Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: serious flipper lag

Default serious flipper lag

I'm experiencing some serious flipper lag. This is not an issue on my XB 360. Any suggestions to fix this?

This is a strange one, as my girlfriend is having lag issues also (never experienced any before on Xbox 360 or PS3), yet the game is running lag free for me.

We know all about playing in GAME Mode, and turning off all post picture processing mod cons.

Maybe some kind of Guitar Hero lag calibrater could be incorporated?

Thanks for the reports. Will look into this and see what might be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    I'm experiencing some serious flipper lag. This is not an issue on my XB 360. Any suggestions to fix this?
    Same issue here. I am having serious lag problems and it makes the game basically unplayable. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am in the Xbox Preview program and am using software version 6.2.11393.0 (xb_rel_1408.140808-1753) fre.

Please see what you can do about this issue, as I have really been looking forward to playing some pinball and even bought another table before I tried the game and found the latency.

Banned

xbox 360 is easily heated that causes this problem so let it cool it down for a time hope this helps

That's the single most craziest thing I have ever heard...

Plus we're talking about lag affecting the Xbox ONE version of Pinball FX2 here, not 360.

Default Delay when using the flipper,

Same problem on every table I have transferred and tried.

When I press the trigger on the controller, there is a tiny delay before the paddle reacts. It's small, but it's enough to effect any timed precision shots I might be trying and definitely effects just normal reaction shots when I can't account for the delay ahead of time.

Default Very frustrating!

Same here, I reckon the delay is about 500ms so I did wonder if it was intentional, but I don't remember seeing that delay on the xbox360 or windows 8 versions? Either way it's *very* frustrating and essentially makes playing any table a game of luck more than skill

Quote Originally Posted by VaticanUK View Post
    Same here, I reckon the delay is about 500ms so I did wonder if it was intentional, but I don't remember seeing that delay on the xbox360 or windows 8 versions? Either way it's *very* frustrating and essentially makes playing any table a game of luck more than skill
    Man, it´s impossible to have 500ms delay...this is half a second..maybe 50ms, but not 500ms...

I`m suffering with a little lag to, it´s perfect noticiable...

I experience lag on both my PS4 and Xbox One with my TV. If I switch the display mode to "Game" the lag is completely gone. Not sure if everyone has that option though. Its just enough lag to cause me to miss the ball if I am trying to make an outside orbit shot.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCougar View Post
    I experience lag on both my PS4 and Xbox One with my TV. If I switch the display mode to "Game" the lag is completely gone. Not sure if everyone has that option though. Its just enough lag to cause me to miss the ball if I am trying to make an outside orbit shot.
    That is, unfortunately, not the issue here, as the Xbox 360 version of the game works perfectly.

I was thinking it was probably around 100ms (1/10th of a second)... it is enough to make the game basically unplayable, barring random button mashing.

Don't have this issue myself that I have noticed (although it feels like there is a greater distance you have to push the trigger for the flipper to react compared to the 360 version) but reading through the thread I had a random thought, are all your controllers firmware up to date?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandSpirit View Post
    Don't have this issue myself that I have noticed (although it feels like there is a greater distance you have to push the trigger for the flipper to react compared to the 360 version) but reading through the thread I had a random thought, are all your controllers firmware up to date?
    That thought had crossed my mind, so I made sure both my controllers firmware was updated as of today.

Another thing that had occurred to me was the distance the trigger can go down, and maybe that had something to do with it, but I tested quite a bit and it does not. The flipper will rise even if you just barely press the trigger in, so it doesn't need to be completely pressed to work. If I do it really fast, I can push the trigger all the way into it's max position and completely let go before the flipper actually rises on the screen. I'm not seeing any other type of lag other than that, everything in the game looks pretty fluid.

The 360 works fine and this is the first time I've ever noticed a delay like this on my controller for any of my Xbox one games.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker444 View Post
    Another thing that had occurred to me was the distance the trigger can go down, and maybe that had something to do with it, but I tested quite a bit and it does not. The flipper will rise even if you just barely press the trigger in, so it doesn't need to be completely pressed to work. If I do it really fast, I can push the trigger all the way into it's max position and completely let go before the flipper actually rises on the screen. I'm not seeing any other type of lag other than that, everything in the game looks pretty fluid..
    Sounds like the trigger distance is how I've been interpreting what has been identified as the lag issue. Hmmm. (didn't have a lot of time at the time to do any real testing)

Default Flipper lag here as well

Just adding my name to the list of someone experiencing flipper lag on the Xbox One. Switching my tv to game mode improved things to where the game is at least playable, but there is still some lag. Not to mention that switching to game mode is annoying and the graphics aren't quite as sharp, so hopefully there is a better fix than that.

Default Nudging..

