times and it has disqualified you.

On the outlane drains, you need an upward notion also.
    i.e. when going down the right outlane, you usually need to nudge it NorthWest
    down the left outlane, nudge it NorthEast.

I think because of thumb placement, NW nudges are easier to perform. I rarely make the save down the left outlane.

Some tables are easier to nudge than others. Fear Itself is one table with a rep for this.
    Deep's recent tables (Episode 4 and Episode 6) are best nudged before the ball hits the lane. Nudge E if on the left side, nudge W if on the right side.

As for other drains, I don't have much advice. The right Conquer ramp on Rome was notorious for sending the ball down the middle on a failed shot. You had to perfectly time a nudge (I think to the left) as it left the ramp to maybe avoid the drain. But most of the newer tables don't have that trait.

You practice by turning off the tilt rule in the operations menu, so you can nudge uninterrupted.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo