Thread: Today's update crashes on startup

Default Today's update crashes on startup

Actually, I was sure to already find a thread about this, am I the only one experiencing this?

I was eagerly awaiting today's update to instabuy the Core Collection.

Sadly, it crashes every time at startup and all it shows is a black screen.
    I even deleted the App, reset the iPad and redownloaded, just to have the same thing happen again.

I am running it on iPad Air 128, iOS 8.1, lots of free space.
    Downloaded from the Austrian Appstore.

Please fix !!!!

I have also crash after crash

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by RedRioja View Post
    Actually, I was sure to already find a thread about this, am I the only one experiencing this?

I even deleted the App, reset the iPad and redownloaded, just to have the same thing happen again.

Please fix !!!!
    Same here. The updated version crashes on both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air 2, both running iOS 8.1. At first, it froze at the table selection screen. Each subsequent load goes through the flash screens, then freezes with a black screen where the table selection screen would be.

Same here. App is not working at all after the update. All I have is a black screen on the iPad mini.

Thumbs down Likewise crashes on iPhone 6 iOS 8 and iPad air

Quote Originally Posted by RedRioja View Post

Please fix !!!!
    Same here on my iPhone 6 and my iPad air - shoddy testing of releases even more so because I hadn't updated the iPad version after deletion and reset on the phone but still got same issue. Even with airplane mode on crashes which suggests some backend issue and some handshaking going on - essentially my iPad version hadn't changed since last night as I was in airplane mode and hadn't updated it. Clearly when I first tried it something went on that now causes it too to crash on startup.
    Testing is a quality threshold for virtual products - developers need to be held to account - not just meet release deadlines towards new products in time for Christmas !

Unhappy Startup Crash

Ipad Air 128g running IOS 8.1 ... same problem...

Default Check the Appstore

Well, I am sort of glad that I am not the only one having this problem.

When I check Zen Pinball on the Appstore, it cureently does not show me any IAP for it.
    Do you see the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Juik View Post
    I have also crash after crash
    Quote Originally Posted by StewAtTheU View Post
    Same here. App is not working at all after the update. All I have is a black screen on the iPad mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howardw View Post
    Same here on my iPhone 6 and my iPad air - shoddy testing of releases even more so because I hadn't updated the iPad version after deletion and reset on the phone but still got same issue. Even with airplane mode on crashes which suggests some backend issue and some handshaking going on - essentially my iPad version hadn't changed since last night as I was in airplane mode and hadn't updated it. Clearly when I first tried it something went on that now causes it too to crash on startup.
    Testing is a quality threshold for virtual products - developers need to be held to account - not just meet release deadlines towards new products in time for Christmas !
    What iOS version are you running? Please let me know ASAP so we can get this fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    What iOS version are you running? Please let me know ASAP so we can get this fixed.
    I'm running IOS 8.1

Same here. iPhone 6 on 8.1

And, just for your info, I opened up the app before I updated to the latest version. It went to the screen with tables, and the popup for the 4 new tables appeared. Then when I tried to tap continue, the whole thing froze. I force quit the app and restarted it, then the black screen thing happened. Again, this was all before I updated the app.

After updating the app, the same thing as others have described happened. Two title pages and Game Center login showed up, but then a black screen when it should be the list of tables.

Hope that helps!

Default Same issue

iOS 8.1 on iPad m2

Thanks guys - we're on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerutix View Post
    Same here. iPhone 6 on 8.1

And, just for your info, I opened up the app before I updated to the latest version. It went to the screen with tables, and the popup for the 4 new tables appeared. Then when I tried to tap continue, the whole thing froze. I force quit the app and restarted it, then the black screen thing happened. Again, this was all before I updated the app.

After updating the app, the same thing as others have described happened. Two title pages and Game Center login showed up, but then a black screen when it should be the list of tables.

Hope that helps!
    Same for me

Default Same problem!!!!

I was realy happy with the anoucement of Some new tables today and had to update,
    Have bought all the previous tables and enjoy playing Them daily.
    After the update, nothing works anymore.
    I'm running IOS 8.1.
    Please fix!!!!!!
    Last edited by Easypat; 11-13-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling

Default Good to hear

Thanks guys - we're on it!
    Hi Barbie,

thanks for commenting and a acknowledging.
    iOS 8.1 too here.

Now hurry up, so I can buy the new tables ;-)

Cheers!

This should now be fixed, please reinstall and you should be good to go

Default Yep!

This should now be fixed, please reinstall and you should be good to go
    Yep, whatever you did, it seemed to have worked for me.
    It's just downloading my tables again, which will take a while since I have all of them ;-)

Here's a virtual peck on the cheek from me Barbie, that was fast!

Cheers!

When I uninstalled/reinstalled, all of my scores and progress were all gone. This was especially troublesome for tables like Epic Quest. Right now I am trying a system restore on my iPad in hopes that all my data can be recovered, but needless to say I am not at all pleased. I have a lot of things on my iPad and having to go and restore my whole device in hopes that maybe my data will be there is horrible. In the future be more careful with your updates and test them thoroughly before they are released. I know for now on, I likely will be waiting to read comments on here before I update anything myself.

Default Will there be a patch to fix the bad patch?

Having to unistall and lose all progress completely defeats the purpose of Zen.

Angry Crashes in OS X Yosemite

Downloaded all four of the new tables and now Zen pinball won't open. Getting an error message stating there is a start up error and need to reload. Went to the app store but all it will let me do is "open" the app which puts me right back where I started. I'm running OS X Yosemite on a mid-2012 mac mini with 16Gb ram and quad core I7.
    Last edited by lazerbeam; 11-13-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: provide system info

Quote Originally Posted by StewAtTheU View Post
    When I uninstalled/reinstalled, all of my scores and progress were all gone. This was especially troublesome for tables like Epic Quest. Right now I am trying a system restore on my iPad in hopes that all my data can be recovered, but needless to say I am not at all pleased. I have a lot of things on my iPad and having to go and restore my whole device in hopes that maybe my data will be there is horrible. In the future be more careful with your updates and test them thoroughly before they are released. I know for now on, I likely will be waiting to read comments on here before I update anything myself.
    This happened to me a lot everytime Zen had an update it would reset my Epic Quest rank. I wasn't very concerned about my local scores because I had my Global scores on Game Center. But I think there is a way to make a backup of your scores now. I mostly play the Steam version now but I recall correctly I think there is a profile.dat file that contains all your local save data that can be backed up through iTunes. I'm not sure it will help you recover your lost data but I think it will help prevent any further loss in the future if you make sure to create a copy of that file before updating or removing/reinstalling the app.

Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    This happened to me a lot everytime Zen had an update it would reset my Epic Quest rank. I wasn't very concerned about my local scores because I had my Global scores on Game Center. But I think there is a way to make a backup of your scores now. I mostly play the Steam version now but I recall correctly I think there is a profile.dat file that contains all your local save data that can be backed up through iTunes. I'm not sure it will help you recover your lost data but I think it will help prevent any further loss in the future if you make sure to create a copy of that file before updating or removing/reinstalling the app.
    Epic Quest and Super League Football are my main concerns, although even with game center some of the scores are not accurate. I know I broke 500mil on Super League Football and Gamecenter only had me around 350mil. Also, the leaderboards for some of the Star Wars Pinball tables are off (Darth Vader, Starfighter Assault, Return of the Jedi). I'm just hoping after my restore is done, my icloud data from 2 days ago will fix everything.

Luckily it appears that icloud saved the day. Still a pain. I am still waiting for about 7 GB of data to restore on my iPad. Will probably take another 2 hours to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    Having to unistall and lose all progress completely defeats the purpose of Zen.
    No, everything was fixed from our side, so no new patch is needed. Only a reinstall can fix it, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerbeam View Post
    Downloaded all four of the new tables and now Zen pinball won't open. Getting an error message stating there is a start up error and need to reload. Went to the app store but all it will let me do is "open" the app which puts me right back where I started. I'm running OS X Yosemite on a mid-2012 mac mini with 16Gb ram and quad core I7.
    Does it say it needs to reload or be reinstalled? Can you let me know the exact wording of the error message?

Thanks for the quick fix. Now, I have restored purchases and everything works but I had also bought a team table for Super League Football and it has not been restored. If I purchase it again, will the system detect that I had done already? I am not a big football fan and don't feel like Real Madrid taking money twice from me. ;-)

Default Pfffffff..........

What a Nice update,
    It costed me quite sometime to re-install all the 37 tables.
    Most of my scores are back but I am missing my results from 3 tables.
    I think they should give us the new tables for free for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by iBadomar View Post
    Thanks for the quick fix. Now, I have restored purchases and everything works but I had also bought a team table for Super League Football and it has not been restored. If I purchase it again, will the system detect that I had done already? I am not a big football fan and don't feel like Real Madrid taking money twice from me. ;-)
    You should be able to tap the table icon itself to download it individually.

Default Poor

No, everything was fixed from our side, so no new patch is needed. Only a reinstall can fix it, sorry.
    Bad form love, people are losing their achievements all over the show (and with previous patches) and you think "everything is fixed from your side"?

Not on.

Reason to kick the Zen habit.

You should be able to tap the table icon itself to download it individually.

It asks my iTunes password to go to the AppStore. After that it does not download but asks me to buy the table by 1.89€. It seems that the AppStore does not remember my previous purchase.

It asks my iTunes password to go to the AppStore. After that it does not download but asks me to buy the table by 1.89€. It seems that the AppStore does not remember my previous purchase.
    Is it possible that you purchased it on a different account? If not - try restarting and then try the shopping cart icon again. Let me know how it goes!

Is it possible that you purchased it on a different account? If not - try restarting and then try the shopping cart icon again. Let me know how it goes!
    I only have one account. It asks for purchasing by entering the password a second time.