Anyone noticed that bumping with the Left Thumb stick is not as responsive as 360 it's quite annoying and I have had to change the nudging to the D-PAD which is not as easy especially when you have always used the Left Thumb stick.
    Could this be looked at please?

Thanks.
    Last edited by WAZMAC; 08-16-2014 at 12:17 AM.

I'm not lagging after trying all the Star Wars tables but I though I might pose a query:

In the XB1 version, can you still go into the operators menu and reduce the microsecond timing on the upper and lower flipper responce by dropping the 15 to a 0 like you could on 360. If you can, see if this helps your lag issues. I know it's a long shot but you never know.

Noticing lag as well ... quite noticeable. The game is not playable, as far as I'm concerned.

Default Flipper and nudge lag

Quote Originally Posted by WAZMAC View Post
    Anyone noticed that bumping with the Left Thumb stick is not as responsive as 360 it's quite annoying and I have had to change the bumping to the D-PAD which is not as easy especially when you have always used the Left Thumb stick.
    Could this be looked at please? L

Thanks.
    I had to do the same! Maybe they can adjust the dead zone. It's mostly due to controller difference from the 360 pad, hands just fit differently on the sticks.

I may have flipper lag too, but I still got 168 mil on my first sorcerers lair attempt. It definitely felt different versus 360 and ps platforms.

Default Nudge lag

I am definately experiencing nudge lag on the XBox One. Especially on Guardians of the Galaxy table.

I have tried some other tables too and sometimes there is a split second delay and that is all it takes for a ball drain.

My controller is updated so it isnt that and I dont like using the Dpad for nudge.

Looks like I will be going back to using the 360 if this problem isnt sorted out.

Yep same problem for me too. I noticed when controller was plugged in when I was charging the problem goes away so I'm guessing it's more of a hardware issue rather than the game itself. I've also noticed the same issue on Forza 5 as well.

Really hope Microsoft release another patch for the controller soon to alleviate this problem or at least release a wired controller.

Default Same problem

Game is unplayable to me. The lag between the button press and flipper movement is too much. Never had the problem on my 360.

Quote Originally Posted by RSR Nelly View Post
    Yep same problem for me too. I noticed when controller was plugged in when I was charging the problem goes away so I'm guessing it's more of a hardware issue rather than the game itself. I've also noticed the same issue on Forza 5 as well.

Really hope Microsoft release another patch for the controller soon to alleviate this problem or at least release a wired controller.
    Connecting the controller with a USB cable did not fix the problem for me.

If thats the case, have you tried changing the brand of batteries in the controller?

I had energizer ultimate lithium batteries and I am yet to see a problem.

Maybe weak batteries are the issue.

(wired with a usb the controller gets full power from the console)

Quote Originally Posted by WAZMAC View Post
    Anyone noticed that bumping with the Left Thumb stick is not as responsive as 360 it's quite annoying and I have had to change the nudging to the D-PAD which is not as easy especially when you have always used the Left Thumb stick.
    Could this be looked at please?

Thanks.
    I´m having te same issue. The bumping with the left thumb stick have a litte lag, but enough to make almost impossible to save the ball when it falls down the left or right outlanes. The flippers response apperas fine to me, i use LB and RB to play.

Unhappy No "ball running" sound effect

Also, anyone noticed that the sound effetc of the ball running throughout the table is missing? This sound effet was always present in every table on the xbox360 version of the game. Playing without it now is very weird.

Sorry for my bad english.

Yeah, this is an odd one! I've been adjusting the audio all over the place and can't hear the ball rolling sound effect at all!

So I went over to Pinball FX2 on Xbox 360 and played a little Earth Defense, and it's right there, clear as a bell!

Hopefully this is something that can be patched in, right Zen?

Default Fix soon please.

I had to stop playing after one game. The delay was so noticeable that I couldn't stand it anymore. That doesn't normally happen with Pinball. XD

I had to start concentrating on when to hit the flipper just to keep my ball from guttering, rather than where I wanted the ball to go. That's not how Pinball should be. I hope this is fixed soon.

Same problem... The flippers are too laggy to play. Tried everything, but the lag won't go away. I downloaded all my x360 tables, and blindly bought around 25 bucks worth of new tables without first playing. Stupid... I won't be playing till this is resolved. Plz help us!

Sometimes flipper delay is caused by the TV settings - you might try turning off any game modes or extra settings and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    Sometimes flipper delay is caused by the TV settings - you might try turning off any game modes or extra settings and see if that helps.
    Hi Barbie,

While I agree with what you've said, I can confirm that this is not the case for me. My TV is not the source of the problem, and the delay is enough to make the game nearly impossible to play.

