Thread: This can't be impossible, but...

Default This can't be impossible, but...

OK so there is this player who posts phenomenal scores on youtube. I watch him complete this move all the time and just cannot pull it off!

If I lose a ball in the outlanes, that's all she wrote! Unless I have a magna save or kick back or whatever. But this player is constantly able to recover the balls by hitting the flipper on the same side and somehow nudging the table at the right time.. when the ball is almost drained.

I sort of get what he's doing but have not once been able to get it to work. I have tried tapping the left stick in every direction, and at what I think is the right spot for the ball to be in at the right time. To no avail....

Anyone who has mastered this technique want to elaborate on it? It is either extremely difficult or I am doing it wrong. Or maybe it's a bit of both of those reasons. Thanks!
    Last edited by steven120566; 04-25-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Default Technical term is: bang back?

Quote Originally Posted by steven120566 View Post
    OK so there is this player who posts phenomenal scores on youtube. I watch him complete this move all the time and just cannot pull it off!

If I lose a ball in the outlanes, that's all she wrote! Unless I have a magna save or kick back or whatever. But this player is constantly able to recover the balls by hitting the flipper on the same side and somehow nudging the table at the right time.. when the ball is almost drained.

I sort of get what he's doing but have not once been able to get it to work. I have tried tapping the left stick in every direction, and at what I think is the right spot for the ball to be in at the right time. To no avail....

Anyone who has mastered this technique want to elaborate on it? It is either extremely difficult or I am doing it wrong. Or maybe it's a bit of both of those reasons. Thanks!
    Found many descriptions but I still can't do it. I think I must not be nudging correctly with the controller. How can the right way to do this be described?

Yes. It is called a bang back. Here is an example.

https://youtu.be/8pcVIAlbsxk

In this scenario, when the ball is draining down the left outlane, you raise the left flipper and nudge in a 1-2 o'clock direction with the analog stick. The best table to practice bang backs on is Fear Itself.

It's easier on some tables than others. I also find it much easier when it's on the right outlane; I think it's related to how I hold the controller.

Practice it and you'll get the hang of it. Took me a while.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

Some tables are easier then others but yeah I've done this on some table upwards of about 50% of the time. Other tables seem much harder. The speed of the ball is a big factor in getting this done as some balls drop slower through the outlanes.
    Proud member of the Hyna Gang! Keeping pinball alive on the Wii U!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech101 View Post
    Some tables are easier then others but yeah I've done this on some table upwards of about 50% of the time. Other tables seem much harder. The speed of the ball is a big factor in getting this done as some balls drop slower through the outlanes.
    Thanks guys,

Still attempting this... ALMOST got one on wild west rampage, but i flipped the ball back too late and just missed completing it. I think I am not using the control stick the right way. It says 2:00 or 1:00 but seemed more like 8:00 worked on the one I almost got lol.

Honestly i just use 12 o'clock every time. It seems to work best for me.
    Proud member of the Hyna Gang! Keeping pinball alive on the Wii U!

The problem is the difference between analog and digital nudging.

Analog diagonal nudging is not as powerful as digital nudging. Therefore if you want to be able to do bang backs consistently, you basically must use digital nudging.

I'm not familiar with all platforms, but on Steam FX2 you can either use the keyboard, map nudging to the d-pad instead of the analog stick, or map the keyboard nudge controls to controller buttons using third party input mapping software.

I also have a guide that explains this and more: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=308089691