I only have one account. It asks for purchasing by entering the password a second time.
    Restart + shopping cart didn't help?

@iBadomar: If you are trying to download a single table manually, I am pretty sure it is normal that Apple asks you to buy the table again even if you already own it. Once you hit the buy button another dialog box will pop up saying that you already own it and it will start downloading it for free. This is a stupid system by Apple because it doesn't alert you that you already own it until after you hit the buy button, but it has been that way for all DLC that needs to be reinstalled. The only warning I would give you if you are manually downloading it is to make sure you choose the correct soccer team that you purchased before or else it will charge you again because each skin is a separate DLC.

@iBadomar: If you are trying to download a single table manually, I am pretty sure it is normal that Apple asks you to buy the table again even if you already own it. Once you hit the buy button another dialog box will pop up saying that you already own it and it will start downloading it for free. This is a stupid system by Apple because it doesn't alert you that you already own it until after you hit the buy button, but it has been that way for all DLC that needs to be reinstalled. The only warning I would give you if you are manually downloading it is to make sure you choose the correct soccer team that you purchased before or else it will charge you again because each skin is a separate DLC.
    I can confirm this. If you already purchased a table it will ask you to buy it again at full price. Do so! After you click yes you will get a message that it appears you already purchased this table feel free to download it again for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Easypat View Post
    What a Nice update,
    It costed me quite sometime to re-install all the 37 tables.
    Most of my scores are back but I am missing my results from 3 tables.
    I think they should give us the new tables for free for the inconvenience.
    I'll settle for finally getting the Plants vs. Zombies table released for the iPad. It is long overdue.

Does it say it needs to reload or be reinstalled? Can you let me know the exact wording of the error message?

Yes it say to delete and reload. Worried about losing all my data and and tables that I purchased.
    “Zen Pinball 2” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “Zen Pinball 2” and download it again from the App Store.

So I deleted Zen and reloaded but have lost all of my table purchases. Is there anyway to get them back without buying them again?

Quote Originally Posted by lazerbeam View Post
    So I deleted Zen and reloaded but have lost all of my table purchases. Is there anyway to get them back without buying them again?
    Click the shopping cart icon to download any purchased tables

Quote Originally Posted by barbiebobomb View Post
    this should now be fixed, please reinstall and you should be good to go
    thx!!!!

Click the shopping cart icon to download any purchased tables

Got them restored but unfortunately I lost all the old scores... Oh well, at least its running again.

Thank you very much. You are right. I just tried and it worked exactly as you said.

Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday I was offline the whole day.

Default Mac osx 10.9

have to reinstall after each download. this happens every time there is a new table. By the comments this seems to be a common problem. Do I just have to download every table, every time I want to play? or should I just go f*&% myself?

Default Update V1.21

The App crashes also using iPad-3 with IOS 5.1.1 !

It's not really a crash, because the App comes up with normal screen - results into 'blackscreen', but it can be terminated by
    pressing the home-button. No crash-report log will be generated.

Best regards
    Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The App crashes also using iPad-3 with IOS 5.1.1 !

It's not really a crash, because the App comes up with normal screen - results into 'blackscreen', but it can be terminated by
    pressing the home-button. No crash-report log will be generated.

Best regards
    Hicks
    Delete the app, reinstall and click the shopping cart icon to restore your purchases.

Default Crashes on Startup -- Family account requiring authorization

I recently set up my son's iPad with the new iCloud family account, and Zen pinball won't launch on his iPad. It's an iPad mini 16GB WiFi only, and his iCloud account is set up for authorization of purchases. Zen pinball runs fine on our other two iPad Minis, which are using the regular iCloud accounts -- not the one requiring authorization.

Could the new Family features in iCloud be causing the black screen hang before the splash? I've tried deleting, re-installing, reverting the iPad to factory defaults (iOS 8.3 only, then restore from backup), and none of those techniques has solved the problem.

This is my son's favorite game. He's distraught not to have it available after giving him his own iCloud account.

How can I help debug this behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by esbailey View Post
    I recently set up my son's iPad with the new iCloud family account, and Zen pinball won't launch on his iPad. It's an iPad mini 16GB WiFi only, and his iCloud account is set up for authorization of purchases. Zen pinball runs fine on our other two iPad Minis, which are using the regular iCloud accounts -- not the one requiring authorization.

Could the new Family features in iCloud be causing the black screen hang before the splash? I've tried deleting, re-installing, reverting the iPad to factory defaults (iOS 8.3 only, then restore from backup), and none of those techniques has solved the problem.

This is my son's favorite game. He's distraught not to have it available after giving him his own iCloud account.

I have a mini and I've had lots of weird crashing issues with it (for a few different apps). Let me check with the team and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by esbailey View Post

Hi again, are you still having this issue? Are you still using iOS 8.3?

If you're still having trouble, try a factory reset without restoring from backup. When the factory reset is complete, try to download ZP from the AppStore (do not login to iCloud). If the game works, you can try to restore the tables from in-game menu. Let me know if that doesn't work.