Match Up Mode Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gaz5021
    • Feb 2013

I can confirm that the Domination bonus goes up to at least 25.

Comment

• SteveValek
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by cantankerous--
      I think the highest is 70?? 40 for taking the hardest + 15 diversity for playing each table once and 15 for domination? Anyway, assume instead he got the 40 plus 15 for diversity equals 55. Each match is 3 minutes plus a minute of waiting for menus so roughly 15 matches per hour assuming he played non stop he would make 825 points in one hour times 10 hours your looking at 8250 so one could easily achieve 6500 points in 27 hours.
      Thanks..thought it was lower,and doing the maths,it works out.

Comment

• cantankerous--
        Pinball Wizard
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by SteveValek
        Thanks..thought it was lower,and doing the maths,it works out.
        Truthfully Steve. The guys you see running up scores like this are not trying their hardest each and every game and doing that for tens of hours because to do so would mean to have to outdo yourself each and every time as the challenge scores continue to rise. They are playing all 4 tables to max the diversity bonus and while doing so getting as low a score as needed to exceed the target score so that next week or weeks further ahead when this table goes back into rotation they will have a lower score to have to beat, because if you did not know if you end the match up tournament with a table at say 30 million the next time you play it stays at that same point. No restarts. So the obvious technique to maximize points is to get the diversity gimme and then find a table you can easily beat the lowest highest bracketed target score and beat it by as little as possible and then just let the balls drain. Doing this means the next challenger you face will be either close in points to beat or just slightly higher. Ya, see what a fn grind it is?
        Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
        2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
        3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
        sigpic

Comment

• gaz5021
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cantankerous--
          Truthfully Steve. The guys you see running up scores like this are not trying their hardest each and every game and doing that for tens of hours because to do so would mean to have to outdo yourself each and every time as the challenge scores continue to rise. They are playing all 4 tables to max the diversity bonus and while doing so getting as low a score as needed to exceed the target score so that next week or weeks further ahead when this table goes back into rotation they will have a lower score to have to beat, because if you did not know if you end the match up tournament with a table at say 30 million the next time you play it stays at that same point. No restarts. So the obvious technique to maximize points is to get the diversity gimme and then find a table you can easily beat the lowest highest bracketed target score and beat it by as little as possible and then just let the balls drain. Doing this means the next challenger you face will be either close in points to beat or just slightly higher. Ya, see what a fn grind it is?
          This is a bit sad. I don't have the time to keep up with the grind (and I like spending most of my time playing regular games anyway). I really like the challenge of working out the best way to maximise my score over 3 minutes but this explains why my efforts aren't rewarded like they probably should - assuming what you've said is correct. Thanks.

Comment

• SteveValek
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by gaz5021
            This is a bit sad. I don't have the time to keep up with the grind (and I like spending most of my time playing regular games anyway). I really like the challenge of working out the best way to maximise my score over 3 minutes but this explains why my efforts aren't rewarded like they probably should - assuming what you've said is correct. Thanks.
            Cantankerous is correct (Thanks buddy!)

Like you,I have limited time,so I've spent this week,picking the highest target score and played til I've hit the green score required,then let every ball run out,until the timer ends...
            It's the only way in which you can limit the pain of the grind system,and climb the leaderboard quicker.
            Only downside,is that,at times,you're waiting for your ball to drop,and it gets trapped in bumpers,and suddenly you've racked up a few million more(even domination)over the target score..
            Then,I have to lose 3/4 consecutive tables,in order to LOWER the highest score target again!

Comment

• gaz5021
              • Feb 2013

Cantankerous is correct (Thanks buddy!)