Thanks,
    Chris

Edit: I wonder, is this one of the first games to require such an intense accuracy for basic gameplay? Perhaps the issue is not with the game, but with the consoles. I play titanfall on both the X1 and the 360, and while I never could pinpoint why, I'm way more accurate when playing on the 360.

Default Plugging in the controller eliminated lag

Ditto for me. After reading this yesterday, I tried it with a plugged in controller and it removed the lag entirely. All the tables are now lag free with my TV set to normal (not game mode) - so it seems to be something with the controllers themselves. What's odd is that I've played plenty of XBox One games and the controllers are always very responsive, even when the batteries are about to die.

Regardless, I can now play the game. Now if only I could download the Star Wars tables...

Question

I tried playing with the joypad plugged in, I fiddled around with my tv settings, I updated my joypad firmware, turned up the flipper sensitivity in the operatormenu... nothing seems to work. I don´t know what more I could try. My xbox360 did not have this problem, and it was connected to the same tv with the same settings. Anyone?

This doesn't help, unfortunately. The lag is not there on the Xbox 360 and I use the same setup.

My television: SHARP LC-80LE857U AQUOS LED QUATTRO
    HDMI cables: AudioQuest Carbon
    Processor: Integra DTC 9.8
    Xbox One OS Version: 6.2.11499.0 (xb_rel_1409.140817-2200) fre

No solution yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Applemooze View Post
    No solution yet?
    Not yet -we've been working on several issues, but I will let you know if I hear of any progress on this.

I have some "Flip Lag" too, but i think it's come from the L/R Triggers. When i use RB/RT instead, it's perfectly Working.

I think it's because the L/R triggers are analogic and they need too more "pressure" to be recognized.
    Maybe a little patch just to recognize the input when triggers are just a little triggered could solve the problem.

PS : I'm french, so i hope it's understandable.

Just registered to say i have this issue as well. Only running the included table for now as it spoils the game having to click a second early.

Cheers,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by BBIAJ View Post
    We know all about playing in GAME Mode, and turning off all post picture processing mod cons.
    Try setting the TV to "computer mode" if available. Game Mode varies from TV to TV. For example, the game mode on Vizio TVs is designed for older consoles that run on 480i. It has a few tools enabled to reduce flickering and aliasing, while their Computer Mode is designed for HD gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm lucky enough to be lag free here!

Hit me up on Twitch @BBIAJ

Default Trigger/Button delay,

The delay happens to me on both the triggers, and the buttons above the triggers. Game mode, or no game mode. Controller plugged in or using wireless. No matter what I try, it's there. The buttons are just slightly faster response time than the triggers, but still enough of a delay to make precision shots a lot more difficult. It's not the amount of distance you have to push in a trigger, because technically they respond to the slightest touch when I've tested them on other games. There seems to be something else going on here.

I found two things not going smoothly on the 1 table I have: Sorcerers Lair

Yes, there is a lag between pressing the shoulderbutton and the actual movement of the flippers. Eventually your brain can overcome that by compensating this lag and pressing the button earlier. Despite that, it should be fixed.

Yet, and this has happened several times now: I want to catch a ball on my flipper so I keep a button pressed. Ball comes to a halt nicely. Waddaya know, the flipper itself decides to unhinge and let my ball roll away. This happens with several controllers (1 used and 1 brand new), wired & wireless, both shoulderbuttons as well as the analogue triggers.

/edit: just played a few rounds on Sorcerers and ran into "sticky flippers"; they get stuck in the upright position while I did not have my fingers on the buttons.
    Last edited by OctagonQontrol; 08-27-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Any word on a fix for the lag yet?

Sorry no word yet.

Default MacBook Pro

I'm getting flipper lag on my new MacBook Pro, too. The only way to avoid it is by constantly keeping the flippers flipping. It's annoying.

Just checking in... any update on the lag problem yet?

Default Fixed flipper lag

I registered here just to post this one reply. I think it is a measure of how precise pinball is that I have not noticed this issue in other Xbone games.

Description: Fraction of a second lag between button (trigger) press and flipper action. Very frustrating. Problem not experienced on Xbox 360, only on Xbox One.

Tried: Updating controller firmware (did not fix). Using controller wired with USB (did not fix).

Solution: Switching my TV from "energy saving mode" (Honestly, I didn't even know I was in energy saving mode!) to "game" mode. Fixed.

I have several other TV modes I have not tried, including "vivid" and "custom". I might play with those modes in the future for testing purposes. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing if I notice the difference in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ferris View Post
    Solution: Switching my TV from "energy saving mode" (Honestly, I didn't even know I was in energy saving mode!) to "game" mode. Fixed.
    This is going to pretty much be the solution for most of you guys.

The reason why you didn't experience the problem on the Xbox 360 is because the games are stored as 480p and then upscaled on your TV at the desired resolution. The Xbox One (like the PS3 and PS4) use native resolution and that's where the problem lies. Native resolution uses more processing power on your TV than an upscale. If you have any video enhancers on, then you are losing some precious TV processing power.

