Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Nudging will Plunge?

  1. #1

    Question Nudging will Plunge?

    As has been mentioned in the technical support thread, but never acknowledged.


    Why does nudging on the plunge screen cause the ball to be plunged on most of the tables. This had been fixed previously, but has been creeping back in over the last 5 builds, and has been getting worse.

    3 droids same response, doesn't matter how Zen is set up, or if I use touch screen or a controller (bluetooth, or a shield wi-fi one) the same thing happens.


    Please fix or at least acknowledge you are aware of it.

    These creeping UX bugs make it appear as if there is no actual development for this platform apart from port and dump.

  2. #2
    Table Designer Croftanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Not sure why this feature is in, but I remove it on all my tables... it seems unnecessary to me.

    I'll probably find out now why it's in for some super important reason, and all my tables are broke

  3. #3
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Croftanator View Post
    Not sure why this feature is in, but I remove it on all my tables... it seems unnecessary to me.

    I'll probably find out now why it's in for some super important reason, and all my tables are broke
    Many real pinball tables have this feature, so we have began to implement it in some of our tables. It is kind of a designer decision however, this is why it isn't there in every Zen tables.

  4. #4
    Table Designer Croftanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Well, that's true of course, though I certainly think it's one of the least important aspects At least I can sleep easy knowing my tables are boned anyway

  5. #5
    Senior Member jaredmorgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    137

    Default

    @Croftanator and @deep is there any chance we could get analog plunge implemented for the built-in controller scheme.

    The native Android controller support is pretty great for Zen Android, but the lack of analog plunge makes it really hard to get those skill shots you guys take so much time in setting for us.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    Many real pinball tables have this feature, so we have began to implement it in some of our tables. It is kind of a designer decision however, this is why it isn't there in every Zen tables.
    Name one :?
    The only "move" that comes close is on traditional plungers where you can push the plunger forward, rather hard and fast, to do some skill shots or to make a fast plunge. This is hard on the mechanics, but sure looks cool; it may register as a "nudge" if it is done too hard or if the tilt bob is too sensitive. Otherwise I cannot think of a single machine where a nudge will launch the ball, unless you actually TILT the machine.

    The problem with the nudge to plunge on digital pinball, especially on touch screen, is that when playing on small screen, or if you fat finger the camera button (with how the UI is set-up), you plunge the ball when you don't mean to. This merely adds frustration, not a sense of realism.

    I would second the request for an analogue nudge in controller support. It has been requested numerous times, but seems to always be greeted with silence.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jaredmorgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n3tizen View Post
    Name one :?
    ...
    Otherwise I cannot think of a single machine where a nudge will launch the ball, unless you actually TILT the machine.

    The problem with the nudge to plunge on digital pinball, especially on touch screen, is that when playing on small screen, or if you fat finger the camera button (with how the UI is set-up), you plunge the ball when you don't mean to. This merely adds frustration, not a sense of realism.

    I would second the request for an analogue nudge in controller support. It has been requested numerous times, but seems to always be greeted with silence.
    I think Bram Stokers Dracula has this feature.

    I can see how on small screens this would be a pain.

  8. #8
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n3tizen View Post
    Name one :?
    The only "move" that comes close is on traditional plungers where you can push the plunger forward, rather hard and fast, to do some skill shots or to make a fast plunge. This is hard on the mechanics, but sure looks cool; it may register as a "nudge" if it is done too hard or if the tilt bob is too sensitive. Otherwise I cannot think of a single machine where a nudge will launch the ball, unless you actually TILT the machine.

    The problem with the nudge to plunge on digital pinball, especially on touch screen, is that when playing on small screen, or if you fat finger the camera button (with how the UI is set-up), you plunge the ball when you don't mean to. This merely adds frustration, not a sense of realism.

    I would second the request for an analogue nudge in controller support. It has been requested numerous times, but seems to always be greeted with silence.
    I agree that there is no sense to have this feature on digital pinball. I think most of the modern machines with autoplungers all have this feature. I think it is a defense system against the bully players who liked to nudge the table with no reason.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jaredmorgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    I agree that there is no sense to have this feature on digital pinball. I think most of the modern machines with autoplungers all have this feature. I think it is a defense system against the bully players who liked to nudge the table with no reason.
    Or a way to launch the ball if the operator has not activated "flipper plunge" when the launch button fails. But that would be rare.

    I would agree with @n3tizen that it should be removed.

    While I've got you two in this thread, is the practice of stronger mechanical elements (sling shots and bumpers) being adopted among Zen table designers? I remember being delighted to see the stronger slings on the Star Wars table, but it seems that the last couple of releases have featured soft slings.

  10. #10
    Table Designer deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmorgs View Post
    While I've got you two in this thread, is the practice of stronger mechanical elements (sling shots and bumpers) being adopted among Zen table designers? I remember being delighted to see the stronger slings on the Star Wars table, but it seems that the last couple of releases have featured soft slings.
    All of the future tables will have the more active slings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •