• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McLovin
    Marketing Manager
    • Apr 2017

Hey everyone,

little update on the matchup system:

- There will be a change to what scores you will have to beat, you will get increased goals as you progress higher in a league (like in Bethesda Pinball the mobile game). So a win will mean more in the future.

- The diversity bonus supposed to work like this: play 1 table - 0 bonus, 2 tables - 5 bonus, 3 tables - 10 bonues, 4 tables - 15 bonus points

- You might have been on the brink of the line cantankerous, although I agree that the icon was not clear indication if you are in or not. This will be worked on as well.

Comment

• Uwe
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by McLovin
      Hey everyone,

little update on the matchup system:

- There will be a change to what scores you will have to beat, you will get increased goals as you progress higher in a league (like in Bethesda Pinball the mobile game). So a win will mean more in the future.

- The diversity bonus supposed to work like this: play 1 table - 0 bonus, 2 tables - 5 bonus, 3 tables - 10 bonues, 4 tables - 15 bonus points

- You might have been on the brink of the line cantankerous, although I agree that the icon was not clear indication if you are in or not. This will be worked on as well.
      so if i understood you correctly the system will stay as it is in bronze1,if you make it to the next higher league score will be more of a deciding factor than playtime?

Comment

• cantankerous--
        Pinball Wizard
        • Nov 2016

I cant exactly remember the breakdown of my results. It was either 297 wins and 11 losses or 197 wins and 11 losses of which many of the wins I dominated and mostly always took the hardest opponent. In any case if I have to play 200 or 300 hundred 5 minute matches to not even make it in the top 20%. Good luck to the rest of you. I got a life. And its interesting to note, before the patch, in round one I scrolled those playing and saw over 7000, so to be in top 20 you only needed to be in top 1400, in round two I scrolled the leaderboard and could only see top 100. It would no longer allow me to see how many actually participated. Also, good to note every time I scrolled the leaderboards it would glitch out and shut me down with an error report.
        Last edited by cantankerous--; 10-10-2017, 12:17 PM.
        Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
        2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
        3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
        sigpic

Comment

• Zxlpxxxxx
          • Oct 2017

Yeah, this matchup system is pretty stupid. It just amounts to who plays the most. It's a useless grind. As much as I hate being limited, Bethesda Pinball on Android limits you to at most 9 games per day in the matchup mode. It at least puts everyone on an even playing field time wise.

Comment

• t33
            • Nov 2017

I was excited about the matchup mode at first, but in reality it's a huge disappointment. You have to play many games to reach the top 20%. And the more games people play, the more games you need to play to climb up. It's ridiculous! In the end it's about who puts in the most time to play the most games.

Unless the system is changed I see no point in participating.

Comment

• McLovin
              Marketing Manager
              • Apr 2017

Understandable, still working on tuning the mode. Probably beating harder opponents will be rewarded more to make skill matter more.

Comment

• SteveValek
                • Dec 2017

Yeah,I'm just losing enjoyment,and just playing to keep my league place.
                I can't really understand how,that on the first few days after restart,there's top scores of 1500/2000 +?
                Like what's been said,it's down to TIME and not skill,and I just can't hold interest to constantly hammer the same tables,to slowly progress up.

Another question,is that shouldn't the Mini games for each table NOT be timed?
                The cutscenes are not timed,but with just 3 minutes,I just leave the ball to drop out,because scoring adequately takes too much time,and renders the whole thing POINTLESS..

What do others think?

Comment

• Harest
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by McLovin
                  Seems like it doesn't work properly.
                  In the current league someone i know is #7 with 1900+ points and only one table : Pasha. Apparently he just beats the scores by a little and stop there so he only gets low scores. Maybe he also loses deliberately to lower the scores sometimes. Here is a screenshot (in french) :
                  pm3ebHL.jpg

I think some tweaking is needed here to take higher scores depending on your position in the leaderboard for instance. Which scores to take is the problem. If all (or many of) the top players are abusing this, then the top scores in the league should be taken (no matter the rank). Otherwise the scores of the top ranked could fit.
                  Last edited by Harest; 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• cantankerous--
                    Pinball Wizard
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Harest
                    Seems like it doesn't work properly.
                    In the current league someone i know is #7 with 1900+ points and only one table : Pasha. Apparently he just beats the score by a little and stop there so he only gets low scores. Maybe he also loses deliberately to lower the scores sometimes. Here is a screenshot (in french) :
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1062[/ATTACH]

I think some tweaking is needed here to take higher scores depending on your position in the leaderboard for instance. Which scores to take is the problem. If all (or many of) the top players are abusing this, then the top scores in the league should be taken (no matter the rank). Otherwise the scores of the top ranked could fit.
                    First off, this proposed change in the current match up system has not occurred. Not yet. Who knows when it will, but your picture does not clearly tell us, who probably mostly speak english what your issue is. I'm like, huhhhhhhh, what?????? Maybe it's Friday night and I've had too much to drink, but WTF? Not getting it.
                    Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
                    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
                    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Harest
                      • Dec 2017

It didn't occur ? Without abusing the system and playing normally, the scores i need to beat are well increased. Just checked here, i didn't play much and i've 2 tables in the current league. I'm #68, 640 points. On Pasha i need to beat between 6M to 9M4 (i think it lowered since, afair the lowest was 8M last time i checked).

For the issue i'm showing here i thought it was well displayed / summed up. A ranked #7 in the current league with 1900+ points and only one table (Pasha) : Only need to beat scores between 2M8 and 5M, lulz. The trick being as he told me to apparently only beat the scores you need to beat by a small margin. Maybe also to deliberately lose so it'll lower the scores required to be beaten. Since a victory will always give you at least 4 times what you lose in a defeat.
                      Last edited by Harest; 01-13-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• rollerrocker
                        • Feb 2018

Lots of changes should be made with matchup.

1.JPGquik.JPG

Play matchup and beat your opponents score to advance? When do I advance?

I'm so bored playing matchup. Keep score low and do lots is not rewarding. I play 35 points to see how low scores could go down. I got Venom scoring as low as 1000 every launch for 45 points. I just launch and leave. watch tv, write on the forum and launch again. all via remote play. I got other more better things happening and still can launch ball without looking.

Now it is just me and Hidden. Hidden is always my opponent, We are playing leap frog now. If I snooze, I looze. I hired a substitute player to press launch button while I sleep.

Yawn

zero.JPG
                        matchup 2.JPG
                        matchup 5.JPG

Can anybody match or come close to a score this low, and with so many super powers.

Matchup needs a makeover.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Chili
                          Community Representative
                          • Mar 2018

Hey rollerrocker!

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding league Diamond - ""Rise even higher": We understand your problem, it totally makes sense - I forwarded it to our developers, they will solve this problem as soon as possible.

Regarding matchups: Thank you for reporting this issue, I will inform our developers about it! This information is very important for us!

We appreciate your support!

Have a nice day!

Comment

• lovedaddy
                            • Aug 2011

Match up as it stands is a completely flawed and awful concept. You are basically penalized for performing well. The next score to beat is based on the previous one (think a water mark you always need to push upwards), so it works in your best interest to keep the delta change to that as small as possible (ie beat the score by as min as possible).

At the moment, I'm getting moved up leagues by scoring like 1-1.2 million on average per table at the end of the week.

1. Play once on each of the 4 tables (or as many as you have). This gives all the variety bonus.
                            2. Keep selecting max score for 40 points, and beat it by as little as you possibly can (usually holding the ball until time runs out).
                            3. Repeat until you get dulled out.

Scrap the whole mode, concept is broken at the core. I can only see is there to try and promote selling of packs by including one table from a pack that's low in sales per weekly match up.

Comment

• TuttiDeLeon
                              Pinhead
                              • May 2018

Originally posted by lovedaddy
                              Match up as it stands is a completely flawed and awful concept. You are basically penalized for performing well. The next score to beat is based on the previous one (think a water mark you always need to push upwards), so it works in your best interest to keep the delta change to that as small as possible (ie beat the score by as min as possible).

At the moment, I'm getting moved up leagues by scoring like 1-1.2 million on average per table at the end of the week.

1. Play once on each of the 4 tables (or as many as you have). This gives all the variety bonus.
                              2. Keep selecting max score for 40 points, and beat it by as little as you possibly can (usually holding the ball until time runs out).
                              3. Repeat until you get dulled out.

Scrap the whole mode, concept is broken at the core. I can only see is there to try and promote selling of packs by including one table from a pack that's low in sales per weekly match up.
                              You've summed it up perfectly. As things stand, mediocre players are exploiting this system to horrendous lengths. I don't think it needs scrapping though, just tweaking. Players need to be incentivised to score as heavily as possible. Don't punish players for scoring big, reward them accordingly. I really hope Zen are listening!

Comment

• lovedaddy
                                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by TuttiDeLeon
                                You've summed it up perfectly. As things stand, mediocre players are exploiting this system to horrendous lengths. I don't think it needs scrapping though, just tweaking. Players need to be incentivised to score as heavily as possible. Don't punish players for scoring big, reward them accordingly. I really hope Zen are listening!
                                Well they do have the domination bonus, but its completely pointless as the points received from it are massively lower than what you could achieve just grinding.

Example
                                1. Target score is 1 million for 40 matchup points
                                2. You score what is close to your best possible, 20 million, and get 40 match up points, +variety (upto 15 points) + say 20 domination match up points
                                3. You have now locked yourself out of getting any more points on that table, as you've pushed the watermark up so high you can't achieve the simple wins

To me the only way this can work is if they make the match up points a ratio of the table score, but at that point you might as well just have another leaderboard.

The only time I've ever seen this 'water mark' based scoring actually work is in the metropolis street racing / project gotham racing series

Comment

Working...