For those that have a Vizio TV, their "game mode" is designed for older consoles (480i ones). I found that changing the setting to "Computer Mode" and going into Advanced Options and turning off the remaining enhancers fixes the problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    This is going to pretty much be the solution for most of you guys.
    Please, I got my TV calibrated to ISF-standards and paid decent money for it as well. Every other game on my 360 and my One plays just fine without glitches, stutter and so on. I posted earlier in this topic about flipper lag and even flippers not responding to several controllers, wired AND wireless.

To update; I only played the Wizard-table and sometimes the table just "hangs" for 0.1s randomly. But the mechanics/physics continue to work so by the time I see movement again, the ball is not where it "froze".

Quote Originally Posted by OctagonQontrol View Post
    Please, I got my TV calibrated to ISF-standards and paid decent money for it as well. Every other game on my 360 and my One plays just fine without glitches, stutter and so on. I posted earlier in this topic about flipper lag and even flippers not responding to several controllers, wired AND wireless.
    Same here, but then again. Those games don't require a fraction of a second response time like pinball flippers do. Processing a 1080p at a consistent 60fps takes a lot out of a TV and it doesn't help that those video enhancers are usually turned on by default and are designed for video with 30 frames or less.

Like I said, I ran into the same problem with this game and my TV is also calibrated to ISF standards. Turning off the video enhancers did the trick. Heck, I actually made two custom settings on my TV. One for pinball and one for the other games that benefit from them.

Quote Originally Posted by OctagonQontrol View Post

To update; I only played the Wizard-table and sometimes the table just "hangs" for 0.1s randomly. But the mechanics/physics continue to work so by the time I see movement again, the ball is not where it "froze".
    Absolutely right.

I also had my television professionally calibrated and I keep all the dumb stuff turned off, as all I want is a pure source image. On top of that, I don't have a cheap television by any means. The flippers are the only thing that is messed up in the game and other games have absolutely no problem. If I play a shooter, the gun fires exactly when I press the trigger and the report is immediate. This is not the case for the flippers in the pinball game.

Angry Any news???

So I have spent 100 euros for all the table...I have this game on PS3, PS vita working well...on XBOX 360 lag like the hell!!! ON PC working well...can you solve the XBOX VERSION??????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????

Is not a TV problem at all...I am here to confirm this because on the same tv playing PS3, PC and the XBOX...so I really asking for a patch!!! This game the best flipper and also one of the most expensive for who wants to have all the tables...in the end better you work on the solution than on a new table!!!

I will stay tuned for the answer...from a ZEN sutdios member of course!

PS my xbox is the last version, I keep it clean from dust with a air compressor...believe you have to stop to find excuses...you have to work on a patch!!!

If can help I really suppose this is a controller issue...I was trying with web-camera control and it work fine ( I mean hard to play but at least no lag!)
    Last edited by acidhouse; 10-06-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acidhouse View Post
    So I have spent 100 euros for all the table...I have this game on PS3, PS vita working well...on XBOX 360 lag like the hell!!! ON PC working well...can you solve the XBOX VERSION??????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????

Is not a TV problem at all...I am here to confirm this because on the same tv playing PS3, PC and the XBOX...so I really asking for a patch!!! This game the best flipper and also one of the most expensive for who wants to have all the tables...in the end better you work on the solution than on a new table!!!

I will stay tuned for the answer...from a ZEN sutdios member of course!

PS my xbox is the last version, I keep it clean from dust with a air compressor...believe you have to stop to find excuses...you have to work on a patch!!!

If can help I really suppose this is a controller issue...I was trying with web-camera control and it work fine ( I mean hard to play but at least no lag!)
    Sorry - I don't have news on this issue, I will post when I do.

Default Video demonstration of SEVERE flipper lag in Pinball FX 2

PLEASE have the developers review this video and PLEASE ask them to fix this issue. The game is completely unplayable with this lag. The Xbox 360 version did not suffer from this problem.

There are a good number of us out there with this problem and it MUST be addressed. Please help. Please.

http://youtu.be/RDfMcioqVKo

I just played Pinball FX 2 on my Xbox 360 to confirm that it is DEFINITELY working... and it is. The ONLY problem is with the Xbox One version. I can do a video of the Xbox 360 version if needed, but it plays as it should.

This is the PERFECT example of why this needs to be fixed:

http://youtu.be/RDfMcioqVKo?t=6s

If the link doesn't work properly, just go to 0:06 in the video. The ball hits the flipper and I hit the trigger at the perfect time. The ball bounces and goes out of the picture before the flipper moves.

Could you please forward this to the programming team to have this resolved?