Like you,I have limited time,so I've spent this week,picking the highest target score and played til I've hit the green score required,then let every ball run out,until the timer ends...
              It's the only way in which you can limit the pain of the grind system,and climb the leaderboard quicker.
              Only downside,is that,at times,you're waiting for your ball to drop,and it gets trapped in bumpers,and suddenly you've racked up a few million more(even domination)over the target score..
              Then,I have to lose 3/4 consecutive tables,in order to LOWER the highest score target again!
              I still don't understand this strategy. Is it really so unenjoyable to play out the rest of the game? The double score bonus in the final 30 seconds adds a bit more strategy as well, to maximise your output. Or are you just determined to keep your target scores as low as possible? As I said in my earlier post: I play for the highest score possible each time, and after a while, the target scores all start going down. Occasionally a higher score will appear, which seems to be when someone else puts it up. Surely the Domination points gained each time outweighs the "risk" of not making it to the target score?

Maybe I just answered my own question and explained the strategy to myself. If one finds themselves missing the target score regularly, obviously keeping it low IS worth missing a few Domination points for the sake of the long-term grind.

Comment

• cantankerous--
                Pinball Wizard
                • Nov 2016

I still don't understand this strategy. Is it really so unenjoyable to play out the rest of the game? The double score bonus in the final 30 seconds adds a bit more strategy as well, to maximise your output. Or are you just determined to keep your target scores as low as possible? As I said in my earlier post: I play for the highest score possible each time, and after a while, the target scores all start going down. Occasionally a higher score will appear, which seems to be when someone else puts it up. Surely the Domination points gained each time outweighs the "risk" of not making it to the target score?

Maybe I just answered my own question and explained the strategy to myself. If one finds themselves missing the target score regularly, obviously keeping it low IS worth missing a few Domination points for the sake of the long-term grind.
                Exactly. The point of pinball is to get the highest score. Sadly, in order to achieve that objective in this mode it's currently, and I say currently because I think they are retooling it. Hope so anyway, but ya, currently the best way to go up the rankings is to do as I described above. I can tell you Im more into xp farming and dont spend much time in grinding the match up mode. I once got to level 2 and that is as far as I have spent on it, because I just dont have the time or interest to just go for the minimum score needed and just sit there. I once got 3 1/2 billion points just from pushing the triangle with the multiplyer thingy at just the right second and did that in one minute so going back to getting hardly any xp for 3 minutes is hardly an option anymore compared to getting 30 thousand xp in one minute if done perfectly, which I have only done once, but that was only yesterday, and I will figure it out............................................... ........No, I wont be telling any of you how I can get 3 and 1/2 billion in a minute if done perfectly.................I only done it once and tried to vid capture it, but didnt have the u/i configured correctly and it didnt capture because of licensed audio.

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
                3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
                sigpic

Comment

• SteveValek
                  • Dec 2017

It's only from today,and from constant play of the same table,that the highest target score has remained on about 3.5 million...
                  Can't understand why it would increase one minute,then remain roughly the same target score the next...
                  Still,it will give me an easier ride to the next league,but can't say it's fair or right

Comment

• cantankerous--
                    Pinball Wizard
                    • Nov 2016

It's only from today,and from constant play of the same table,that the highest target score has remained on about 3.5 million...
                    Can't understand why it would increase one minute,then remain roughly the same target score the next...
                    Still,it will give me an easier ride to the next league,but can't say it's fair or right
                    Hmmmm, just tried to validate what you were saying and on my end I actually started the American Dad table to find it was at 3.5 million to begin and after completion the next tier was 9.5 million so, ya, if this is just a way of making us all try our hardest and max out the system. You got me..................................just kidding, I dont even play this shit. Not sure why it is stuck on 3 1/2 million for you, but awesome. Yesterday I got 3 1/2 billion just from pushing the multiplyer button at the right time. Shit happens????

sigpic

Comment

• SteveValek
                      • Dec 2017

I can confirm that the Domination bonus goes up to at least 25.
                      I got 80 points ...that's 45 points+25 domination and 15 diversity

Didn't intend to,but the ball hit something and my target score of 2 million was hit with 45 million!

Comment

• cantankerous--
                        Pinball Wizard
                        • Nov 2016

I don't normally play this mode, but did last week and was advanced to the next level which was level one??? Do you start at Zero?

sigpic

Comment

Working...