UPDATED:

I made a new video showing the Xbox One lag versus the Xbox 360. The consoles run into the same processor and out of the processor into the same input on the television.

http://youtu.be/mnl29220vEU
    Last edited by TheTerrorBeyond; 10-22-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Just out of curiosity, if you hold the trigger for a prolonged period of time to hold the flipper in the up position, then release the trigger, does the flipper drop immediately, or does it drop after the same delay?

Quote Originally Posted by TV_Junkie View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if you hold the trigger for a prolonged period of time to hold the flipper in the up position, then release the trigger, does the flipper drop immediately, or does it drop after the same delay?
    That's a good question... checking.

The same delay is present.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTerrorBeyond View Post
    PLEASE have the developers review this video and PLEASE ask them to fix this issue. The game is completely unplayable with this lag. The Xbox 360 version did not suffer from this problem.

There are a good number of us out there with this problem and it MUST be addressed. Please help. Please.
    Wow that's bad.

Should we find out if there is any commonality to people who have the problem.

maybe?

1: is your controller updated to the current software version? y/n
    2: how is your controller powered? wired / rechargeable batteries / plug and play kit / Disposable batteries

anyone else think of the right questions to ask?

my controller is updated and I use disposable "energizer ultimate lithium" batteries and have never experienced the issue.

I have no flipper lag.

Controller is updated and I use wireless controller w/ the microsoft rechargeable battery pack.

Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerJTL View Post
    I have no flipper lag.

Controller is updated and I use wireless controller w/ the microsoft rechargeable battery pack.
    Same here. Both of my controllers are updated (I had to do so when I got my Turtle Beaches last month), and both use the Microsoft rechargeable pack, recharged with the play and charge kit.

Whether they're plugged in to the play and charge kit or not, whether they have my Turtle Beach headset plugged into them or not, there is never any lag. My TV is a 4 year old Samsung FullHD super slim LED in Game Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzpot View Post
    Same here. Both of my controllers are updated (I had to do so when I got my Turtle Beaches last month), and both use the Microsoft rechargeable pack, recharged with the play and charge kit.

Whether they're plugged in to the play and charge kit or not, whether they have my Turtle Beach headset plugged into them or not, there is never any lag. My TV is a 4 year old Samsung FullHD super slim LED in Game Mode.
    Same here. The only lag I can see is not in the flippers but in the sitck, used to bump the tables.
    but didn't notice any lag in normal flippers gameplay.

I just played Pinball FX 2 on my Xbox 360 to confirm that it is DEFINITELY working... and it is. The ONLY problem is with the Xbox One version. I can do a video of the Xbox 360 version if needed, but it plays as it should.
    Are both consoles connected with HDMI or is the 360 using component cables? I know it's unlikely given how long HDMI has been around, but I thought I'd ask since it's something that could account for the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyIronHead View Post
    Are both consoles connected with HDMI or is the 360 using component cables? I know it's unlikely given how long HDMI has been around, but I thought I'd ask since it's something that could account for the difference.
    Both are running through the same theater processor (Emotiva XMC-1) and into the television. The problem only occurs on the Xbox One, so the processor and cable have no effect. The cables are all Audioquest Carbon OR Cinnamon HDMI cables. There are no lip-sync issues on anything when watching video, so there is no processor delay, and the processor is not upscaling at all, it is simply providing pass-through.
    Last edited by TheTerrorBeyond; 10-22-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Out of Interest..... does your TV appear on any of these databases?

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
    http://www.rtings.com/info/input-lag-tvs
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

if so what are the figures?

also what are you current display settings in the Xbox One settings? just so we can see what you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nod Nolan View Post
    Out of Interest..... does your TV appear on any of these databases?

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
    http://www.rtings.com/info/input-lag-tvs
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

if so what are the figures?

also what are you current display settings in the Xbox One settings? just so we can see what you're on.
    2013 80" Sharp LC-80LE857U 1080p 240hz 3D LED HDTV AVG 59ms Okay

This doesn't really come into play though, as the Xbox 360 version works perfectly.

Xbox One software version: 6.2.11653.0 (xb_rel_1410.141009-1648) fre
    TV Resolution: 1080p
    TV Connection: HDMI
    Color depth: 36 bits per pixel
    Color space: TV

Allow 50hz refresh is not checked.
    Allow 3D is not checked.
    Last edited by TheTerrorBeyond; 10-16-2014 at 11:18 PM.

For what its worth, I have no lag when I play at home. When I took my Xbone to a friend's house the lag made the game unplayable on his TV. We've never experienced lag like this with any other Xbone games, nor do we have this problem if we choose to play FX2 on 360.

The lag remains with Xbox One software version 6.2.11765.0 (xb_rel_1411.141017-2100) fre.

Just for troubleshooting purposes, have you verified that the TV is in game mode when playing the xbox 1? Also, have you tried directly connecting your xbox 1 to your television?

Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    Just for troubleshooting purposes, have you verified that the TV is in game mode when playing the xbox 1? Also, have you tried directly connecting your xbox 1 to your television?
    Neither of these make a difference, as there is absolutely no problem with the Xbox 360.

Neither of these make a difference, as there is absolutely no problem with the Xbox 360.
    Actually they could depending on your setup. I have a universal remote which I have programmed to automatically switch on game mode on the TV when I select PS3 and turn it off when I select any other mode. When I first programmed the remote for the ps3 I forgot to do this and had lag. But maybe you don't have a universal remote and manually change the game mode setting. I don't know your setup so that is why I ask. These can be the little things that you might miss, especially with multiple devices using different settings.

You say your xbox 360 doesn't have any lag, did you connect your xbox one to the same HDMI port? I've found that some latency can still occur on AV receivers even if you disable image processing. I'm not sure if the receiver was faulty or if there was still some kind of image processing going on but when I connected my console directly to the tv the lag disappeared. The input lag you're experiencing might have nothing to do with your TV or receiver, but I tend to troubleshoot all possible sources of lag from my a/v equipment before I state that it is a problem with the game.

Hi folks,

I gave up on this game a while ago because of this issue. However, I may have come across something that you folks can help me test. I have noticed input lag in pinball FX2, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and most recently, NHL 15.

I have always suspected that the issue is not software related, but was always baffled as to why some people seem to experience it, and others don't.

A few days ago, something dawned on me while reading a thread on the XBOX forums about the quality of the X1 controllers. I'm not a heavy user, only play maybe 1 hour a day, if I get the chance. Still using my original controller. However, I had bought a second controller so I would have one if ever my wife wants to play a game with me. It has only been used by her a couple times.

I decided to swap my controller with this hardly used one to see if there's any difference, and though I want to test this some more, there definitely seems to be a problem with my original controller, and not the one purchased later.

If you happen to have multiple controllers, I ask that you try them all and post your results. My guess at this point is that there is a bad revision of the early controllers out there. Hopefully not affecting the newer ones.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    Actually they could depending on your setup. I have a universal remote which I have programmed to automatically switch on game mode on the TV when I select PS3 and turn it off when I select any other mode. When I first programmed the remote for the ps3 I forgot to do this and had lag. But maybe you don't have a universal remote and manually change the game mode setting. I don't know your setup so that is why I ask. These can be the little things that you might miss, especially with multiple devices using different settings.

You say your xbox 360 doesn't have any lag, did you connect your xbox one to the same HDMI port? I've found that some latency can still occur on AV receivers even if you disable image processing. I'm not sure if the receiver was faulty or if there was still some kind of image processing going on but when I connected my console directly to the tv the lag disappeared. The input lag you're experiencing might have nothing to do with your TV or receiver, but I tend to troubleshoot all possible sources of lag from my a/v equipment before I state that it is a problem with the game.
    Everything runs into the HDMI in ports of the Emotiva XMC-1 and out the HDMI 1 output of the processor to the television. The processor is an audio processor that passes video through unmolested. The television uses the same input at all times.

There is no difference between the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One in the way that they are connected to the television and there is no lag on other games on the Xbox One. I would not be able to play a shooter on the Xbox One if the lag was like it is on the pinball game.

Now, please watch the video I posted below... I am sure you weren't attempting to be condescending, but it came off that way. It is a problem with the game.
    Last edited by TheTerrorBeyond; 10-22-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebreak View Post
    Hi folks,

I gave up on this game a while ago because of this issue. However, I may have come across something that you folks can help me test. I have noticed input lag in pinball FX2, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and most recently, NHL 15.

I have always suspected that the issue is not software related, but was always baffled as to why some people seem to experience it, and others don't.

A few days ago, something dawned on me while reading a thread on the XBOX forums about the quality of the X1 controllers. I'm not a heavy user, only play maybe 1 hour a day, if I get the chance. Still using my original controller. However, I had bought a second controller so I would have one if ever my wife wants to play a game with me. It has only been used by her a couple times.

I decided to swap my controller with this hardly used one to see if there's any difference, and though I want to test this some more, there definitely seems to be a problem with my original controller, and not the one purchased later.

If you happen to have multiple controllers, I ask that you try them all and post your results. My guess at this point is that there is a bad revision of the early controllers out there. Hopefully not affecting the newer ones.

Thanks!
    I will test this and let you know what I find. One of the kids has a couple of extra controllers for his Xbox One and I will key it up and let you know. I will be using a Titanfall controller to test.

Here is a video showing the Xbox One and the Xbox 360. Both consoles are running into the same processor and out into the same input on the television.

I tested the Titanfall controller and the results were the same.

I made another video showing the Xbox One (with the Titanfall controller) versus the Xbox 360.

I'll see if I can do a similar video to confirm for sure whether I actually have one controller working fine and one not.

Hey guys - I've had the team spend a lot of hour investigating this issue to no avail. Other than switching controllers or messing with TV settings, I don't know what else to suggest.

Hey guys - I've had the team spend a lot of hour investigating this issue to no avail. Other than switching controllers or messing with TV settings, I don't know what else to suggest.
    Did you see the video showing the Xbox 360 working perfectly? Adjusting anything on the television or processor won't help, as the Xbox 360 is using the same exact set up and the same exact input on the television, yet it works perfectly.

There is clearly something in the game that is very odd.

Did you see the video showing the Xbox 360 working perfectly? Adjusting anything on the television or processor won't help, as the Xbox 360 is using the same exact set up and the same exact input on the television, yet it works perfectly.

Like I said, we've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the cause could be with no results. We can't figure out why some people have this issue while others do not. Sorry.

Like I said, we've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the cause could be with no results. We can't figure out why some people have this issue while others do not. Sorry.
    I'm not trying to be rude, so don't take offense, but that is not a great response.

"It doesn't work. Sorry." - Zen Studios

That is not a great way to look at this, as some people have spent a decent amount of money on tables that will not work on the Xbox One. Luckily for me, I still have the Xbox 360, but many people got rid of their 360s and won't be satisfied with this response.

KickBeaten Down

Have you tried plugging the Xbox One directly into the TV, to eliminate your A/V unit as a possible cause? There are various reasons why the 360's working in the same A/V unit input does not eliminate the unit as a possible cause.

Also, what are your video output settings on your Xbox One? (all of them, not just resolution)

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Have you tried plugging the Xbox One directly into the TV, to eliminate your A/V unit as a possible cause? There are various reasons why the 360's working in the same A/V unit input does not eliminate the unit as a possible cause.

Also, what are your video output settings on your Xbox One? (all of them, not just resolution)

I have changed processors since the game came out and the issue existed with the previous processor as well.

Originally:

My television: SHARP LC-80LE857U AQUOS LED QUATTRO
    HDMI cables: AudioQuest Carbon
    Processor: Integra DTC 9.8
    Xbox One OS Version: 6.2.11499.0 (xb_rel_1409.140817-2200) fre

Updated version:

2013 80" Sharp LC-80LE857U 1080p 240hz 3D LED HDTV AVG 59ms Okay

This doesn't really come into play though, as the Xbox 360 version works perfectly.

Xbox One software version: 6.2.11653.0 (xb_rel_1410.141009-1648) fre
    TV Resolution: 1080p
    TV Connection: HDMI
    Color depth: 36 bits per pixel
    Color space: TV

Allow 50hz refresh is not checked.
    Allow 3D is not checked.

I have also tried different HDMI cables (AudioQuest Cinnamon) to no avail.

The Xbox One has been through multiple software revisions as well and I have posted version numbers for those updates as well.

Latest Xbox One software update: The lag remains with Xbox One software version 6.2.11765.0 (xb_rel_1411.141017-2100) fre.

This is all in the thread. I know there is a lot to look through, so I moved the pertinent information here.

KickBeaten Down

But did you try plugging the xbox one directly into the tv for troubleshooting purposes?

But did you try plugging the xbox one directly into the tv for troubleshooting purposes?
    Yes. With the same results.

I just did it again and recorded a video... one moment and I will get it posted so you can see that it is exactly the same.

I am going to assume that you work for Zen, as you have posted 912 times, so thanks for looking into this.
    Last edited by TheTerrorBeyond; 10-22-2014 at 07:31 PM.

KickBeaten Down

Okay, the next step I would take is changing the 36-bit color depth to 24, as there aren't any (consumer) 30/36-bit sources out there, and upconverting actually reduces picture quality. And could potentially introduce lag, although that seems unlikely unless the chip is poorly designed.

edit: No, I don't work for Zen, but I used to
    Last edited by Solitude; 10-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Okay, the next step I would take is changing the 36-bit color depth to 24, as there aren't any (consumer) 30/36-bit sources out there, and upconverting actually reduces picture quality. And could potentially introduce lag, although that seems unlikely unless the chip is poorly designed.

edit: No, I don't work for Zen, but I used to
    I actually changed it to 36 the other day when trying to see what settings I could change to fix it - it is the same on all settings. It has been back at 24 since then.

Here's a video showing it connected through the XMC-1 and then directly... and then the Xbox 360.

http://youtu.be/qm5woG32Nu0

KickBeaten Down

Is the TV AV Mode set to Game, and if so, have you tried both standard and high motion settings under Advanced, Game Type? And are Quad Pixel Plus 2 and Digital Noise Reduction set to Off?

Is the TV AV Mode set to Game, and if so, have you tried both standard and high motion settings under Advanced, Game Type? And are Quad Pixel Plus 2 and Digital Noise Reduction set to Off?
    All the "special stuff" is off. I can't stand any of it. The television was also professionally calibrated and set up by an ISF calibrator. The calibration guy agreed with me and said it was best to leave all that stuff off. No quad-pixel stuff, no motion interpolation, etc. The television is as close to native as you can get.

I don't use game mode at any time, but there are no problems with any other game, nor is there a problem with the Xbox 360.

KickBeaten Down

Well, since we are troubleshooting, can you give Game Mode a try with the two different Game Type settings?

I am sure you weren't attempting to be condescending, but it came off that way. It is a problem with the game.
    I wasn't being condescending. I was pointing out 2 possible causes of lag that I have personally experienced myself. If you are absolutely confident that neither of those things are the cause of the lag, then fine. I would personally test them myself to be certain. But that's just me.

Hey guys, I think you can disregard my update above about the possibility of different controllers behaving differently. Both of mine were the same last night when I tested. I think it was in my head. Using my phone to video the test like others have done in this thread helped me to see clearly whether the issue was occurring or not.

In my case, the lag is present most of the time, but occasionally, for some reason, I can have a lag free gaming session. (Rare)

I have nothing to back this up, but my gut tells me that this issue exists at OS level. Because I see the issue in other games, as well as on the dashboard, I do not believe Zen Studios can fix this issue. I believe we need to be chasing Microsoft.

@TheTerrorBeyond - Let's look at this another way. Try going to the dashboard and recording a similar video like you have been, but record movements within the dashboard. I see the same lag there as I do in the game on my end. Same with navigating menus in NHL 15. Everything feels sluggish, but I think it's all input delay. I think this issue is way bigger then we realize to be honest, and I think pinball FX is just the one game that can be unplayable depending on how bad the issue may be for that user.

Hey guys, I think you can disregard my update above about the possibility of different controllers behaving differently. Both of mine were the same last night when I tested. I think it was in my head. Using my phone to video the test like others have done in this thread helped me to see clearly whether the issue was occurring or not.

In my case, the lag is present most of the time, but occasionally, for some reason, I can have a lag free gaming session. (Rare)

I have nothing to back this up, but my gut tells me that this issue exists at OS level. Because I see the issue in other games, as well as on the dashboard, I do not believe Zen Studios can fix this issue. I believe we need to be chasing Microsoft.

@TheTerrorBeyond - Let's look at this another way. Try going to the dashboard and recording a similar video like you have been, but record movements within the dashboard. I see the same lag there as I do in the game on my end. Same with navigating menus in NHL 15. Everything feels sluggish, but I think it's all input delay. I think this issue is way bigger then we realize to be honest, and I think pinball FX is just the one game that can be unplayable depending on how bad the issue may be for that user.
    I can't disagree... Microsoft is likely the culprit here. I would expect that the codebase was just updated from the Xbox 360 and that the subsystem was about the same. This leaves only the Xbox One as the problem... but it is odd that only some people have the issue.

I am just going to let it go and try every once in a while when Microsoft updates the Xbox One OS and see if it gets better... I still have a 360, so I can play pinball. That'll have to work for now.

This issue seems to have been corrected with the latest controller firmware. Can anyone else confirm?

Make sure you have the February update for the console, then do a firmware update on all your controllers.

I can't see any lag whatsoever after doing this.

Also, the controller now turns on much quicker too.

This issue seems to have been corrected with the latest controller firmware. Can anyone else confirm?

Make sure you have the February update for the console, then do a firmware update on all your controllers.

I can't see any lag whatsoever after doing this.

Also, the controller now turns on much quicker too.
    How do you do a firmware update on the controller?

Quote Originally Posted by boyjohn View Post
    How do you do a firmware update on the controller?
    Connect it to your Xbox One via micro USB and it should prompt you to update or start automatically. If it doesn't, go Menu > Settings > System > Controller update.

Connect it to your Xbox One via micro USB and it should prompt you to update or start automatically. If it doesn't, go Menu > Settings > System > Controller update.
    thanks

YES!! The latest patch fixed my flipper delay! Now this game plays as smooth as the PS4 or PC/Steam!

AWESOME! Just do like the community manager said and update the controller! A++++++++

This definitely needs a sticky

This is an issue that will come up again and again because a lot of people do not bother to update their controllers, or know that it's even possible.

Not only that, it hasn't fixed my girlfriend's game, so the console update (which we get early as we're both in the preview program), and the pad update, is not a definite be-all-and-end-all solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast